They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

When to edit photos, before or after reducing resolution

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Re: When to edit photos, before or after reducing resolution

Postby robbie410 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:07 am

Thanks very much for your explanation. Is there a setting which one to use or is it that the IMac and DVD player are organised to use one or the other.
Just as an aside when I did play the small DVD slide show on a DVD player, the result was still not good.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:27 am

Robbie, at this point, I'm just not sure what more we can do.

You have:
1) Optimized your photo sizes for DVD (1000x750 pixels).
2) Used the proper project settings for a DVD project (DV project preset).
3) Tried several of the programs' slideshow tools.
4) Viewed your slideshow at 100% (NOT full-screen on your computer).
And you're still not satisfied with the results.

About the only other fine tuning you can do is to right-click on each photo and select Field Options/Always Deinterlace. Though, if you're as unhappy with the current results as you are, it's not likely this is going to make a significant difference. I just don't think we can squeeze any more juice out of this thing.

If a high-quality slideshow is your priority, have you considered a dedicated slideshow program like Pro Show Gold?
http://www.photodex.com/proshow/gold

There's a free trial download.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:01 am

Hi Steve, I am not giving up. Yes, I followed your list as a check. First I found that when opening PRe 12, new project, the settings were for NTSC!!!! So thought I had found the answer. Started everything from scratch with PAL DV settings and added two photos, then Pan and Zoom added. On these I only saw a little shimmering when playing back in Pre 12. When burnt to DVD, using PAL settings, the shimmering was there. Then for comparison I added to the project Pre 12 the same two photos, without Pan and Zoom. Burnt again and there was the answer. It seems to be the Pan and Zoom that is causing the shimmering effect.
A pity, but maybe not the end of the world.
Read about your suggestion Pro Show Gold. May try this, but not sure whether you can for example Pan and Zoom and add transitions etc. Do you also burn to DVD with this program or do you need to then still use Pre 12.
Another area to re explore is to pull out an old Laptop with Windows on and make a slide show with Video Studio. This program, including Pan and Zoom, worked for me before I changed to Apple and thus Premier Elements. First 10, then 11 and now 12.
Would appreciate a little more about what you think of the change to Pro Show Gold or, reluctantly Windows to use Videostudio
Regards
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:08 am

Steve, I did try and upload a file, as an example of what was happening, but did not manage it. There must be something that I am not doing right as I cannot believe that the large number of people using Pre for a slideshow are not able to get a good result.
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Again, Robbie, you're talking subjectively. I get very good results with my still photos in a video project, and I'm perfectly happy with the results, as are most video editors who recognize the limitations of photos at video resolution and interlaced and non-interlaced playback mediums. I guess it all depends on what you mean by "good results."

I don't know how or where you tried to upload a sample of your slideshow, but if you are able to post a short example, I'd love to have a look. Have you tried uploading it to the Muvipix Gallery? There's a file size limitation, so you won't be able to post more than a short sample, but your video would go up at full resolution without being reencoded as it would be on YouTube or Vimeo.

You can also put a short sample on Dropbox and share it to my e-mail address, which is my first name at muvipix.com.

Meantime, have you tried the program I recommended above so you can at least see if it better meets your needs?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi Steve, thanks. I would like you to see what I am experiencing. The file size I tried to get into my album, in the gallery, was 16 mb or +- 16000. That is within you 60000 kb limit. It could be limitations on my server where I am at present. I will keep trying and otherwise will try from my home over the week end.
I do accept slight quality loss from a photo, but what I am seing is a shimmering of edges. If I cannot get it uploaded I would need guidance how to do Dropbox.I will google Dropbox as I guess it accepts files for onward delivery.
Once I get home I will also try the program you suggested.
Please have patience with me.
You will be surprised with what you will see, for which there must be an answer. Also why only when Pan and Zoom are used.
Regards
Robbie

robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Steve would you be able to open a .cdr file, DVD copy, if I can get it into Gallery or dropbox?
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi, this is the message that I get when trying to uploadInternal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Web Server at muvipix.com

Had this once before but cannot remember how I solved getting it uploaded.
Have looked at Dropbox but I am not registered. Do you need to be a member to use Dropbox.
Also thinking ahead, the cdr is a copy of the DVD we are discussing. It is PAL, would you be able to burn and read the product in PAL?
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:17 pm

what I am seeing is a shimmering of edges

That sounds like flicker. When video is interlaced, the frame is divided into two fields -- one containing the odd scan lines and the other the even scan lines. Due to the interlacing, it's possible for an edge or fine horizontal detail on the order of size of a scan line to appear in one field but not the other. When played back, that detail will flash off and on as the fields alternate and will be perceived as flicker or shimmering.

Premiere Elements has an Anti-Flicker feature that you might try. It can be found in two places -- in field options which is not adjustable, and in motion properties which is adjustable. Because anti-flicker works by slightly blurring the image, I'd recommend you use the one in motion properties and set it to the smallest value that will reduce the flicker to an acceptable level.
Bob

Postby robbie410 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:50 pm

OK Bob, will try tomorrow and will keep my tigers crossed in the meantime.
Bob, you once explained to me how to upload data file, or video, when it produced error message. I managed to upload after that but have another problem now. Could you please advise actions I need to take to get the file uploaded. Size is 17mb
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:12 pm

"Steve would you be able to open a .cdr file, DVD copy, if I can get it into Gallery or dropbox?"

If you're saving your slideshow as a CDR, that could explain your quality issue. For viewing on a computer, you should be saving it as Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD using the YouTube SD (or HD) preset.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:18 pm

Good day, thanks for all your help, I think we are getting somewhere. First Steve, I thought that taking a copy image, cdr file, it would be a way for you to burn the DVD where you are, and then be able to view it. I am not using the cdr myself unless I wanted to burn another DVD, e.g. copy.
Bob, I have tried adjusting Flicker in Motion. First I tried Motion under tools but found that it kept asking me to select single video clip, which did not seem to work for me, in other words I do not know how to select single video clip. Then I went to Applied Effects. Here I went to Motion and moved the slider from 0 to around 60. This worked and the flicker was reduced on both saved project, MOV, and on burnt DVD.
This action was only necessary on clips that had Pan and Zoom applied. Now I will try to fine tune.
At the same time when I get home I will try Pro Show Gold.
Thanks
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:22 am

Is Proshow Gold compatible with Apple Imac?
Need to know this before downloading free trial
Robbie

robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:32 am

robbie410 wrote:Is Proshow Gold compatible with Apple Imac?

It appears not:
http://kb.photodex.com/205/what-are-the ... show-gold/
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:36 am

So I guess the best alternative is the iLife Suite.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Photoshop Elements