They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

transfer music from itunes to photoshop elements 4

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

transfer music from itunes to photoshop elements 4

Postby desmo11225 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:42 am

Hello All at Muvipix
I have been a long time away, I have a problem.
A friend has asked me to make a Slide Show of her wedding, the job's done but I want to use some songs which are on my iTunes catalogue.
Would you show me how to pass them over to Photoshop Elements 4 please, I have spent quite a number of hours, and asked for help but so far I've had no success, I know I've transfered them over before but it's quite a long time ago.
Thanking you All in advance
desmo11225
desmo11225

Re: transfer music from itunes to photoshop elements 4

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:39 am

Welcome back, Desmo!

First, you can't create a slideshow in Photoshop Elements. However, there is a nice slide show creator in the Elements Organizer which can do the job. Or most of it anyway. It depends on how you plan to deliver the slideshow to the clients: as a computer file, on DVD or video, online, etc. What final product are you trying to create?

As for iTunes, Apple has loosened the restrictions a bit on their music in the past couple of years, but a lot of iTunes music has copy protection built into it that will throw up an error code when you try to use the song in a video project. The workaround is to burn the music to a CD and then rip it back to your computer as an MP3 or, better, a WAV file.

Other music sources, like Amazon, do not have such strong copy protection built into their music, and you can use it as is in your video and slideshows.

That said, why don't we start at the beginning: You say "I have spent quite a number of hours, and asked for help but so far I've had no success." What specifically have you been doing so far? I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby desmo11225 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:17 am

Hello Steve
Thank you for yor very prompt reply
I want to put the Slide Show on to a D.V.D so that my friend can view it on T.V
I have converted the song to M.P 3 but a box keeps telling me Photoshop Elements 4 ca'nt use it.
I have lots of other songs I can use that are in My Documents and My Recent Documents but somehow I am not able to transfer the specific songs I want.
Going to Add Media -Organiser-Folders and Brouse I still ca'nt pass them over, it should be easy I know, I have lots of SlideShows made with Elements 4.
I need reminding what I did before
Sorry to be such a pain but please help
desmo11225
desmo11225

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16 am

As I've said, Desmo. You can NOT create a slideshow in Photoshop Elements -- so you will not be able to load an MP3 into it. You must do this in the Slide Show Creator in the Elements Organizer.

But since your ultimate plan is to put this slideshow in a DVD, there are a couple of other things I'd recommend:
1) Make sure your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size.
2) Convert your MP3 to a WAV file using the free download Audacity.
3) Add the WAV file to a Premiere Elements project. (Since you're creating a DVD, you'll need to work in Premiere Elements.)
4) Import your photos into Premiere Elements and place them on your timeline so that they change in rhythm with the music.

Alternatively, you can go to the Organizer's Create tab and create your slideshow in the Slide Show Creator. You can also add your music there, but it might be a bit more challenging to make your slides change in rhythm to the music. You can then choose the output option to Send to Premiere Elements, where you can finalize the slideshow and create your DVD.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:14 am

Steve,
FYI - I noticed that this thread is asking about Version 4 of Photoshop Elements. As I recollect back in version 4,the Slide Show Editor was part of the Photoshop Elements software.

desmo,
However, even back in the PSE 4 Slide Show Editor, it was NOT possible to use music with DRM (digital rights management). So I would suspect that your iTunes purchased songs may have DRM. As I recollect the suggested method of using a CD disc as an intermediate step is an effective workaround for using music in PSE 4 slide shows.
As Steve said-
a lot of iTunes music has copy protection built into it that will throw up an error code when you try to use the song in a video project. The workaround is to burn the music to a CD and then rip it back to your computer as an MP3 or, better, a WAV file.

desmo,
1 - PSE 4 can't do the output of the video DVD format to a DVD disc. So do you remember for those previous slideshows, how you took the slide show "flow" created in PSE 4 and created the format for burning to the DVD disc for TV playback ? hint: it moight have been an intermediate step of outputing a .wmv file from the PSE 4 slide show editor and then using other software (which software?) to create the video DVD disc format and do the burn to DVD?

2 - I am curious - Which Windows operating system is running on this computer?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:05 am

Another thought is that maybe this music file contains Album Art -

if yes then I think you will need to remove that Album Art in order to use this music in the PSE Slide Show Editor.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby desmo11225 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:59 am

Thank you Steve, Thank you Barbo, for your replies, Oh Dear, I'm afraid I've caused confusion here.
1 Yes I use Photoshop Elements 4 Organiser to make my Slideshows very successful
2All my music on iTunes is from bought C.D.s also Vinyl records converted with Audacity ,no itunes downloads
3 I have created a W.A.V. version but i still ca'nt put it on to my Slideshow
4 Barbo I use Nero to make the D.V.Ds
5 I use The Windows XP system
I have been very successful thank's to you all for your help but it was a few years ago and I've just forgotten this last bit.
I realise that making Slidshows, using videos and a lot more other additions and more complicated Slideshows is used these days, I failed to get on with Premeir Elements 2 and was happy to sort of leave it at that, I'm 87 yrs old next month so please bare with me.
Thank you Very Much once again, if I ca'nt add more music from iTunes I'll use what I've got
All the Best
desmo11225
desmo11225

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:15 am

So please describe the exact steps you're using the try to load the music into your slideshow. (There are a number of ways to do this.)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby desmo11225 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:13 am

Thank You Steve, Very Much for Your Patience, I have found a way.
1 Select song in iTunes, Create a W.A.V Version
2 Show in Windows Explorer
3 Send to My Documents
4 Select and Open
There I've got it on my SlideShow.
Thank You Barb O too for helping, your all so wonderful, its the same as when your car breaks down you feel so down in the dumps and then so elated when it's fixed.
I've written the instructions down now so I wont forget again.
Have a Good Christmas
desmo11225
desmo11225

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:38 am

I'm still not seeing how you're adding the WAV file to your slideshow, desmo.

When you're in the Organizer Slide Show Creator, there's a button to click for adding music. You should click that and browse to the file, as we show you in our book.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby desmo11225 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:09 am

Hello Steve
Having made one slideshow and transfering it to a D.V.D I try to make another slide show and carrying out the instructions as in the book I dont get my music into my slide show. What am I doing wrong now.??????????
1 Slideshow editor click Add Media Choose one of the following.
2 Audio from organiser.
3 Audio from Folder

I have tried both but music titles do not transfer to the bar as in photograph on page 164 Chapter 17.
This is the first time I've had this particular problem, it's as if Photoshop Elements 4 has altered itself
Would you please help me again, I've tried hard to work it out for myself but so far failed again
Thank you in advance
desmo11225
desmo11225

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm sorry, desmo. I have no idea why this isn't working for you. If you're in the Organizer Slide Show creator, clicking the option to Add Music should open a browse screen to your music file (assuming your music is a WAV file).

If it's not working, what happens if you port the silent slideshow to your Premiere Elements project and add the music on an audio track below it, as I suggested above?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:10 pm

desmo11225 wrote:Hello Steve
Having made one slideshow and transfering it to a D.V.D I try to make another slide show and carrying out the instructions as in the book I dont get my music into my slide show. What am I doing wrong now.??????????
1 Slideshow editor click Add Media Choose one of the following.
2 Audio from organiser.
3 Audio from Folder

I have tried both but music titles do not transfer to the bar as in photograph on page 164 Chapter 17.
This is the first time I've had this particular problem, it's as if Photoshop Elements 4 has altered itself
Would you please help me again, I've tried hard to work it out for myself but so far failed again
Thank you in advance
desmo11225

desmo,
1 -- What happens after the number 3 (choose "audio from folder") ?
-- For example do you see a screen showing you a folder structure on which you can navigate to the specific Windows folder where the audio file that you wish to use resides?

2 - Did you do these steps for the music you are attempting to use in the new slideshow ?
1 Select song in iTunes, Create a W.A.V Version
2 Show in Windows Explorer
3 Send to My Documents

FYI - in order to use the number 2 (choose "audio from organiser") you must have previously imported the desired audio file to the PSE Organizer. FYI - being in iTunes is not the same as being in the PSE organiser. My recommendation is that this would probably not be the simplest workflow for you. Therefore I suggest that we work with the "audio from folder" choice first.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby desmo11225 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 am

Hello Steve, Hello BarbO
I'm sorry to have been a pain but I have now sorted my SlideShow out and it's quite good.
First for some reason or other, it's never happened before, I had added one song to my SlideShow but other songs I was adding were being loaded to the end of the SlideShow, so of course I could'nt see them they were there, they were off screen, after deleteing them all I was able to continue.
So ,I can now select any song I wish from iTunes and use it in my SlideShows and also I found a silly fault that I had'nt exprienced before.
Thank you both for being so patient and helpful.
A Very Merry Christmas to All
desmo11225
desmo11225

Return to Photoshop Elements