They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Flimmer (shimmer/flicker) problem in slideshows

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

Flimmer (shimmer/flicker) problem in slideshows

Postby enlightenme » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:36 am

After reading much praise for Magix Photos on to CD/DVD I purchased the Deluxe 6 version to create shows on widescreen 16.9 LCD TV.
Everything is great until I add the effects i.e panning and zooming (in moderation). No matter what I resize the 8mp images to( ie 2448 or 1280 X 960 I get this shimmering and flashing (referred to as 'flimmer') from various objects within the photo. The other problem is if i keep the image proportion so as there are black borders either side and then apply panning effect...the complete photo moves across the screen. I think Ive tried everything in the menus. I have a feeling its not the program..its me. The manual is not user friendly.
Ive contacted the Magix support and sent them images at their request to try...no answer as yet. Perhaps someone can help or suggest a solution.
Thanks John. ](*,)
ps no doubt folks will suggest I should have purchased ProShow Gold!
enlightenme
New User
New User

Re: Flimmer (shimmer/flicker) problem in slideshows

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:46 pm

One of the ProShow products would have been the suggestion of most everyone here I would imagine John, sorry to say.
Not sure how many folks here, if any, use the Magix product but hopefully someone does.

One thing you can try is adding a slight gaussian blur to the images with the shimmer, that helps a similar issue with still images in Premiere Elements.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby enlightenme » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:39 am

Thanks Chuck.... here's hoping ! I will try your tip, apply it to the areas in question, thankfully not the whole image. As a matter of interest is the ProShow Gold program free from this problem?.
The highly aclaimed Magix phots on CD/DVD Deluxe6 is fine when producing 4.3 shows...but widescreen format is driving me nuts right now. John.
enlightenme
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:37 am

ProShow Gold or Producer may have issues with flicker/shimmer also, but there is usually an effect you can add to reduce/eliminte it.
In Premiere Elements there is a Flicker Remover that you can apply to a clip/image (the whole image), it usually will completely remove the flicker.
I'm surprised that Magix doesn't have something similar.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:10 pm

The other problem is if i keep the image proportion so as there are black borders either side and then apply panning effect...the complete photo moves across the screen.

That how panning works, normally you would scale the image larger than the visible frame and then pan (i.e. move) the photo to bring the areas of interest into the frame.

For your flickering, the amount of gaussian blur needed to reduce or eliminate this is tiny, you can probably apply it to the entire picture and no one will notice. Apply the smallest amount that gives an acceptable result. But, remember, viewing on your monitor will not give the same effect as viewing on your TV. If this is going to be viewed on a TV, you should check it on a TV to make sure you have the amount right.
Bob

Postby enlightenme » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:42 am

My thanks for the help and suggestions.... Magix does have a flicker filter but the problem still persists at times. The odd thing is that the image can be so full of this movement I delete it from the line-up..but then I try it again with no changes and the annoying effect will have almost dissapeared. It may well be something I am doing incorrectly as Im reasonably new to this program. I try to keep the amount of panning and zooming to a minimum, A: because its looks better that way B: shimmer is not so pronounced.
I have always understood that when reducing the size of an image that 'linear' mode should be used. In my case reducing from 3072X2304 to the Magix suggestion of 2048 and 960 for TV 16.9 screen. The on screen images without effects added are very satisfactory, in fact beyond my expectations.
John.
enlightenme
New User
New User

Return to Creating Slideshows