They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

When to edit photos, before or after reducing resolution

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

When to edit photos, before or after reducing resolution

Postby robbie410 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Have just started to use Photoshop Elements 11. Am reading Muvipix Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 11. Noting that Photoshop and Premiere Elements 11 both work best when photos have resolution reduced, can anyone guide me as to whether its is best to edit such photos before or after reducing resolutions.
Am using photos from three sources, Panasonic Lumis Camera, Iphone, and converted slide images now on DVD.
Want to use corrected photos both in Slideshows or videos using Premiere Elements 11.
Any help would be appreciated
robbie410
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: When to edit photos, before or after reducing resolution

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi, Robbie. Thanks for supporting our books!

There really is no reason to reduce the resolutions of your photos unless you're going to use them in a Premiere Elements project. Photoshop Elements is perfectly capable of working with even very high resolution photos with ease.

But if you do need to reduce the resolution of your photos for any reason, you definitely should do most of your color correction and clean-up on the higher resolution photo.

And, when if and when it does come time to reduce the resolution of your photos, be sure to use the Image Resize tool as we describe on page 87: Don't just change the resolution -- set the tool to Resample using the Bicubic Sharper. You'll get much sharper results!

Hey, and welcome to Muvipix! We're glad to have you aboard!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply. Will look at the settings you mentioned about reducing the reolution for when I create a slideshow or video using Premiere Elements 11. I would have looked at the photo information and just reduced it to the 1000x750 resolution recommended. Will look to see how you recommend I should do it so as not to loose sharpness.
By the way I had just already bought your book on Premiere Elements 11 and was glad to see the combined book as I mentioned.
Robbie410
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Welcome to Muvipix!

What Steve said.

Resolution is used in more than one sense and that can be confusing. The common usage refers to the number of pixels in the image. As taken, a high resolution photo will have more pixels in it than a low resolution photo and show more detail as a result. Resolution can also refer to the spacing of the pixels or dots when the image is printed. The resolution value in the Photoshop Elements Image Size dialog is that second meaning and only significant when you print your photo. The resolution value is not used at all for video or images posted on the Internet. For those, it's the pixel dimensions of the photo that matter.

As far as workflow goes, I'd recommend saving the retouched image separately before resizing. I would not overwrite the original. Unless you only have one photo to include in your video project, I'd use the batch processing feature of Photoshop Elements to resize the photos to a size appropriate for my project and place them in a separate directory in your project folder. That way, after the project is finished, you can easily delete or archive the resized photos as desired.
Bob

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:19 pm

Only problem I can see using the batch feature is that I have not found a way to set the re-size using the Bicubic Sharper method. I don't know what PE uses for batch resizing smaller. Probably the default which is Bicubic.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:42 am

Good morning. Advice please. Have started to reduce the size of some photos, jpg, to import into Premiere Elements 11, to use in a slide show. (Previous imports of these photos, large size 6,297,406 bytes, Dimension 3000x4000 ex Panasonic camera had a lot of degradation)
Followed guidance on pages 240/242. Photoshop Elements 11>File Menu>Process multiple files. All settings source and save to OK. No file naming. Resize image 1000 dpi 150, clicked constrain properties. JPEG Max Quality. NO OPTION TO USE BICUBIC
The results showed on resized files a extended width to features on resulted file - e.g. very large waist on one photo.
The proceeded to page 86. This talks about tool box with a different drop down box example, where you can see areas to use Bicubic sharper.
How do I get to this toolbox and can I use this for Process multiple settings, or do I have to change all 82 photos individually?
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:11 am

As TreeTops notes, the bicubic sharpener is not available for batch resizing.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:54 am

Steve, if I may call you that, your Quote "set the tool to Resample using the Bicubic Sharper. You'll get much sharper results!" So true. (Even my waist has gone back to normal size)
Will now proceed to slideshow and hopefully will not be back too soon for further guidance.
Thanks
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:37 am

robbie410 wrote:.......Even my waist has gone back to normal size......

Ahhh! The wonders of that magical Photoshop diet. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby robbie410 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:46 am

Hello again. Thought I had just mastered everything from import of JPG photos from camera, via computer. Using Photoshop E 11 to resize, using Bicubic Sharper and then also to try Bicubic (best for smooth gradients) for comparison with Scale Styles ticked; Constrain Proportions ticked; and Resample Image ticked.
Imported resized photos into Premiere E 11 and played around inserting transitions on very small number of photos. Added title, then all rendered and ready for save and onto Share. Option to Burn to DVD and alas the result was a lot of degradation from how the slideshow showed when building timeline and playing. I feel very anxious now because I do not know what action to take. Is it the burner on my Imac; is it the rendered completed slideshow; is it the monitor playing Imac DVD player. Have tried it on the DVD player, using TV, but also not good. I must be doing something wrong as previously, using Vaio, Windows 7 and Videstudio I was able to get what I consider a better end product.
I have re read many pages on the PS 11 and PE11 book, which is great, but do not seem to be able to sort this out. Resizing was to 1000x750, to allow Pan and Zoom, which I am not using at the present but would on other slideshow, should I go lower on rezing or where should I be looking.
Have not taken out subscription yet to view the "Creating Slideshows with Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements" page 256 as I was wanting to get as much out of the books beforehand.
Where should I try to get a better end result please
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 am

The quality of your finished DVD can't possibly have anything to do with your disc burner, Robbie. It's digital video -- so it's all just 1s and 0s.

Your are getting as good a quality of image as is possible with a 720x480 pixel image. Now, granted, that's not terribly high resolution -- but that's the nature of the DVD video.

Try this. Play your DVD on your computer at 100% size (NOT full screen) and do a screen capture. Then take one of your photos sized to 640x480. Compare them side by side. The results should be virtually identical. (If not, can you post the side-by-side comparison to this forum so we can see.)

Video -- especially standard definition video (as on DVDs) -- us just never going to look as clean and detailed as the original photos. That's just not possible.

If you're looking for a program that's designed specifically to create high-quality slideshows that can be viewed on your computer (which is a much higher resolution than video), you may want to look at ProShow Gold. It's a dedicated slideshow creator with a lot of very nice features.

But, unfortunately, if you're going to work in DVD or video format, you're kind of limited to the resolution of the medium itself.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Here's a side-by-side comparison I did. On the left is the original photo I used in a video. So that I'm comparing apples to apples, I've resized it to 640x480 so that it's the same resolution of the DVD's video.

As you can see, the DVD video has some combing and softening to it. This is because DVDs are interlaced video files and computers show non-interlaced media. But, aside from that, the two photos are virtually identical in quality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Steve, thank you for taking such a trouble to try and help me. I see exactly what you mean and this sample show the slight variation. UK time is a little ahead of yourselves, although we also suffer from cold and dumps of snow at present. Tomorrow, with clear head I will do what you suggest. I might not have made myself clear that I am actually rezing to 1000x750. No problem I will just take the original photo and resize to the dimensions that you mentioned, 640x480 and also take the same photo from the slide show and compare. You will hear in due course how things go. I was so pleased with myself that I had managed to resize down to 1000x750 and what I saw on the screen was good.
Thanks
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 am

Hi Steve, further to previous post about doing a comparison of photo reduced and that on a DVD. I have resized sample photo, 640x480, to compare with photo in DVD. Saved resized photo. Have played DVD and paused on selected photo and taken screen shot, but this comes out as a Chequerboard, white grey grid, no picture. I can manage to pause DVD and open the resized picture, place alongside to compare, but how did you get a screen shot as per your example?
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:19 am

I used VLC Player to play the disc. And then I used the Print Screen button on my keyboard to do the screen cap on my PC.

I highly recommend VLC Player as an alternative to Windows Media Player -- and even Mac's DVD player. It does a much better job of interpolating the interlacing for computer.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Photoshop Elements