They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Convert power pt prsentation to photos

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Convert power pt prsentation to photos

Postby decolb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Is there a way to convert a power point presentation of photos back to individual images, jpeg or psd, which could be included in the PSE catalog?
Dell XPS 8500, i7-3770, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, Samsung 8300 SSD 256GB, 2TB 7200 SATA HDD, AMD Radeon HD 7570, Win7 HP
decolb

Re: Convert power pt prsentation to photos

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:52 pm

With the presentation open, go to File > Save As. Select a location to save to, give it a name, and In the "Save as type" drop-down select JPEG. Click on Save. You'll get a pop-up asking if you want to export every slide in the presentation or only the current slide.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:52 pm

PowerPoint has tools for outputting its slides as TIFs or JPGs. I think it's under the File menu.

But beware -- It generally produces pretty low quality slides. Print-outs look pretty good. But, for some reason, the JPGs and TIFs you output from a PowerPoint presentation come out rather blurry. So if you're planning to use them to create a video slideshow using PHotoshop Elements or Premiere Elements, you may not like the results. Unless Microsoft has improved it in the last generation or so of the program.

In fact, you may get better results just showing each presentation slide full-screen and doing a screen capture of each manually.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Steve's method captures the entire slide and not just the photo.

If you have PowerPoint installed on the computer, one way is to Choose File -> Save As and select .html from the File Format drop down. That will cause PowerPoint to convert the presentation pages to html files and the photos will be extracted and saved in the folder where you save the html. The drawback is that embedded photos that are larger than the page size will be resized and lose quality.

Another way to do it that maintains the quality is to use Open Office. It's free if you don't have it. The Open Office equivalent to PowerPoint is called Impress. Open the PPT file in OpenOffice Impress. Don't do anything to the presentation. Instead, Save As an ODF Presentation (ODP file). ODP is the native format for Impress files. Rename the file from xxxx.ODP to xxxx.ZIP. You can now open it like a regular zip file. The photos are located in a folder named "Pictures". Locate that folder and extract them. The photos will be the same size as the ones originally imported into the PowerPoint project. The names will be generated names, you may want to rename them to something meaningful.
Bob

Postby decolb » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll give them a try and see what works.

Dave
Dell XPS 8500, i7-3770, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, Samsung 8300 SSD 256GB, 2TB 7200 SATA HDD, AMD Radeon HD 7570, Win7 HP
decolb

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Hey Bob, Your method worked for me also. Except my version of Open Office power point equivalent was called 'Presentation' instead of 'Impress'
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements