They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Movie thumbnails in Organizer don't display properly

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Movie thumbnails in Organizer don't display properly

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:52 pm

Hello! I have a PSE10 Catalog just for videos ("Video Catalog"). Whenever I complete a video project I add the PRE10 output file to the PSE10 Video Catalog. I backup the entire Video Catalog to an external hard drive every so often.

Problem: after a movie is added to the Catalog, a small right-pointing arrow appears next to the thumbnail for the movie. When I click that right-pointing arrow, the thumbnail expands to show multiple thumbnails, each with a different portion of that video. It is as if PSE10 Organizer has split the movie into individual clips, but the original movie is still intact in its destination folder.

When I double-click the "main thumbnail" to play the entire movie, only a few seconds of the movie is played.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there an easy fix?

Is anyone aware of a program I can use to catalog my photos and videos that will actually work correctly without any fuss? Preferably one that will import all of my existing PSE tags?

Thanks!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Movie thumbnails in Organizer don't display properly

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:01 am

What format is your original video and what format are you outputting?

As I understand it, if you go from DV, for instance, to DV, the video data is transferred in its native format, including its original timecode markers. In other words, although the output video is a single video clip, its data shows it as several short clips (sort of like pauses in your camcorder's timecode can tell a capture program to automatically break the camcorder's video into scenes).

Could that be what you're seeing?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Ron and Steve,

It does seem that the Elements Organizer might be doing some type of Scene Detection on those videos.

Steve, in addition to the time code detection of DV-AVI, there are some cases where the Organizer (or Premiere Elements) would do Scene Detection based on content of the video. I don't know for sure if that applies here. However, based on Ron's description of how the thumbnails in the Organizer look, it seems to be a possibility.

Ron,
-- I am also interested to know the type of the original video and what format you output (as Steve requested).
-- Also I am wondering if you have modified any of the Elements Organizer preferences - (I think that some preferences for auto analysis might be set on by default but I am not sure right now.) Therefore I started by asking your current settings.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Here are some source file -> output file combinations that produced the "right-pointing" arrow:
- Digital 8 DV -> .avi
- Canon HV30 HDV -> .mpg
- Canon HV30 HDV -> .m2t

Here are source file -> output file combinations that appear correctly in Organizer:
- Digital 8 DV -> .avi
- Canon HV30 HDV -> .m2t

Barb, what Organizer "Preferences" do you need? All of the "Media Analysis" options are checked...should I uncheck something?

Thanks!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Hi Ron,

I am just make a quick post now to say that I will be looking at your question about the Preferences.

Barb
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:02 pm

Ron,

1 -- Here is a reference for you to read to explain what Scene Groups are any why you are seeing the Scene Group thumbnails.

In the Help PDF document for the Elements 10 Organizer, there is a topic in Chapter 7 of
"About Video Scene Groups and Scene Groups"

FYI - you can download that PDF Help file from
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/elementsorg ... 0_help.pdf

2 -- I do suspect that you may want to set off some or all of the auto analysis choices in the Organizer Preferences. However, for now I suggest that you read the above topic while I do some more checking on the specific parameters in Preferences.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:59 pm

Wow, thanks Barb! That was it. Apparently PSE10 Organizer has analyzed my completed videos and created a thumbnail whenever there was a detectable change of scene within the video.

However, the document you provided gave me the answer...press ALT and double-click any of the "individual clips" to play the master file.

If you have any guidance on what to do with the Auto Analyzer feature I'd love to hear it. In the meantime, at least I know that the master file is intact and accessible.

Thanks a bunch!

- Ron
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements