They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PSE 9 Album view

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

PSE 9 Album view

Postby gail spiro » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi- I installed PSE 9 today. I've had it for almost a year, and finally had time to get organized enough to install it! I thought I would love it at first sight- but alas - after using PSE6 successfully for so long, I'm miserable in 9! I feel like I've lost a good old friend. There are so many features in the organizer, (which is where I've spent most of my time so far), that are not intuitive and I do not like. Perhaps there are fixes to this- so I come to you with open arms- pleading for your advice!

I use albums exclusively to organize and manage my photos. The first thing I miss is that there doesn't seem to be a photo icon next to each album to quickly show me which album is which. This was an obvious help in PSE6- so where is it in 9 and how do I get it?! I'll add more questions as I go- but if someone can help me find the album icon I'd be so happy!
posting.php?mode=post&f=22#
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: PSE 9 Album view

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:10 pm

Sorry, Gail. This feature is apparently not available in version 9.

You can, of course, create your own thumbnail for Keyword Tags though.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby gail spiro » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:12 pm

Oh well. The other thing I don't like so far is the look of the photos within the album. In PSE6 it was so easy to quickly identify which photos were version sets and which ones weren't. In 9 they all seem to look alike. I miss my old friend "6"! lol
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:16 pm

gail spiro wrote:Oh well. The other thing I don't like so far is the look of the photos within the album. In PSE6 it was so easy to quickly identify which photos were version sets and which ones weren't. In 9 they all seem to look alike. I miss my old friend "6"! lol

You can have both 6 and 9 installed

I have both 7 and 9 but my one and only use for 9 is that it has some frames styles that 7 lacks.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby gail spiro » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:00 am

You can always copy/paste styles in the styles folder for 7. There's a very easy path in photo creations -let me know if you'd like the path. Then you'd never need 9! I do have my old PSE 6 and prem 4 still on the computer, but I'm extremely close to throwing the 9s away. They are slow and frustrating. We uninstalled them last night and tried re-installing to see if that would help. Just the load time alone is annoying, but I think we found a work around that should help. Adobe missed the boat!!! I am so disappointed in PE and PRem 9!
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:45 am

gail spiro wrote:You can always copy/paste styles in the styles folder for 7. There's a very easy path in photo creations -let me know if you'd like the path. Then you'd never need 9!

Yes, please inform me how to do that.

I do have my old PSE 6 and prem 4 still on the computer, but I'm extremely close to throwing the 9s away. They are slow and frustrating. We uninstalled them last night and tried re-installing to see if that would help. Just the load time alone is annoying, but I think we found a work around that should help. Adobe missed the boat!!! I am so disappointed in PE and PRem 9!

8 was even more annoying than 9. 7 works fabulously with my other software and hardware, so that's where I'm staying.

BTW, 9 does have the "content aware fill" feature that 7 lacks, but on the rare occasions that I need that capability, I use the version of Photoshop that comes with CS5.5 ProductionPremium
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby gail spiro » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Here's how to install layer styles in windows xp. I don't have PSE 7 but I'm going to assume it's similar to 6. (To clarify, for some reason, the path to the styles folder in version 9 is slightly different than the path to it in version 6.)

First of all, make sure both versions of photoshop are closed. Before we can get to the proper folders, you need to set your computer to be able to view hidden folders. To do this, go to your control panel and select folders. Then select view and click on the circle that says "show hidden folders". At this point, a bunch of scary looking folders might show up on your desktop. Ignore this and don't worry about it- when you're all done, you'll go back to the same view and click back to the "do not show hidden folders" and all will go back to normal. The first time I did this, I got a little afraid!

Next, you're going to navigate your way to the styles folder in elements 9 with the following path: C Drive>Documents and Settings>All Users>Application Data>Adobe>Photoshop Elements>9>Photo Creations>Layer Styles.
When you double clilck and enter the Layer Styles folder, you should see all of the Layer Styles that are installed in 9. Copy/Paste the ones you want to install in 7.

Next, navigate your way to the 7 layer styles folder with this path:C Drive>Documents and Settings> All Users>Application Data>Adobe>Photoshop Elements>7>Locale>en US>Photo Creations>Layer styles.
Double click on the layer Styles folder to open it, and simply paste the styles from 9 into it.
When you re-open your 7 editor, the new style should be there waiting for you in the "show all" layer styles drop down, alphabetically by name.
(Sometimes you have to restart your computer or open and close it a couple of times if it doesn't show up right away.)

That's all there is to it! Then you can go back and make your folders hidden again. Once you see how easy it is to do this- you may be tempted to go to a digital scrapstore and buy more new layer styles. They're really inexpensive, and so fun! One of my favorite stores to purchase them is "Scrapgirls". they also have great free tutorials with ways to use them creatively. You can do the same thing for other things, like brushes, with a slightly different path.
Hope this helps!
Gail
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby gail spiro » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:56 pm

One other new thing.yeah! My husband found a "work-around" way to open the pse 9 organizer, editor, and Prem 9 without having to see the annoying Welcome Screen at all, and it loads soooo much more quickly this way! He simply created a desktop short cut in the pse9 and prem 9 files and now I can open them directly with NO WELCOME SCREEN!!!!!!!
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Very nice! I've never been a fan of the Welcome Screen myself.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements