They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audio noise when transitioning song in slideshow

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

Audio noise when transitioning song in slideshow

Postby DaleTodd » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:06 pm

I have been putting together a slideshow for several months and am running into some slight difficulty with the audio portion of the project. Prior to one song transitioning to the next, there is a slight audio pop before the next song plays. I get this pop when I have a song where I have to cut out in the middle. These are both MP3 and WMV, it is only happening on two songs, others seem to work fine. I have photoshop elements 6. And am using Windows XP. I called the photoshop support line and even played it for the guy to hear and after he heard it but he still could not figure it ou..

One song is a MP3 and the other was a WMV file and they both do the same thing, pop.

Somebody told me that this forum is where the pro’s are. Thanks for any help you can provide.
DaleTodd
New User
New User

Re: Audio noise when transitioning song in slideshow

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:33 pm

If I understand it correctly, you are getting a popping noise when transitioning from one song to another? I have heard of this with other slide show tools. Seems that the sound card and Windows do not always get along. It seems that the pop occurred when the "music buffer" ran empty. The answer was to simply overlay the two tracks, so that as one is ending, the other starts. In this way the "music buffer" never runs empty and thus no popping sound. Try that and see if your problem goes away?

The other thing to do is to visit your sound card manufacturer and make sure that you have the latest drivers. This may or may not help.

Finally, what I have done is that I have used the free music tool "Audacity" to record some silence. I believe you could use this silence segment on a track by itself. That could quiet the ending when there is no other music to overlap. I have included the silence segment here if you would like to use it.

Regards,
-Vernon

silence.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby DaleTodd » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:48 pm

Vernon this is a great help, let me work on it and get back to you, but i have to admidt tha things are shuting down on my end, I have been working on this slideshow for tooo long, and i need to res before I screw somehing up and end up deleting it all at one....I think you are on to something...take care and thanks
DaleTodd
New User
New User

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:42 am

Dale,
I understand. Sometimes it is best to get a little rest and try again. I believe if you slightly overlap these two items, or bridge them with the silence piece, your pop may subside. Let us know how you are getting on with this. I routinely burn the candle on both ends. As a result I am generally toasty all of the time. :) . Keep after it.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:52 am

Hi Dale, Welcome to Muvipix :meet:

One of the problems with using Photoshop Elements for your slideshows is that the program is quite limited.
If you could add an audio transition between clips you could probably get rid of the pop. If you want to do more than just drop photos and music into the program, like edit audio and make changes, then Premiere Elements would be highly recommended.

Audacity is free and there are tutorials here that help learn to use the program, it can fix many audio problems. Still, I think you are looking to get more out of the Photoshop Elements Slideshow Creator than it was made for. That's why Photoshop Elements has been integrated so well with Premiere Elements. It would be simple to send the slideshow to Premiere Elements and then fix the audio issue :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:16 am

I wonder if the Readme.html for Photoshop Elements says the same thing that the ReadME for Premiere Elements 7 has:

"When previewing audio mixes, pops may be heard as the CTI passes form one clip to the next. These pops will not appear in your exported movie"
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby DaleTodd » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:39 am

RJ good stuff, but this is what I managed to figure out to stop the pops. When I clicked and added the audio, if I added it to the slide not immediately adjacent the last song/slide but if I added the song two slides away it would negate the popping. Unfortunately I have not been able to get my arms around Premier Elements yet. I am trying some of the tutorials but its coming slow. Thanks for the answers; the buffer seemed to have something to do with it. Thanks, now on to the transcode error problem.
DaleTodd
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:45 am

Dale, If you are checking out the tutorials be sure to watch them all.
Even the tutorials for version 2 are basically the same for all versions, even version 7.
Some things may have moved or changed slightly, but the basics are all still exactly as they have been for a long time.

Any questions that you have just post them here, we are all more than happy to help :)

Also, the Premiere Elements 2 In A Snap book (found on the Products page) is a great help, even for newer versions.
There are even excerpts around somewhere.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:15 pm

Chuck,
Also, the Premiere Elements 2 In A Snap book (found on the Products page) is a great help, even for newer versions.
There are even excerpts around somewhere.

Since (I think) Dale has version 4 of Premiere Elements, would Steve's version 7 book be a closer match to what he sees on the Premiere Elements screen?

Dale,
Here is a link to a description of Steve's book and it contains a link to do the order from Amazon.
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3792
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:31 pm

I will let Steve suggest what might be the best book for learning the basics of Premiere Elements.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:44 pm

It's hard to be humble at times like this, guys! :oops:

Anyway, both books have their strengths.

The "In A Snap" book takes you step by step through something like 125 tasks, which is great for learning how to do things like use chroma key, do Star Wars style opening titles and perform all of the basic tasks to use the program.

But, to get to know the interface (for versions 4 or 7) inside and out as well as how each tool works, that's where "The Muvipix Guide" is probably a better tool.

I don't know, Chuck. Maybe we ought to offer them both as a package at a special price!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:48 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I don't know, Chuck. Maybe we ought to offer them both as a package at a special price!

We could do that, anyone that is interested in both books bundled together let us know.
We will figure out something :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:08 pm

I like the idea of a bundle. There is so much useful info in the first (just like tutorials for earlier versions of many NLE programs), that it would offer a good background.

I still highly recommend Jeff Bellune's Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, even though it covers Encore 2.0, 95% of it still applies perfectly to Encore CS3 & CS4. The only thing missing from his book is the newer references to Adobe Dynamic Link, that connects Encore and PrPro. Everything else is still the way to do almost everything, including the interface between PS and AE. Now, I often get the comment, "but I have CS4 and this book is for Encore 2.0!" Yes, that is what the title says, but if one reads it, the only thing they will have to go to the manual and F1 for is Adobe DL (and it does seem to be a "work-in-progress"). BTW, Jeff tells me that his sales have gone up, since CS3 & CS4. Obviously, some people "get it."

I'd say go for it. Users will likely benefit.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Creating Slideshows