They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Abstract Background for SlideShows - Creation

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

Abstract Background for SlideShows - Creation

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Per a request on the Adobe PrElements forum, I have created a little text tutorial on using a still image and creating an abstraction of it to be used as a "background" for SlideShows.

A lot of NLE (Non Linear Editor) users create Slideshows with their program. Often, they are using archival, or heirloom photographs, and these can be of many sizes. Few are shot in the Aspect Ratios of most Videos. There are several ways to address this difference in Aspect Ratio. One is just to Crop the still images to match the Frame Size of the Video. However, this is often not a good aesthetic choice. Another way is to create a common “background” sized to the Frame of the Video. One also has to account for the differences in the TV’s that the audience is likely to be using.

This little article is on creating a “background,” and then turning it into an abstract image, so that it does not detract from the images in the SlideShow.

I like to “introduce” the audience to the “background” image, so that they first know what it is, and will recognize it throughout. This keeps them from looking at it, and trying to decide what it is. With a bit of “transition” video, they know what it is, so it fades from their consciousness and does not call attention to itself - it only fills in the area around the differently sized images in the Slideshow.

For this example, I started with an NTSC 4:3 PAR = 0.9 DV Project. I sized my Slideshow images to fit within the Title Safe areas of the Frame, so that they will not be cut off, even on the oldest TV’s. Since I have a “background” behind each, I’m not worried about any extra space on newer TV’s. Yes, the images could be made larger, but then might well be cut off due to overscan. This is something that I do not want to risk. I also created a “frame” around each image, to make sure that it snaps a bit from my “background.” One could also add a Drop-Shadow to get more of a 3D look, as though the framed images were sitting atop a larger photograph of my abstract “background.”

All operations were performed in Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Pro, with just a touch of work on the Audio in Adobe Audition. All resizing, and the addition of the “frames” was done via an Action in Photoshop.

The “background” is a single image. However, it does not appear as photographed, until well into the transitional video. I used Adjustment Layers>Levels, and employed an Adjustment Layer Mask, which was a Radial Gradient to the upper-left of the image. This was the brightest spot in the original image. Some of these stills had multiple Adjustment Layers added, as were needed.

I started with my normal photograph (a Nikon NEF RAW image) and resized it to a “master” .PSD. As I wanted to create a “dawn” look, due to the subject matter, I darkened the overall image radically, and Desaturated it a bit. As the “Sun” was coming up, I decreased the darkness working from that upper-left corner, and finally dispensing with the Radial Gradient Adjustment Layer Mask altogether. I added the Saturation back into the image. Each step was then Save_As and incremented by 01. Once I had achieved the “sunrise,” I used the unaltered image. From there, I began to create the abstraction for the background.

First, I used my Levels again, to increase the Contrast and also to lighten the image. I Desaturated it in stages, and then converted the Mode to Grayscale and added Duotoning with black and a light blue. Note: Duotoning will only work in Grayscale Mode, and Video is only RGB Mode, so I had to switch these back and forth, first to Grayscale Mode to Duotone, and then back to RGB Mode to do my incremental Save_As. I moved on to a darker blue Duotone (switching Modes as needed), and continued to adjust my Adjustment Layer>Levels, until I had what I wanted. In my case, I ended up with 18 separate still images, plus the “master.”

Note here, that one could also use Adjustment Layer>Curves, plus others, and could also add all sorts of artistic filters. I would probably run the final “background” image through Corel Painter for even more effects. This choice is yours.

The reason that I love working with Adjustment Layers (and their Masks), is that it allows me to change things on the fly, not have to rely of History to Undo things, and just tweak and Save_As. It is a simple workflow and with but a simple Ctrl-Alt-S, plus typing in the next incremental File Name, done almost instantly.

In PrPro, I set the Edit>Preferences>General>Duration>Stills to about 04 sec. and then I Imported my sequential .PSD’s into PrPro. Once in, I placed them in their order onto the Video Track 1 on the Timeline. Back in Edit>Preferences>General, I set a bit longer Duration for my Transitions, as I wanted most of the Duration of each still to be in transition. I set my Default Transition and just stepped through the “Clips” in the Video Track, hitting Ctrl-D to apply the Default Transition - a Cross-Dissolve. Simple.

Last, I extended the Duration of my final “background” Clip to the Duration of the Slideshow. I tweaked my Duration>Stills a bit, and then Imported my “framed” images, sized to the Title Safe Area of the Frame. These went onto Video Track 2 in the Timeline. Again, I stepped through these Clips, adding my Default Transition, Cross-Dissolve.

Music and SFX were added and edited, and I was done.

Remember, I made conscious decisions as to the parameters of my slideshow. You are certainly free to size up, or to Crop, as you deem necessary. This is not the only way to handle odd-sized, and irregularly sized still images. It is but one way, and my choice here.

Here is the finished piece:

Here is the finished piece:

Hope that this gives some folk ideas on creating a background for their SlideShows.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Abstract Background for SlideShows - Creation

Postby Clayton » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Very nice Hunt, and thanks for the tut. I can't wait to experiment. \:D/
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:06 pm

Excellent work... I never thought of creating a background like that. I will definately copy your idea. Very good. =D>
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby haacko » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:03 am

Bill - many thanks for taking the time and putting the effort into such a detailed presentation. Most informative and thought proviking - keen to try this approach myself.

Tony
haacko
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:31 am

Welcome to Muvipix, haacko. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Cinde » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:26 am

Bill, thanks for the great tut.

Since most of my videos are from stills of various sizes this is a great new idea for me. Liked the music also.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Thank you.

Liked the music also.

That was a SmartSound piece, and I thought that it was appropriate for the mood. Started to with a cut from Peer Gynt, but thought better of it, as there are probably © issues with the various performances that I have on CD, even if the composition is now free of restrictions (or possibly not, depending on the estate of Edvard Grieg). Besides, while I do love most of Peer Gynt, that piece has been used for so many "dawn" sequences, that it just felt cliched.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby karri » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:23 am

Terrific idea Bill Hunt, and thanks for the detailed "how-to" :TU:
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Creating Slideshows