They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Adventures with the PSE8 Catalogue

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Adventures with the PSE8 Catalogue

Postby Chris B » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:12 pm

OK - So I've just upgrade my SSD and re-installed windows (7). In doing so I have tried to keep my current data and drives. This includes the photos that I have and - of course the PSE8 catalogue. This may apply to other versions - but your mileage may vary.

So new install PSE8 installed and the catalogue copied over (catalogue files are stored in "C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs" by default). So far so good. However when moving the data files over I have renamed the users files (to prevent accidentally breaking the current ones) - so all my photos when from \users\public\pictures to \newusers\public\pictures. Elements therefore can't find them. I've tried to use the "reconnect files" option but this seemed to be doing things one by one (there's probably a nice quick shortcut I don't know about). So I had an investigate of the "catalog.pse8db" which stores the catalogue. Loading it into Notepad++ it declared itself to be an SQLLite format database (which is a very common "embedded" format) - A quick trip to sourceforge to download "DB Browser for SQL Lite" (http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqliteb ... p_redirect) and I can open a copy of the database file (Work on a copy - not the original)...

There only seems to be one table associated with the media files called "media_table". This contains the file paths (twice) and the volume ID (in the columns full_filepath, filepath_search_index & volume_id). My volume Id didn't change but I was able to two search and replaces using SQL to redirect the entire catalogue

Code: Select all
UPDATE media_table SET full_filepath = replace( full_filepath, '/users/', '/newusers/' ) WHERE full_filepath LIKE '/users/%';
UPDATE media_table SET filepath_search_index= replace( filepath_search_index, '/users/', '/newusers/' ) WHERE filepath_search_index LIKE '/users/%';

Copying the file over the original catalogue (backup first ;) ) and elements regenerates the thumbnails and you're good to go.

I realise that this is quite technical but perhaps it will be of use to someone.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Re: Adventures with the PSE8 Catalogue

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Great research, Chris! Thanks for sharing it!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements