They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Can't Output PSE9 Slideshow to PRE11

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Can't Output PSE9 Slideshow to PRE11

Postby MJK1250 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:45 am

Could not find this topic on any PS or PRE11 forum so am posting it here.

I spent countless hours creating a Slideshow Project in PSE9 and finally got it exactly the way I want it. The slideshow (about fifteen minutes long) includes pans & zooms, music, transitions and text - but no video. I want to make a SD DVD of this slideshow and tried to output it to my installed PRE 11 using the "edit in Premiere Elements" command but I get an error message "The feature you selected requires Adobe Premiere Elements" and then an option to install PRE9 as a 30 day free trial.

I already have PRE11 installed and tried to output as above with PRE11 open and also with PRE11 closed but neither method works.

Please tell me that I'm missing something simple and that I don't have to recreate the entire slideshow in PRE11 just to make a DVD.

Thanks for any suggestions.

MJK
MJK1250

Re: Can't Output PSE9 Slideshow to PRE11

Postby Barb O » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:06 pm

I suspect that the problem is that PSE 9 Organizer slide show creator does not recognize the presence of Premiere Elements 11.

FYI - There is nothing official in this comment
My observation is that Adobe designs the slideshow workflow to work from the PSE versions that are packaged and sold together: since version 7 this means a PSE and PRE which have the same version number. Sometimes, people have been successful with mixed versions but I don't think Adobe has supported sending directly between different version numbers.

1- You could probably be successful writing out to a WMV file from the Slide Show creator of the PSE 9 Organizer and then importing that wmv file to a Premiere Elements 11 project. HOWEVER, in another thread Steve Grisetti warned against using that option because there is some degradation of the image quality in the final output when using the wmv file as an intermediate step.

2- Based on the fact that Premiere Elements 11 is currently supported software, you could ask Adobe if there is any way that PRE 11 can process a slideshow made under the Organizer of Photoshop Elements 9. I am not optimistic, but it seems worth asking.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby MJK1250 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Barb - thanks so much for your quick reply - and on Labor Day to boot.

I fear that you may be correct that there is no compatibility between different versions of PS and PRE and that's just infuriating if it is correct. Why would anyone want to upgrade an Adobe product if it isn't backward compatible with one of their earlier releases?

I too, saw Steve's warning about degradation in converting to WMV so I chose not to give it a try.

I guess my only option is to ask Adobe if there is any way to do it with my current set-up as you recommended. Sadly, I'm not optimistic either. I really, really don't want to start over in PRE11 to recreate something I've spent so much time and effort on already. If I had known from the beginning, I would have simply ordered PRE9 to go along with my PS9. How stupid of Adobe to not at least have some kind of warning or disclosure that their different versions are not forward compatible.

I'll let you know how Adobe responds and in any event I'm grateful for your response.

MJK
MJK1250

Postby MJK1250 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Barb and anyone else with this problem.

I followed Barb's advice and went to an Adobe forum to ask how to do the above and got an answer that actually works. All credit to Steve Grisetti and A.T. Romano who followed through with the following solution. Hope this helps others with the same problem.

Given that all you have is Photoshop Elements 9 Elements Organizer 9 and Premiere Elements 11 Elements Organizer 11.
And in the Elements Organizer 9, you have your slideshow saved as a Slideshow Project thumbnail.
Go to the Elements Organizer 9, File Menu/Manage Catalogs.
In the Catalog Manager dialog that opens when you click on Manage Catalogs, note what it shows for the name of the
current catalog. Close out of there.

Open Premiere Elements new project and click on the Organizer tab at the bottom of the interface in order to open its
Elements Organizer 11.

In the Elements Organizer 11, go to the File Menu/Manage Catalogs.

In the Catalog Manager dialog, click on "Convert".

Look for and find the name of your Elements Organizer 9 catalog (the one that has your slideshow).

When you follow that process to completion, you should have the Elements Organizer 9 catalog represented in Premiere Elements 11's Elements Organizer 11.

Now double clicking the Slideshow Project thumbnail will open the slideshow for further edits in the Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor.

From the Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor, you can output the slideshow to Premiere Elements with the Output option Edit with Premiere Elements Editor. And then you can burn to Folder or burn to DVD.

I just tried it, and it worked.

MJK
MJK1250

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Great to hear you're successful, MJK!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements