They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Photoshop Elements 10 Organiser delete photos

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Photoshop Elements 10 Organiser delete photos

Postby stefan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:26 am

Does PE7 Organiser allow you to delete one or more photos without a warning confirmation dialogue?

Still on PE7 but wondering about upgrading to Elements 10 bundle

One of the irritations in PE7 Organiser is the confirmation dialogue box when deleting photos which makes reviewing newly taken photos too time consuming.

Because of this, I tend to use PE7 to load photos but then use Picassa 3 to review and delete the photos I don't want (just press the delete key). I often end up doing editing in Picassa 3 as well.
stefan

Re: Photoshop Elements 10 Organiser delete photos

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:36 pm

As far as I know, the Elements Organizer 10 does ask you to confirm when you want to delete files. It does, however, allow you to permanently select the option to remove the files from the hard drive and from the catalog simultaneously.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:24 am

stefan wrote:One of the irritations in PE7 Organiser is the confirmation dialogue box when deleting photos which makes reviewing newly taken photos too time consuming.

1. If you expect you will delete many images, use Windows rather than the PSE7 downloader to get your images onto your HDD.
2. Open the first image with Windows Image Viewer and then click the right-arrow key on your keyboard to rapidly go through them.
3. For those you don't want, simply hit the delete key on your keyboard and--voila!--the image will be immediately deleted from the folder on the HDD.
4. Once you've culled all the ones you don't want, use the PSE7 Organizer's Get Photos from Folder command to allow the Organizer keep track of them.

::wav::
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:37 am

You could also create a Delete tag. After tagging delete the group. This tip was from Peru if I remember correctly.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby stefan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:42 am

I will take a look at the delete tagging idea, sounds like it could work. When you say came from Peru, is the user name 'Paddington' by any chance?

Using Windows to process the photos and PE to edit photos does not make a lot of sense to me.
stefan

Postby momoffduty » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:28 pm

stefan wrote: When you say came from Peru, is the user name 'Paddington' by any chance?

The user name is Peru.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:30 pm

stefan wrote:I will take a look at the delete tagging idea, sounds like it could work. When you say came from Peru, is the user name 'Paddington' by any chance?

Using Windows to process the photos and PE to edit photos does not make a lot of sense to me.

You said you want a method to rapidly delete the unwanted photos from your HDD, and I gave you one that I've used successfully with PSE7 for many years.

Tagging the photos for delete and then deleting that tag will delete the pics from your Organizer, but it will not delete them from your HDD.

:hat:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:21 pm

George Tyndall wrote:Tagging the photos for delete and then deleting that tag will delete the pics from your Organizer, but it will not delete them from your HDD.

That is true. Do not delete the tag, delete the group of photos. After tagging view only the photos with the delete tag. Ctrl+A to select all of the photos (I usually scan the photos to make sure there are no photos with other tags that I in error also added the delete tag.) Right click and in the context menu select 'delete photos'. A Confirm Deletion From Catalog box will appear and check box the 'Also delete selected items from the hard disk'.

I have version 5 so hopefully this is still available in the newer versions.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:13 pm

momoffduty wrote:
George Tyndall wrote:Tagging the photos for delete and then deleting that tag will delete the pics from your Organizer, but it will not delete them from your HDD.

That is true. .... I have version 5 so hopefully this is still available in the newer versions.

Yes, that will also work with the 7 Organizer, but it is more time-consuming, and I like to work expeditiously--which also seemed to be the objective of the OP.

A typical shoot for me is about 220 HD images. If I both import them to a folder on my HDD and then open that folder with Windows 7, I can--with the index finger of my right hand on the right-arrow key and the index finger of my left hand on the forward-delete key--cull the don't-wants down to 100-150 very quickly, on the order of 1 second each.

Then, when I "get" that folder with the 7 Organizer, I already know they are all keepers, and I can quickly tag them all as such.

If I was the OP, I would actually try out each method rather than reject an option outright because it seems to not make sense.

::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby stefan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:24 am

Apologies if my rejection of the Windows method was a bit curt especially when you had taken the trouble to reply to my question.

I had tried that method previously and rejected it, it is very similar to the method I was using with Picasa:

1. Import from SD Card using Windows or Picasa
2. Delete bad photos
3. Get photos with Photoshop Elements
4. Edit etc

If I could do this in Photoshop then I would eliminate one step. Plus editing, captioning and deleting is often a single process for me. Which I might do several times as I review an album.

I downloaded a trial version of Photoshop Elements and found that the Delete Tag idea works for me. Actually much better in 10 than 7 as it is possible to have both the Quck Edit and the tag dialogue box open while viewing images full screen. And it is just a single click on the delete tag unlike 7 where you have to drag the tag.

Only had a cursory look at 10 so far, I was impressed with performance and feel so have ordered an upgrade bundle.

Thanks for the advice
stefan

Postby momoffduty » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:26 am

Stefan, glad you have found a good work flow. Another reason I like the delete tag is that I can view the photos one more time as a reject group and can change my mind.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby stefan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:40 am

momoffduty wrote:Another reason I like the delete tag is that I can view the photos one more time as a reject group and can change my mind.

Yes that's a very good point, and I must must remember to scroll down before checking the delete from catalog and hard disk.

Although as a last resort all these photos do get automatically backed up almost immediately (using Memeo) to a NAS so I could always recover them if I had to.
stefan

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:21 pm

stefan wrote:Only had a cursory look at 10 so far, I was impressed with performance and feel so have ordered an upgrade bundle.

I am also impressed with the performance of PSE10. Not sure why, as it's 32-bit like PSE7, but there is no question that actions complete visibily faster than with PSE7.

Unfortunately, PRE10 is, despite being 64-bit, a disappointment in comparison with PRE7, for a number of reasons, the most important of which is that when I "send" 10's Organizer-created slide show to PRE10 for additional editing, many of the images display improperly (rotated). :-8
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:34 pm

George Tyndall wrote:Unfortunately, PRE10 is, despite being 64-bit, a disappointment in comparison with PRE7, for a number of reasons, the most important of which is that when I "send" 10's Organizer-created slide show to PRE10 for additional editing, many of the images display improperly (rotated).

George,

Based on discussions with others who have experienced this improperly rotated problem in some previous versions,

-- I agree with you that this problem did not exist in PE 7. I think that it may have started in PE 8, but it could have been PE 9.

-- The analysis was that Premiere Elements is NOT honoring (processing) an Orientation field within the metadata of the photo field.
The most common example is Premiere Elements NOT rotating correctly for portrait orientation photos where the camera set the orientation indicator in the photo file metadata.

-- There is a workaround of doing a photo rotate yourself so that the numeric photo dimensions reflect the portrait format of the photo instead of using the orientation indicator. I can look for more details on that workaround if you want to try it.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Barb O wrote: There is a workaround of doing a photo rotate yourself so that the numeric photo dimensions reflect the portrait format of the photo instead of using the orientation indicator. I can look for more details on that workaround if you want to try it.

Thanks for the offer, Barb O, however, I did not see any improvements in PRE10 in comparison with PRE7 that would make me wish to begin using it.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements