They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PSE6 Catalog conversion warning

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Re: PSE6 Catalog conversion warning - Status

Postby Bob D » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:53 pm

Just to let everyone know, I spent a couple of hours documenting this issue for Adobe this last weekend. Thanks to Cinde for the link to Snag It. That made it real easy to take screen shots of everything and I put together 2 document outlining what happens in PSE6 and what happens in PSE5, for me at least. (I have to admit that doing this and seeing how well PSE5 handles these offline files, I got mad all over again.)

Anyway, I also, made 3 DVD copies of my DVD offline files and copies of my PSE5 and PSE6 catalog. The address they gave me to send to is in Canada, so I guess I need to make a trip to the post office. Once I send everything I will update you again and let Adobe know it is on the way.

Bob D
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: PSE6 Catalog conversion warning

Postby Bob D » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:27 pm

OK... so I (actually my wife) got the DVDs to the post office today. Since they have to leave the country there are custom forms to complete. Anyway the package has been sent.

So I then go to update my ticket at Adobe support and much to my chagrin the ticket is closed!!! I received no email indicating that they closed it. Also my last post was not in the ticket. I'm assuming Adobe felt without a response for so long they just close the ticket. I can understand that. It is just weird my last post didn't show up and I wrote a lengthy reply on what I was doing for them.

Anyway, I have an option to reopen the ticket and I'm waiting for a response from them.

Bob D
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:12 am

Sorry about the Adobe problem, Bob. That's not good customer service.

Meantime, if filling out the customs forms is too much of a hassle, you can always ship your DVDs via UPS rather than PO. When you do so (at least when I've done so) there's no need to fill out customs forms for things like DVDs in jewel boxes.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob D » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:46 am

I'll try and remember that for the future. For now they are on the way, but I was supposed to update the ticket to let them know it was coming. Hopefully, they will acknowledge the reopening and I can then but in my information.
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob D » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:47 pm

UPDATE: Adobe has received my disks today for Case #172952944. I will continue to try and keep you updated after they have a chance to review.

Bob D
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:52 pm

Thanks for the update Bob.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob D » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:43 pm

This is Adobe's latest response today... I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about a correction for this.

We will definitely ask if any further questions come up. At this point
we are investigating the issue, and it looks like it will take a week or
two at a minimum. Until that is done, we do not know if we will have a
potential fix or workaround for you to try or if we are looking at an
issue that would need an application update to resolve. If an update is
needed, we do not know when or if one would be released for this
specific issue. We will let you know what we find out as soon as we can.

Bob D
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:47 pm

What's the matter Bob, looks like a definite Maybe to me :-k
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob D » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:00 pm

Although this is PSE6 not a PE application, I have never seen a mid year release (except for PE3.02).

My biggest issue if this isn't resloved is that I would need to re think my archiving process. And given the relatively inexpensive hard drives these days, I may re import using PSE5 and then make sure they are catalogued on a hard drive. This is a lot of work though. Of course, until I determine my direction, I haven't been archiving any of my tapes. Fortunetly I was pretty much up to date before PSE6/PE4 came out.

Bob D
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Rockdoc » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:50 pm

It occurs to me (and did a while ago since it was the first thing that I tried) but the process of reconnecting files would be at least one work-around for this issue. However, I can't reconnect to any offline media (why would this be? I don't know), so that option is currently out. I'm with Bob - this issue creates a major archiving scenario change, and since moving files offline while keeping them in the catalog is an advertise and fundamental feature of the organizer (and only a problem in this version), it is simply not acceptable to me that they don't fix it.

I also have not archived anything since upgrading. I am trying to be patient while they work on this one. I hope that my patience is rewarded as a loyal Adobe customer.
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob D » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:34 pm

I totally agree Jennifer. I'm going to give them the few weeks they need, but if they don't determine a fix, then it will rock my confidence in using the Adobe product for this purpose.

Bob d
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JRjr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:17 am

Chuck Engels wrote:I can tell you that Adobe is working on the problem and they do know how serious it is.

After a good many weeks, I'm still working on re-creating my totally messed up catalogue due to the faulty conversion from PrEl 2 to PrEl4, and I haven't even tried dealing with all my offline archived stuff. That appears to not even be a fixable problem with this release.

Chuck, as per your quote above, I wonder, does Adobe's lack of response, and probable future lack mean THEY no longer consider this "serious?"

I should have stayed with PrEl 2. I like PrEl a great deal, when it works, but when Adobe famously only addresses even the most serious issues with a new release requiring another purchase, I think I can safely say this will be my last Adobe upgrade.

Does anyone here still hold out any hope that there will be a fix for this, in this release? I hope so. [-o< I'm not jumping ship any time soon, but Adobe's got to realize that when they continue to ignore their base, enough will be enough. :evil: I'm getting close.

JRjr
JRjr

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:45 am

Just because they acknowledge the issue and consider it serious does not mean there will be a patch soon or ever.
They don't let anyone know what their plans are and if they are going to come out with a patch or not.
About all we can do at this point is wait and see :(

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob D » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:29 pm

Additionally, JR, this is really a PSE issue and not necessarily a PE (PrEl) issue. The cataloging and back up process used in PSE5, in my case, worked flawlessly. The issue is when converting to PSE6 it doesn't seem to have converted the catalog correctly for my offline files.

Bob D
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JRjr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:28 pm

Bob, yes you are correct that this issue of the catalogue problem is PSE and not PrEl... In my mind I use them together so much I forget sometimes that they ARE different. :oops:

Chuck, I'm all too aware that Adobe is closed-mouthed about their plans, but your statement (the one I quote above) that they ARE aware of the seriousness of the problem, and that they ARE working on it, is pretty clear. That's why I'm wondering now where they stand.

Your current response indicates something quite different from you very optimistic original statement. It now seems that although you do know they are aware of it, you don't know if they are working on it. It doesn't give us much hope I'm afraid, coming off their past history.

Thanks both to you and Bob for your responses. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

JRjr
JRjr

PreviousNext

Return to Photoshop Elements