They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Duration Problem for Video Clips in PSE 6

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Duration Problem for Video Clips in PSE 6

Postby sgitlin » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:03 pm

When I built slide shows in PSE 4 that had video clips, PSE 4 automatically set the duration for the clip according to the length of the clip. In PSE 6, it seems to set all durations to whatever the slideshow preference setting is, regardless of the actual video clip duration. Same duration for all still images and video clips.

I thought I would be able to check the properties of the video clip in PSE and then plug the proper duration into the duration for the video clip in the slideshow editor. Unfortunately you cannot change the duration of a video clip. To bypass the problem, I had to delete the clip in the Slideshow editor, and do an Add Media from the Folder/File (not the Organizer) where the movie clip actually resides. Then the slideshow editor picks up the correct duration.

This seems like such a common thing to do, using a video clip in a PSE slideshow, that I'm very surprised that no one else seems to have reported this yet. Could I possibly be doing something that is adversely affecting the video clip duration?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stew
sgitlin
New User
New User

Re: Duration Problem for Video Clips in PSE 6

Postby Barb O » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:13 pm

My guess is that you are not doing anything wrong (especially since you said that you had done it in PSE 4) and that it is a bug in PSE 6. I think that I had once added MJPEG video in a PSE 5 slide show, but that is not my normal practice: I usually add the video using Premiere Elements 3.

Here is a link to a bug report form if you want to report it to Adobe - http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/ind ... e=wishform

I have a different perception in that I don't think that many people add video during the Photoshop Elements slide show creation process. PSE doesn't edit video so people need some other software to edit their video (unless the camera has limited video trimming etc.) and (as of PSE 5 and I think also in v6) the types of video that could be added to a PSE slide show were limited (for example, no .mov as used by some digital still cameras for video clips).
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Duration Problem for Video Clips in PSE 6

Postby sgitlin » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:32 pm

Barb, being that I didn't have PE previously, and did all my slide shows just using PSE, I just blindly went ahead and included the videos in PSE not even thinking about using PE to insert them once I brought the Project over from PSE. I have to start remembering that I can do things in PE now that I previously did in PSE :)

I actually did report what I believe is the PSE bug to Adobe, but no response from them.

Thanks,

Stew
sgitlin
New User
New User

Return to Photoshop Elements