They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help keeping multiple tracks "locked" or "synched"

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

Help keeping multiple tracks "locked" or "synched"

Postby silved2 » Fri May 16, 2008 12:49 pm

I have a 25 minute slideshow of 350 still photos that I need to shorten. This project includes text on some of the images in Video tracks 2 &3. My problem is that when I delete a still photo that has no text associated with it, Video tracks 2 &3 do not shorten porportionally by the same amount. This is painful because the images that did have text with then are all out of whack. As an example, in my production the name of the soccer players no longer match up to the right kid!

Can I lock these tracks together because I really don't want to have to reposition each text feature over each still? I tried to find a thread in Search but was unsuccessful as I am sure this has been asked before. Sorry, in advance for the redundancy but this "Feature Film" is to be shown on Saturday! So I am running out of time!
silved2
New User
New User

Re: Help keeping multiple tracks "locked" or "synched"

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 16, 2008 12:55 pm

This is a problem that everyone runs into in some form or another at some point.

Premiere Pro will allow you to lock tracks, Premiere Elements does not :(

Instead of deleting the photo; right click on the photo and select 'Clear' (or you can select the photo and choose 'Clear' from the Edit menu).
This will remove the image without moving anything, that way you can manually adjust the other images and tracks.

If you want to remove the same amount of space from the other tracks you will need to cut them at the same points as the image you are removing.

Another help when moving images is to hold down the CTRL or ALT keys while moving and dropping images. Each key works differently, there is a tutorial about this in the products section.

Hope that helps :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby silved2 » Fri May 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Chuck, hope you are feeling well. Thanks for your instant response. If I choose "clear" and play the slide show, will I get a black screen for those missing photos or will the next image downstream appear right away? I am not at my PE4 computer to try this myself at the moment.
silved2
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 16, 2008 1:30 pm

You will get a Black space where the image was. You will need to manually move the other images to fill the spaces.
You can try to right click in the blank space and see if 'Remove Gap' is available, if it is then give that a try and see what the results are.
Over all, this becomes kind of a trial and error test until you find what works best for you.

You may need to move your tracks 2 and 3 to another part of the timeline, out of the way.
After that you can delete all of the images you want to on track 1, then move the other two tracks back when you are finished.

And I am feeling much better :) Thanks.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Fri May 16, 2008 1:44 pm

I'll have to look, but I think grouping your photos and titles will probably help you. Select your photo and the associated title on the upper tracks (shift-click to select them). Then right click and select Group from the menu (Ctrl-G should also work). I think you can then at least move your photos and titles in groups rather than individually to adjust for the space.

It's possible that when you delete from the timeline, having your photos and anything on the upper tracks grouped would make the ripple effect work the way it's supposed to.

I can't check it all out right now, but if you are having problems trying this, post back and I will see if I can make myself more clear.
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Creating Slideshows