They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What is the best and most efficient way of resizing a photo?

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Re: What is the best and most efficient way of resizing a ph

Postby videovillageidiot » Sat May 09, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks everyone who has responded. Your ideas are appreciated. - i know you all are trying to help and i know i'm not being clear! Everytime i want to get back to respond, my question gets so complicated i don't have the words restate them! :pull: and i need to go and mow my lawn, so i won't be able to tackle it now, either... :( But i definitely wanted to say THANKS!! and warn that i'll be back when i can express my questions better!

Kent Frost wrote:Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but my favorite batch processing software is irfanview. You tell it the folder of images you want to resize, then you tell it the folder you want to save the new resized files into when it processes them (to avoid overwriting your originals, of course). In the options, you simply tell it how many pixels you want the longest side of the images to be (whether horizontal or vertical - it auto detects the longest side). Just tell it 1920 if they're all horizontal images so that they're on par with HD resolution. As far as that bicubic sharpening setting goes, with this you simply tell it to "resample" the images upon resize and it looks identical to the original, just smaller. It's a powerful batch processing program, but it's got a lot of other features.

Oh, and it's free. :)

http://www.irfanview.com/

Kent, I've used irfanview for years - it's my "go to" program for viewing my portrait-orientation photos because windows wants to permanently change the properties of portrait photos when i rotate in their viewer. I've never looked into all the other features irfanview offers! thanks for the tip!

Bob wrote:I should point out that there is another effective method to crop and scale a photo to a specific dimension -- the crop tool. Open the photo you want to resize. Select the crop tool. In the options bar, select "No Restrictions" and enter the desired width and height in pixels (e.g. 2200 px and 1467 px). Click and drag over the part of the image you want to keep. After you release the mouse button, you will have a chance to fine tune the crop area. When you commit the crop, the cropped image will be resized to the dimensions specified.

Bob, i'm still working through your suggestions...thanks so much for them! I have some further questions for you but...the lawn needs mowing - at least i"m not in Denver where I'd need to shovel!!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Photoshop Elements