They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pics for Slideshow

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

Pics for Slideshow

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:42 am

Have an upcoming project where someone is getting pictures over a school year. I would like to give her a list of what kind of shots would work best, a general guideline. Think that Steve said the editing starts before the camcorder leaves the bag, guess the same would hold true for a camera.

Here are a few that I thought of:

Landscape works better than portrait.
Don't zoom in, need room on the pic to pan and zoom in the slideshow.
Get creative action shots, not just a bunch of pics of heads.

Anything else to add to the list? Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Pics for Slideshow

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:58 am

Hey, cool! You're taking my advice!

Actually, Cheryl, it sounds like you're right on track. Here are a few other thoughts:

1) Certainly you want long shots as well as close-ups -- but, if you're taking a picture of a person, get a close-up.

2) Pictures where something -- anything -- is happening (even if it's just a bunch of people watching something) are more interesting that posed pictures.

3) Try to avoid shots that are dominated by the backs of peoples' heads, unless you're actually photographing what they're all looking at.

4) Ask your team to get at least a couple of shots of people actually doing something related to the day-to-day school routine -- chatting between classes, sitting in classes, sketching a model in art class, learning to drive in driver's ed.

5) And don't forget to document events -- everyone at a basketball game, a guest speaker meets and greets the kids, the day the health department closed down the cafeteria.

I guess I'm recommending what I always recommend. Don't just shoot pictures; try to get pictures that tell stories!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:52 pm

Very good ideas Steve. Thanks! This is for 3rd graders so hope they aren't in drivers ed :lol: Just remembered, they are performing a play and she will ask a parent to video (told her miniDV if at all possible) and will add that to the slideshow. Any tips? Like no firehosing to think of one.

Steve Grisetti wrote:Hey, cool! You're taking my advice!

Yes Steve, I was paying attention in your class. :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:10 pm

Can someone get some pictures backstage or in the rehearsal for this performance?

Those shots will be more precious than even the performance itself!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:43 pm

Now I would never have thought of that. Good idea. Having sat thru many, many grade school plays, the action is backstage with the kids getting ready and going over lines, etc. Thanks.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby stanatou » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:08 pm

I'll second Steve's suggestion to get footage of the rehearsal(s). I've done a similar project for my son's high school band and rehearsal pics and video show how they got 'there' . Shooting a rehearsal also gives the photographer a chance to know what's coming next during the actual performance so they can be in the right place at the right time.

A school year can produce a LOT of pictures and video and, if you're lucky, you'll have several 'perspectives' to choose from...so, start the editing process early (we're half way through this school year and I'm still working on last year's #-o )
stanatou
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks Stan. I did tell her to put pictures in folders...such as field trip, fall party, etc. That way I am not wading in a mixed up year long pics.
stanatou wrote:I'll second Steve's suggestion to get footage of the rehearsal(s). I've done a similar project for my son's high school band and rehearsal pics and video show how they got 'there' . Shooting a rehearsal also gives the photographer a chance to know what's coming next during the actual performance so they can be in the right place at the right time.

A school year can produce a LOT of pictures and video and, if you're lucky, you'll have several 'perspectives' to choose from...so, start the editing process early (we're half way through this school year and I'm still working on last year's #-o )

Still working on last years? Must have lots to wade thru! You're scaring me. :-8 I will be getting the material around the 1st of May and will have to be done by Memorial Day.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:52 am

stanatou wrote:I'll second Steve's suggestion to get footage of the rehearsal(s)....... Shooting a rehearsal also gives the photographer a chance to know what's coming next during the actual performance so they can be in the right place at the right time.

Exactly what I was going to say! Great minds think alike. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby stanatou » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:00 pm

...and great minds seem to frequent this place :TU:

Cheryl, please don't let my 'work speed' throw you off. While I do have several hours of video to work through, I don't have a lot of time to do it...especially in large chunks. I actually like a rainy weekend now and again because I can edit all day and not feel guilty about the yard work not getting done :-D . ...really looking forward to seeing a sample of what you put together.

Stan
stanatou
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:55 pm

Stan, thanks you got me thinking. Emailed her today suggesting she give me the first 1/2 year of pics soon to work on and also sent her the lengthy song list that was on a recent thread here. At least that would be a start. I work better when I have days off of a project because usually an idea will pop into my head when I am in the car driving, etc.

Thought of a few more pics to get: door to the classroom, the empty classroom, school bldg., the empty stage. Could use those as backgrounds, DVD menu, or the insert background that is washed out.

If you have anymore ideas, please post. Thanks.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby slushparlor1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:16 pm

Cheryl -

One of the things the teachers give me for the videos I put together each year is have the kids draw a photo for the start of the video (Third Grade 2009) Then at the end they have a few sheets of paper with all the kids names on it. It makes it nice for the children to see their names. Finally the teachers will write a thank you note to the parents and I will show that.
I have also gone and taken a photo of the school, etc.

Theresa
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Theresa their names written at the end is an excellent idea! Use that instead of the scrolling credits. Not sure what you mean about the kids drawing a photo for the beginning. Could you elaborate please? Thanks.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby moviemaker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:33 pm

the more time the better, i just finished 2 slideshows in 3 weeks and am still recovering!! long story short a lady needed seperate 2 slideshows/with video and she gave some minimal stuff the week of dec.15, and the rest came the following week and the following week,throw in the holidays, sick kids and a deadline of jan 8th, i was a zombie!! still am......, i think if she could get most stuff to you by march and then give you april/may at the beginning may, it might work better, that way if you have issues with some footage/photos you will have time to get it taken care of, i looked back at my 2 slideshows and wish i had more time, i could have done some better effects, but i just didn't have the time. good luck..
moviemaker

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:12 pm

moviemaker sounds quite the ordeal. Just having Christmas and sick kids is more than enough. Hopefully I will get the first half of the year material in a month or two. Just narrowing down the songs to use is a lot. Gave her the long list thanks to everyone here.

Last year I had an all day crunch project. Filmed from noon to 3:00, then home to capture & edit. The titles were all in Latin, so lots of emails back and forth. Burned the project around 7:00, made the cover, etc. and delivered the DVDs around 9:00. Actually my husband delivered them, I was too tired. :) Was new to editing then and it was stressful. The project was for a friend and he needed a video for a possible job. He did make it to the next round which was the 2nd interview.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby mark hansen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:49 pm

Some pictures of the school may be nice so they remember what it looked like back then. Also pictures of them in the lunch room.

My son is a teacher (5th grade) and he does something like that and he tries to get pictures of them at the begining of the year, and then at the end. its only 9 months, but some change a lot. A few that did change a lot he would morph.

he does video and had the kids do interviews... favorite subject, teacher, friends, what will they miss etc. Its a nice keep sake in the years to come.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Creating Slideshows