They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Using the Organizer and Editor Windows Together for Editing

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Using the Organizer and Editor Windows Together for Editing

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:57 am

The problem with using the Duplicate Image technique to view both the original and the version that one is editing is that it is difficult to see both at once in the Editor.

By opening the Editor to cover only half the Organizer in the background, I am able to see both images in a larger view (I've double-clicked the image in the Organizer to enlarge it before opening it in the Editor).

Org + Editor for muvipix.JPG

:hat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Using the Organizer and Editor Windows Together for Edit

Postby Gerlinde » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:10 am

George, you can do the same right inside Organizer. Select the pictures that you want to compare. On the top right-hand side of the screen, click on display > compare side by side. Or even easier push F12 key.
:-D
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:45 pm

gpecht wrote:George, you can do the same right inside Organizer. Select the pictures that you want to compare. On the top right-hand side of the screen, click on display > compare side by side. Or even easier push F12 key.
:-D

Yes, I use that feature regularly for comparing images. It's one of the many reasons I am so enamored of the Organizer.

But I'm referring here to a siituation in which one is actively editing a zoomed image but wishes to visualize how those changes look in a non-zoomed version. In one of the PET tuts, the method of duplicating the image and having both a zoomed and a normal size version open in the Editor window was demonstrated. But I found that cascading the two windows in the Editor workspace required that I keep the non-zoomed version too small.

For my illustration, I should have zoomed in on the image in the Editor to better clarify what this method accomplishes.

An even better method would be to have two monitors, one for the Organizer and one for the Editor, which is what I did when I was still using my XP machine with two 24-inch monitors. When using a single monitor, part of the image in the Organizer is obscured with this method.

P.S. I don't have facial recognition activted with PSE7, nevertheless, my Organizer is showing me "non-match" images. Do you know how I turn this completely off?

Org and Editor for muvpix 02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:42 pm

George,

Have you tried opening a new window for the image? Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop Elements have the ability to open a new window for the image and you can set the size and scale of each independently. But, because they are simply windows on the same image, any change to make to one shows up in the other. I often use this feature when retouching and I want to work highly zoomed in on the subject, but I want to see how it looks in a 100% scaled image too.

In photoshop CS5, go to the Window>Arrange menu and select the option for a New Window for the [image name]. I usually opt to float all the images to allow them to be sized and positioned where I want them. If you have dual monitors, it's trivial to drag one to the other monitor.

In photoshop elements, go to View > New Window For [image name]. I haven't used Photoshop Elements for a while so I'm no longer sure whether you can float the windows like you can in Photoshop.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Bob wrote:George,

Have you tried opening a new window for the image?

Yes, Bob, that's what I meant by using the Duplicate Image method.

However, it just occurred to me that, if I hide the layers and other palettes on the right, there is in fact enough space in the Editor, on the 32-inch monitor that I am currently using, to work on a 100%-zoomed image while leaving the other unzoomed--and see the entirety of both of them.

"Fabulous, just fabulous!"--Billy Crystal

:TU:

Bob New Image.JPG
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements