They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Making A Glass Window

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Making A Glass Window

Postby Bouncing Ferret Films » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:07 am

I'm working on a short film for a friend. In the clips they have a man on a train by the window. As the train itself was stationary, they put a greenscreen by the window. I've added every effect to make it look like there is an outside and its speeding by, but it looks like there's nothing inbetween the man and the outside.

The outside is actual filmed B-roll of trees going by and is not a keyframed picture zooming by.

How do i make a "glass window" in Photoshop Elements 11... something I can bring into my project and but inbetween the man and the outside. just a 2d square "glass" effect.

I do not have adobie After Effects. The only adobie Program i have is Photoshop Elements 11.

I've looked online and can't find any pictures that work, and any search comes up with making a glass ball that magnifies the images inside of it.

Thanks for your time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xz9PFlWrzM&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Bouncing Ferret Films
New User
New User

Re: Making A Glass Window

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:18 am

Hi, Ferret. Welcome to Muvipix!

One thing that's not clear though: You say you only have Photoshop Elements -- yet you say you're editing a video? It would help to know which video editing program you're using.

It should be fairly simple to create a white block to serve as your window pane and then lower its opacity to make it nearly transparent.

But it might be an even cooler effect if you actually used video as your window pane. Sort of like a reflection in the glass of the scenery going by. Once again, you can lower its opacity to make it as transparent as you need it to be.

Though, as I've said, how exactly you do this depends on which program you're using to edit your video.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 am

Found this free glass window psd. I have not used this site so download with caution. My WOB (web of trust) gives it a green light.

http://downloadpsd.com/layer-style/glass-effect-in-psd
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bouncing Ferret Films » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:24 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Hi, Ferret. Welcome to Muvipix!

One thing that's not clear though: You say you only have Photoshop Elements -- yet you say you're editing a video? It would help to know which video editing program you're using.

It should be fairly simple to create a white block to serve as your window pane and then lower its opacity to make it nearly transparent.

But it might be an even cooler effect if you actually used video as your window pane. Sort of like a reflection in the glass of the scenery going by. Once again, you can lower its opacity to make it as transparent as you need it to be.

Though, as I've said, how exactly you do this depends on which program you're using to edit your video.

Its Apple Motion, that's the program i'm using, you can see a detailed video if you put my yo ut ube lin k back together.
The outside footage of the tree's going by is already a video, and is layered in accordingly. I just need that "glass" to go in between him and the outside as the real glass disappears when i apply the green screen effect.
Bouncing Ferret Films
New User
New User

Postby Bouncing Ferret Films » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:25 am

momoffduty wrote:Found this free glass window psd. I have not used this site so download with caution. My WOB (web of trust) gives it a green light.

I'm not sure what to do with this... i can't separate the glass from the background
Bouncing Ferret Films
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 pm

This might help
Video Through a Window
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bouncing Ferret Films » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:11 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:This might help
Video Through a Window

It says subscribers only :(
Bouncing Ferret Films
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:45 pm

$19.95 gets you a 2 months subscription to all of the learning materials and tutorials. We have to pay for the site somehow :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:51 pm

That tutorial doesn't address the glass pane problem, Chuck. And, he's already doing the equivalent in Apple Motion. That tutorial won't help him.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:17 pm

Oops, sorry about that :(
Thanks for double checking the tutorial Bob :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Ok, I watched the video Bouncing Ferret but I am still not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish with the glass, sorry.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Bouncing Ferret Films wrote:
momoffduty wrote:Found this free glass window psd. I have not used this site so download with caution. My WOB (web of trust) gives it a green light.

I'm not sure what to do with this... i can't separate the glass from the background

Not sure why, isn't this in layers?
To make in Photoshop Elements:
Make a psd the size of your video with a transparent background. You won't need this large but your foreground video in PrEl will hide the excess.
Next layer is a solid of a light blue or you could go with a light grey. Lower opacity to taste.
Next layer is a transparent and make some streaks for glare. Draw on with the shape tool rectangles of white going in angles. Add a Gaussian blur to these to taste. Lower opacity to taste.
If you want some dirt on the window, brush on specks of dark blue or dark grey. Lower opacity to taste.

In PrEl place the window between your background video and your foreground video. Adjust the opacity.
You may have to take the file back to PSE to refine.

Here is a tut for PSE for making a glass. Disregard the frame, but look at the part about streaks.
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/ht ... dow-glass/

For a reflection you could double your foreground video and flip the duplicate, lower the opacity and add a garbage matte...say just a reflection of your body...and move the position so the reflection of you is on the window. The stacking order in PrEl: Track one background video, track two window, track three reflection foreground video, track four foreground video.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Photoshop Elements