They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Copyright and Nonprofits

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

Copyright and Nonprofits

Postby bbooks » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:11 am

I am creating a slide show for my local American Cancer Society office so that they can give copies of the DVDs to their volunteers as a thank-you for a recent project. If I understand copyright issues correctly, I can use the music they give me if it is their own legal copy and they are not selling the DVDs.

However, if they decide to use any portion of my DVD for their own promotional use, am I correct in my understanding that THEY (not me) would need to obtain licenses to use the music since I did not create the DVD for their promotional use. I'm having a hard time finding an answer to this specific situation.

Can anyone direct me to a place that would have this information?
bbooks

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:31 am

Basically, to be perfectly honest, you cannot use any copyrighted material in any production ever without written consent or a license agreement. It is possible that the American Cancer Society already has permission to use various songs, but they should be able to tell you that.

I get more concerned about the larger organizations than I do the small local event. If by chance the DVD you create was to get out it would not only be the American Cancer Society that could be sued but you also. They are a big fish and the artists are not afraid to call them to task for using one of their songs illegally.

Now, after saying all of that, just get a written agreement from one of the local officers releasing you from responsibility, holding the American Cancer Society 100% responsible for the content and use of music, and you should be ok. Chances are they won't give you the agreement and the music will be changed unless they actually have the legal rights to use it ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bbooks » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:54 am

Thanks much! That makes sense.
bbooks

Postby Gooder » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:34 pm

Hello bbooks,

While I agree with Chuck you could also try and get some free music that you can use and do whatever you like with it! Sometimes they ask for a link or mention where you got it from and if it is for a worthwhile foundation such as the Cancer Society then you may get more help!

I would not take the chance with copyright music but you can obtain some very good legal music on the internet!

Hope this is of some use to you!

Cheers,
Lee
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:06 pm

Also, from CNN Money: Tormenting Gitmo detainees with copyrighted music: Is torture a "fair use"?

The tormenting of Guantanamo detainees by subjecting them to round-the-clock barrages of blaring rock music has raised a thorny, if thus far hypothetical, legal question: Is torture a "fair use" under the Copyright Act

Yet as more traditional revenue streams for artists dry up, songwriters can't afford to be leaving money on the table. Music-as-an-instrument-of-torture does at least seem to offer the promise of a growing market segment: a rare bright light amid the general gloom.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:56 pm

you can obtain some very good legal music on the internet!

Right here at muvipix would be a great place to start, we have tons of music that comes with no strings attached ;)

Sidd, you sure make me laugh :happy8:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gooder » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:05 am

And some good free music can also be found on various video magazines!

Cheers,
Lee
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby bbooks » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:23 am

Thanks, everyone. I've talked with the rep and they indicate they are willing to sign contract language as Chuck suggested.

Thanks also for the tips on the free music. I've downloaded a bunch from Muvipix (thanks!). For another project I did, I actually bought some from The Music Bakery, and for a project I did for my own family, I used some from FreePlayMusic.com.

Lee, can you give some web sites for "various video magazines" that have free music?

Sue
bbooks

Postby Gooder » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:59 am

bbooks wrote:Thanks, everyone.

Lee, can you give some web sites for "various video magazines" that have free music?

Sue

Hello Sue,

I will sort out a few links for you and everyone else who may not know where to get free music. This Uk magazine has had free music on the DVD that comes with the magazine.

http://www.dvtechniques.co.uk/

I'm sure other members of this forum will join in but leave it with me and I will post what I know :-D

Chuck, if I find various free music from the magazine DVDs I already have would you like to host them? This could be a great source for Sue and others!

Cheers,
Lee
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:51 am

Hi Lee,
Always like to help people out and posting links to stuff like free music is a great way to do that. There are a couple of places we can do that, the Resouces page, post a new topic under Tools or under Music. If you want to start posting them in the Music forum if we get enough Ron can add the best ones to the Resources page. How does that sound?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Creating Slideshows