They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video's sound not playing in slideshow

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Video's sound not playing in slideshow

Postby Lady B » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Creating a slideshow using PSE 10. Have numerous photos along with an audio track - all works fine. At the end, once audio track is finished, I want to add in a video clip that has sound. Video will play fine, but no audio.

The audio plays through Organizer, it's just once it's in a slideshow the audio seems to have disappeared.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks
Lady B
New User
New User

Re: Video's sound not playing in slideshow

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:33 pm

I don't use PSE for slideshows, but someone will be along soon to answer your question. Just wanted to say Welcome to Muvipix Lady B! :wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Barb O » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi Lady B

Welcome to muvipix.

Unfortunately the Photoshop Elements slide show processes have never done very well with video files.

Please answer the following questions so we can suggest alternatives. I am guessing that investigating other software (that you may already have or that is free) will be the best alternative.

(if you don't know some answers, just provide as much as you can)

1-- Do you also have Premiere Elements 10 ?

2-- What is the format of that video file you attempted to add ? And specifically what type of audio does it have ?

3-- What camera (make and model) was the source of that video file ? What were the type of video settings on the camera when that video was recorded.

4-- My guess is that you are running on a PC. Which version of Windows ? Or if you have a Mac, tell me the OS.

5-- What do you plan to do with your final slideshow (including that video)? For example, will you play it on your computer or will you burn a video DVD to play on TV?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Lady B » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:13 pm

Barb O wrote:1-- Do you also have Premiere Elements 10 ?

2-- What is the format of that video file you attempted to add ? And specifically what type of audio does it have ?

3-- What camera (make and model) was the source of that video file ? What were the type of video settings on the camera when that video was recorded.

4-- My guess is that you are running on a PC. Which version of Windows ? Or if you have a Mac, tell me the OS.

5-- What do you plan to do with your final slideshow (including that video)? For example, will you play it on your computer or will you burn a video DVD to play on TV?

1. Yes, have Premiere Elements 10 but only just got it so very little knowledge of it to date.
2. It's a .avi file. The video is of a hovercraft powering up and 'lifting' off, and the audio is of the noise of the engines etc.
3. The camera is a small point and shoot. As far as settings go, I have no idea.
4. A PC, Windows XP Professional.
5. It will primarily be burned to a DVD but will also be played on PC. The DVD is more important though.

Thanks for the welcome folks :TU:

Addendum: Tried using Premiere Elements to put the video on the end of the slide show. Video will play with sound. However Premiere Elements "un-rotates" some of the photos.
Lady B
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:32 am

thanks for that information.

Glad that you have Premiere Elements. I am thinking about how we can help you.

Here is an overview of my current thoughts (these are not intended to be sufficient detail to tell you HOW : they are just an overview of a tentative plan:
-- remove that video from the slide show (temporarily)
-- send the slideshow (photos and music) that you have created in the Organizer Slide Show Editor to Premiere Elements
-- within Premiere Elements, add that video after the "slides"
-- use Premiere Elements to create the DVD

Questions --
-- For the camera that took the video
Because a .avi file can have many different video formats within, it will help me if you can tell me the make and model of that camera. If you don't know the camera info, then there will be alternative methods to gather more info.

-- The photo files which you have used in the slide show - what is their megapixel resolution ? Also, if you look at a "representative" photo, what are its pixel dimensions ? (you can see the "x" by "y" dimensions in the PSE Organizer properties for a photo thumbnail - or _ using Windows Explorer - Details view, it is the Dimension field.

-- Suggest that you also post some hardware details for your PC -- like processor, amount of RAM, disk drive(s) capacity and percentage currently full. Premiere Elements is generally more resource intensive so we want to understand your PC capabilities.

-- Do you have a timeframe for completing this project ? (hopefully the time is flexible because Premiere Elements is new to you)
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:40 am

Hi again

You are ahead of me - good that the sound of the video will play in Premiere Elements

Exactly which command did you use to send the slide show to Premiere Elements ?
don't have a system here to check specific syntax, but my intent is to know if you
-- did the Edit in Premiere Elements choice OR
-- if you did an Output to write a DVD command which then started Premiere Elements and sent your slide show to the PRE timeline
??

The good news is that badly rotated photos can be fixed -- but they are a horrible nuisance ::
-- how many incorrectly rotated photos do you see in this slide show ?
-- when you first saw the thumbnails for these photos in the Organizer, did they display correctly or were they sideways and you needed to rotate them?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Lady B » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:13 am

Barb O wrote:-- remove that video from the slide show (temporarily) - Done
-- send the slideshow (photos and music) that you have created in the Organizer Slide Show Editor to Premiere Elements - Done
-- within Premiere Elements, add that video after the "slides" - Done
-- use Premiere Elements to create the DVD

Questions --
-- For the camera that took the video
Because a .avi file can have many different video formats within, it will help me if you can tell me the make and model of that camera. If you don't know the camera info, then there will be alternative methods to gather more info. Medion AG MD 86497 (I think)

-- The photo files which you have used in the slide show - what is their megapixel resolution ? Also, if you look at a "representative" photo, what are its pixel dimensions ? (you can see the "x" by "y" dimensions in the PSE Organizer properties for a photo thumbnail - or _ using Windows Explorer - Details view, it is the Dimension field. - Photos were taken with different cameras. A Nikon D50 (8 megapixel) and the aforementioned Medion (14 megapixel). The Nikon photos are: 2256 x 1496 while the Medion photos are: 4320 x 3240.

-- Suggest that you also post some hardware details for your PC -- like processor, amount of RAM, disk drive(s) capacity and percentage currently full. Premiere Elements is generally more resource intensive so we want to understand your PC capabilities. PC has a Core 2 Duo E6850, 3 GHz processor, 2.00 GB RAM, a NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 graphics card and a 450 GB hard drive of which more than half is free.

-- Do you have a timeframe for completing this project ? (hopefully the time is flexible because Premiere Elements is new to you) Tomorrow night would have been good :CS: (By the 15th Jan)

You are ahead of me - good that the sound of the video will play in Premiere Elements

Exactly which command did you use to send the slide show to Premiere Elements ? I did a drag of the whole slideshow from Organizer and Drop into a new project in Premiere Elements
don't have a system here to check specific syntax, but my intent is to know if you
-- did the Edit in Premiere Elements choice - this one
OR
-- if you did an Output to write a DVD command which then started Premiere Elements and sent your slide show to the PRE timeline
??

The good news is that badly rotated photos can be fixed -- but they are a horrible nuisance ::
-- how many incorrectly rotated photos do you see in this slide show ? I didn't play it all the way through. :oops: I'd guesstimate maybe 6.
-- when you first saw the thumbnails for these photos in the Organizer, did they display correctly or were they sideways and you needed to rotate them? - They're photos from September so can't be absolutely sure but I think the Nikon ones were already rotated and I had to manually do the Medion ones - which are the ones that Premiere has "un-rotated". ..
Lady B
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:57 am

If you are seeing the slideshow portion as a single "clip" on the Premiere Elements Timeline,

-- then right click on that Clip and take the choice in the Right Click Menu to Break Apart the slideshow
-- after that command completes, then you should be able to identify the individual photos

-- for each photo which is incorrectly rotated, right click on its image on the PE Timeline and choose Edit in Photoshop Elements
-- once you are in the PSE Editor, do the rotate there, save and you should be taken back to Premiere Elements automatically
-- I think that you will need to do this process individually for each incorrectly rotated photo, so hopefully it is a small number

WARNING
PC has a Core 2 Duo E6850, 3 GHz processor, 2.00 GB RAM, a NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 graphics card and a 450 GB hard drive of which more than half is free.
Based on your computer configuration, especially the 2 GB RAM, I don't know if Premiere Elements will be able to complete the encoding to video of the high resolution photos and then the DVD creation.

I recommend that you close any other active programs that you do not need. This includes closing the Organizer (first save your slideshow project that is in the Organizer Slide Show Editor) and the Photoshop Elements Editor workspaces if they are still open. Additionally, you might consider even rebooting before you start the process for the DVD. (before shuting down, SAVE your PE project. then after restarting Start PE and open that Project name (which you just saved),

Note: even if you decide not to reboot, SAVE your PE project after you have done the corrections to the photo orientation and before you start the DVD process.

Of course, post your results back to this thread.

FYI - IF you experience symptoms that indicate the high resolution of the photos was a "resource" problem for your computer configuration, then you will need to make downsized resolution copies of those photos and replace the current photos in the slide show with those decreased resolution photo files. This is a tedious process, but it is doable. More details later if necessary.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Lady B » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:03 am

Thanks for that Barb, I'll give it a try.

I have been thinking that PE might be a bit of a grind on my PC - thought I'd see how it went before I talk to the Ministry of Finance for an upgrade.... (tee he)

I'll let you know how I get on. (probably won't be till tomorrow though)
Cheers
Barb
Lady B
New User
New User

Postby Lady B » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:06 am

If you are seeing the slideshow portion as a single "clip" on the Premiere Elements Timeline,

-- then right click on that Clip and take the choice in the Right Click Menu to Break Apart the slideshow
-- after that command completes, then you should be able to identify the individual photos

-- for each photo which is incorrectly rotated, right click on its image on the PE Timeline and choose Edit in Photoshop Elements
-- once you are in the PSE Editor, do the rotate there, save and you should be taken back to Premiere Elements automatically
-- I think that you will need to do this process individually for each incorrectly rotated photo, so hopefully it is a small number

Getting back to this.

I've broken the slideshow apart
I've picked one of the photos that is incorrectly orientated, right clicked and chosen Edit in Photoshop Elements. The trouble is that it's correctly orientated in PS Elements. I've tried saving it anyway but don't get taken back to Premiere Elements automatically and the photo is still wrong in PE.

I've tried rotating in in Premiere Elements, but it ends up skewed and stretched.
Lady B
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:22 am

In order to troubleshoot,
1-- I suggest that you use Windows Explorer to look at the photo dimensions for the photo which you had saved in Photoshop Elements. Using the Detail view within Windows Explorer, you may need to use the Choose Details function to add "Dimension" to the columns which are displayed. Post what the numbers are - objective is for us to understand whether for that specific portrait orientation photo, the number shown for shown for height or the number shown for width is larger.

2 -- Unfortunately I doubt that I can remotely solve why you were not taken back from the Photoshop Elements edit to Premiere Elements because I think there could be factors specific to your system. Therefore, we may need to take a different approach. To start, please tell me if you had Closed the photo file (so it is no longer open in the PSE Editor) or whether you had only Saved that photo and it was still open in the PSE Editor ? Also tell me what options you chose for the save - like did you include in a Version Set?

FYI -
There are multiple possible alternate approaches. I am posting this information here so they are available for your consideration now.
-- Alternate D seems like it might be the quickest way to potential success.
-- Alternate B seems to balance how much you must redo against potential success. It is making minimum changes to the workflow and concentrates those modifications in Photoshop Elements.

So my suggestion would be alternate B as a first choice with alternate D also a consideration for completing this project..

Alternate A -- I have received feedback from others that if they set the Organizer Preferences to manually do a Rotate (do NOT use the Orientation Indicator), then do a double rotate in the Organizer thumbnail area (rotate photo to left or right and then rotate back to upright position). THEN they use the photo in a new slideshow and it will be OK in Premiere Elements. Of course that would mean making the entire slide show again from the Organizer slide show editor.

Alternate B -- Back in the Organizer Slide Show Editor, save your slide show under a new project name. Then in that new project, use the ability to Edit the photo with the PSE Editor (from within the slide show), save new edit in a version set and verify that the new one is used in the slide show.
Then make a new Premiere Elements project and Send that new (current) slideshow project for to the new Premiere Elements project for Edit.

Alternate C -- Since there is also the potential concern that the high resolution of the photo files could cause resource problems on your PC, you could start again in making the slideshow. However, this time you would prepare the photo files by both decreasing resolution and verifying that for the photos which are portrait orientation, Windows Explorer is showing the dimensions of height greater than width. (in other words this does option A and in addition does the decreased resolution)

Alternate D -- Use the slideshow project which you currently have in the Organizer Editor, but instead of sending the slideshow over to Premiere Elements, output that slideshow as a WMV file with DVD dimensions. Play the WMV file on your PC and if it looks OK, then open a new Premiere Elements project, add the WMV file of the slideshow and then add your video. If that seems OK proceed to burn a DVD from Premiere Elements.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Lady B » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks for that extensive post, Barb.

Obviously I've got a lot more 'playing' to do to find the right combination.

I've tried rotating the photo in Windows Explorer and while the orientation is then correct in Premiere Elements, the top and bottom of the photo is chopped off. There may be a way to shrink it to fit, but I need to play around to try to find out how.

Your Option B is what I'd been doing all along and that doesn't work.

Options A and C I am not interested in. I've spent many hours preparing slideshows under Photoshop Elements (versions 6 and 10) getting the music and slides coordinated.

Option D sounds feasible, so I'll give that a try.

Got to say I'm very frustrated with it at present.
Lady B
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Relative to option B - I had thought that you were doing that transition from Premiere Elements to the PSE Editor -- but your most recent answer (I think) is saying that you were doing the transition from the Organizer slide show editor to the PSE editor. Do I understand that correctly ?

a question
After you rotate a photo by going to the PSE editor from the Organizer slide show editor, what does the Windows Explorer display show for the dimensions (width and height) of that newly saved photo file ?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Lady B » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:04 pm

I created the slide shows in Photoshop Elements and have edited all the photos before starting to create a slideshow.

Normally when I do any edits to a photo I add the word 'edited' to the file name, save it as a .jpg and as a version set with original. I then use this 'version' within the slide show. Once I've rotated the pic in organizer, it shows in Windows Explorer as dimensions 3240 x 4320 whereas previously it was 4320 x 3240.

I've tried putting them into Premiere Elements in a couple of different ways.
a) From Premiere Elements, clicked on "Get Media" and selected "from Elements Organizer" then selected the slideshows and then drag and drop into Premiere Elements.
b) From within Elements Organizer, selected the slideshows and then clicked on "Create DVD with Menu using Premiere Elements"
Lady B
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Lady B

There is a Scale attribute for each clip (or individual photo) on the Premiere Elements timeline and maybe this can be used to solve your problem of having the part of your portrait photo cut off. I am not sure how this Prem Elem attribute works, so I have asked other participants at this site to give me additional information about how to use that function.

while I am waiting for more information from others, can you
-- look at the Premiere Elements Timeline
-- and Right Click on on one of these Portrait photos then Uncheck Scale to Framesize option from that "pop-up" menu. What happens with the photo ?

Notes -
1 -- since you said you are new to Premiere Elements, I will mention that if you don't see individual photo images, but instead see only one image for the entire slideshow, then you probably have not done the Break Apart of the slideshow. So right click on that image which represents the entire slide show and choose Break Apart from that right click menu -- then you should see individual images and can do the right click on one of the problematic images.

2 --again since you are new to Premiere Elements perhaps you have the Sceneline on your screen instead of the Timeline. I am not sure if you can change the Scale to Framesize using the Sceneline, but you can try the right click and see what choices you are offered.

Once I've rotated the pic in organizer, it shows in Windows Explorer as dimensions 3240 x 4320 whereas previously it was 4320 x 3240.

FYI - That is what I expected.

adding by subsequent edit
Yes, I realize that you are frustrated. Premiere Elements is complicated and troubleshooting a problem on your first project is not fun.

An additional clarification is that
-- this approach of using the Scale attribute and turning off Scale to Framesize, would not work with my described option D.
-- I think that it would work with your prior projects where you placed the slide show in Premiere Elements.
Last edited by Barb O on Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding clarification
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Photoshop Elements