They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Slideshow - resize in slideshow?

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

Slideshow - resize in slideshow?

Postby Schupra » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:32 am

I am doing a slideshow - 100's of stills plus a few short videos. Got everything together in Photoshop Elements 5 with transitions, titles, etc. It was great. But couldn't get the music exactly the way I wanted. I started over in Premiere Elements 3 (don't make fun), but there were some effects in the slideshow that I can't get in the video. So, I split the slideshow into clips and pulled a couple of them into PE3. Of course, then it wouldn't render due to the large file size of my photos. I resized all the photos and saved them to another folder.

Now I have a slideshow over here. A video over there. And a new folder of resized photos in the middle. Is there any way to switch to the smaller files while in the slideshow editing mode? Or is it possible to resize the photos while in the slideshow edit? Or do I simply start over using the smaller files and Learn A Valuable Lesson?

Suggestions welcome!
Schupra
New User
New User

Re: Slideshow - resize in slideshow?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:00 am

Well, you've certainly come to the right place, Schupra. This is the friendliest, most knowledgeable forum on the web! Welcome.

When you say you've created a slideshow in Photoshop Elements 5, I assume you mean the Organizer program, which has a slideshow maker built into it. The good news is that that slideshow creator should port that slideshow right into your Premiere Elements project. Just select Send to Premiere Elements from Organizer's slide show creator's Output options.

BTW, we always recommend you resize all of the photos you're going to use in a Premiere Elements project to 1000x750 pixels in size. This seems to be the optimal size to create a good, quality video with minimal render time. (I go into much greater detail in my books, available through the Muvipix store at http://astore.amazon.com/chuckengelsco-20/ )

If you've got more than one video project in Premiere Elements that you'd like combine, just output each as a DV-AVI. In version 3 you do this by clicking to the select the Timeline panel and then going to File/Export/Movie.

Once your short projects are output as DV-AVIs, you can combine them with the slideshow you created in the Organizer into one big video project and burn your DVD!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Schupra » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Steve, you're in Milwaukee. I graduated from Washington High School many, many years ago! Used to ice skate at Sherman Park and Washington Lagoon. And cruise Wisconsin Avenue. But, I digress.

Here's my problem. I took hundreds of vacation photos and videos with my D5000 camera. I first started a video using the stills and videos in Premiere Elements 3.0 and ran into some problems. I then went to the Organizer and started a slideshow in Photoshop Elements 5.0. That worked really well - put in transitions and text including little 'speech' bubbles. However I wanted to use just the audio from one of the vacation videos (horse and carriage sounds) with part of the slideshow. Can't split the audio from the video to save as a separate file. hmmm.

Went back to Premiere. Worked with Elements as reference and a new video in Premiere. Cumbersome, but it worked. But then I couldn't set up the little speech bubbles in Premiere that I had in Elements. hmmmm. So I went back to Elements slideshow, broke it into little clips and ported those into the Premiere video. Looked like everything was going to work nicely. But no, I couldn't render the previews. hmmm. Went to forums and realized that I needed to resize the photos probably.

Resized the photos in Photogshop Editor in three batches and saved them to a separate location. Now I need to get the resized photos into the original I'veSpentDaysOnThisSlideshow. Is there any way to do it easily without starting over? :pull:

Yes, I could just use the Elements slideshow, toss in some music and be done with it. But, I have a Vision. :)
Schupra
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:39 pm

I wish I could tell you there was a shortcut, Schupra. But, as I'm sure you know by now, doing something that's ultimately going to blow people away usually takes a lot of effort. Oh well.

You can batch resize your photo with Photoshop Elements. Just go to File/Process Multiple Files. You can even designate that the resized photos go to a new folder so that your originals stay at their original resolution. Does that help you at all?

As for those speech bubbles, you have a couple of options. You can create your slideshow in the Organizer, port it into Premiere Elements, right-click on the slideshow on the Premiere Elements timeline and select the option to Break Apart Slideshow. That way you get your finished slideshow from the Organizer -- complete with special effects and graphics -- but it's broken down into its basic elements so that you can edit it more and cut video into it, etc.

The other option is to buy version 8, which comes bundled with clip art, including speech and thought bubbles which you can easily load into your project. The downside to that is that version 8 is, in a lot of our experiences, a rather clunky performer. However, there are indications that version 9's release is on the horizon, so it might be worth waiting a bit and seeing if it performs better.

In short, follow your vision, even if it means a lot of work! Every year, for the past several years, I've put together a "Grisetti update" video that serves as sort of a video newsletter about our family's adventures and challenges over the past 12 months. I usually start in September in order to have it done by Christmas. (In fact, I've already started on this year's.) I really go all out and sink hours and hours and weeks and weeks of work into it. And, in my opinion, it's well worth it. We still get those videos out years later because there's no better time capsule of our lives.

Anyway, really? You're a Cream City kid? Where do you live now?

Milwaukee is my adopted home -- but I've been here now almost as many years as I spent in my "real" home town. It's a great town (at least when it's not January). Please do let me know if you're ever back in the area. Fellow Muvipixers are like family!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Schupra,
I think there are some possibilities.
Everyone,
Please consider this post as the starting point for discussion rather than an answer or "the" answer.

Thought 1 --
Premiere Elements does have a function to locate files that no longer exist in the location previously known by Premiere Elements: MAYBE that function can help you.
-- Where are your photo files ? For example, some people make a single Windows Folder that has only the photos to be used in the slide show? Did you do that ? If your photo files are in a single folder for the full res and a different single folder as downsized, then this would be easier.
-- Are your photos being used in the slide show all cataloged in the PSE 5 Organizer or did you just add your photos to the slide show from their Windows folder?

Thought 2 --
Make the speech bubbles in Premiere Elements.
What are you doing with the speech bubbles? How many? How much text in the speech bubble?
The speech bubble itself is just a file (in Photoshop Elements 5, I think it is a .png file). So it could be used in Premiere Elements.

Thought 3
"So I went back to Elements slideshow, broke it into little clips and ported those into the Premiere video."
If each of these clips is independent, then have you considered exporting each of the little clips once they are in Premiere Elements and then doing a "master project" in Premiere Elements where you combine all the "PE exported clips". (I am gambling that since these "little clips" are OK being sent from PSE 5 to PRE 3, the individual clips will probably be OK for PRE3 processes like rendering/exporting.)
-- You could potentially add audio at the time you do the master project.
-- Will your final output be standard definition or HD ? Exactly what type of output or DVD disc ?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Steve and Schupra,

Upon rereading the posts in this thread, I realized that my "thought 3" is basically the same as Steve had posted earlier
If you've got more than one video project in Premiere Elements that you'd like combine, just output each as a DV-AVI. In version 3 you do this by clicking to the select the Timeline panel and then going to File/Export/Movie.

Once your short projects are output as DV-AVIs, you can combine them with the slideshow you created in the Organizer into one big video project and burn your DVD!

The slight modification for my approach is that EACH of the smaller slideshow "pieces" sent from PSE5 would also be output as a separate DV-AVI.

Note: the Break Apart process (mentioned by Steve for editing the Photoshop Elements Slideshow contents in Premiere Elements) can be used on the individual small slideshow "pieces" - but only BEFORE you create the DV-AVI output for that small slideshow piece.

General comment
Yes the advice of downsizing the resolution of photo files is good advice to keep in mind for future projects - even if we find a different method of solving your current dilemma.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Schupra » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:19 am

Thanks for all the thoughts. I'm letting the project float around my brain for a bit. OK, I'm procrastinating as it looks like I will have to start over using the resized files. Have to be in the mood because once I restart I won't quit until it's done.
Schupra
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:34 am

Obsession can be the best indicator of true inspiration, Schupra!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Creating Slideshows