They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Slideshow Software Preferences?

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

Slideshow Software Preferences?

Postby Seamus » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:33 pm

Hello forum, :)

As I understand it, both Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 and Premiere Elements 4 are capable of producing slideshows.

My previous experience in slideshow creation was with Microsoft's Photostory, which was useful to a point. It was easy to impose transitions and a pan and zoom effect "slides" but I was unable to include video clips as part of the overall slideshow.

For a time I resorted to a very time consuming process of turning the whole slide show into a series of small video clips so I could turn the slideshow into an MPEG or a WMV or maybe it was VCD? I'm sure I managed to burn one or two CDs - eventually. Each "clip" would represent a segment of the slideshow that would be placed before or after an actual video clip (AVI) that I had shot with my video camera.

So, anyway...

My dream has been to find an all-in-one program where I could drop photographs and videos into a timeline and turn it all into one big slideshow and write it to a DVD.

I bought the Adobe Photoshop 6.0 and Premiere Elements 4 package in the hope this would meet my needs. So far I am unhappy with this Adobe Suite, but realise it is early days and I am still rather new at this software and the whole slideshow/video editing process.

I originally tried to make a slideshow in Premiere Elements but found I could not do decent transitions between "slides" (photographs or AVIs). I also found it hard to set the duration of an individual slide and setting the overall - or default - duration was a bit confusing too. I think each frame/slide was set to 25FPS or something. Anyway, when I found it too hard in Premiere Elements to set up a default transition between "slides" I thought I'd give Photoshop 6.0 a go.

Photoshop 6.0 seemed much easier and more intuitive. I set up a transition and imposed a pan and zoom effect on all the slides in a matter of minutes. It was easy enough to insert slides and multiple MP3s but I was unable to do a fade-out or a fade-in effect when changing music "tracks".

I need easy access to set an individual slide's duration, to have good transitions between "slides" with the ability to easily apply a favoured transition to the whole slideshow, plus more control over the soundtrack, which includes the ability to fade-out or fade-in the audio at will and to equalise the volume level so I can tie it in and make it feel like one smooth soundtrack.

In Photoshop, I can insert and adjust the length of each audio clip but the transition between tracks is very disjointed and the volume all over the place sometimes too loud then too soft and I would like to lower the volume of the soundtrack significantly when an AVI plays, then raise it again when the stills come back on screen.

Wow... it is way too late where I am. Hope you don't mind me cutting it short and picking it up again tomorrow.

At the end of the day all I want to know is what do the more experienced people use for making slideshows? Is it Photoshop or Premiere? Is it a combination of both PE6 and PR4 and if so, which parts of each program do you use for creating dynamic slideshows?

Or perhaps Sony Vegas is the software of choice for the home user? I'm told Sony Vegas is an all-in-one photo, video and audio editing solution and started out as an audio mixer so is pretty damn good in that department.
Seamus
New User
New User

Re: Slideshow Software Preferences?

Postby Bob D » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:16 pm

Seamus,

I haveused Premiere exclusively for creating slideshow. I use stills and videos as well as adjusting the audio when necessary. I suggest that you not give up on this yet. It is a very powerful program, but it does have a longer learning curve than other packages. It will be able to do all that you mention (and then some), but you need to know where to look.

I will say though, that if you want a quick method of creating slideshows, that some people will swear by Phototdex Proshow Gold/Producer. I have seen some amazing stuff from this tool as well. In fact, it was given to me for my birthday but I have yet to launch it (I'm currently doing a graduation video for my son). When I have a smaller scale project I will give it a try.

Bob D
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Rockdoc » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:32 pm

Seamus,
The good news (and it really is very good news) is that you have found the best place to ask your questions. This forum is often referred to by its members as "the best forum in the known universe" for good reason!

Others here will no doubt chime in with responses as well, but here is my .02:
In the end, there is no perfect all-in-one program for every camera, every computer, and every user. Most of us here use Adobe, but there are forums on the main page for other editing programs as well, so you will still be able to get help here even if you ulitmately don't choose Adobe products (try finding that somewhere else!).

That said, I really think the Premiere Elements/Photoshop Elements bundle you already have will not only meet your needs, but probably exceed your expectations. There is a learning curve with video (and photo) editing software of any kind, and while the Adobe interface is not always always completely intuitive to the new user, it is very powerful in its ability to customize many parameters of the effects and transitions to give you the kind of movie you want. And it can take you from capture to completed dvd with menus, which is the basic question you are asking.

The best place to start here for you, I think, would be to take a look at the gallery (we have an editing contest going on right now with some fabulous entries) to see what can be done with these programs, and to check out the tutorials in the products section for some advice on getting started. Many of the beginner-level tutorials are free, and a membership here will get you access to even more advanced tutuorials, not to mention music, backgrounds, etc.

The best part though, is this forum, where you can get fast and friendly help! Post here any time with any question and there will be folks around to help you.
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:16 pm

If you're trying to create slideshows as DVDs, then you've got the perfect bundle, Seamus.

My Steve's Tips article on slideshow creation will give you the inside scoop on how to make this happen most efficiently. You can find it on our Products page.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?maincat ... ubcat_id=7

As you probably know, we have a whole host of free stock footage, sound effects, DVD templates, tips, tutorials, royalty-free music and motion backgrounds in our Complimentary area. We also have hudreds of media clips, articles and tutorials that can be purchased individually or, for an annual subscription which is used to keep the site up and running, you can have unlimited downloads from the ever-growing library.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:31 pm

when I found it too hard in Premiere Elements to set up a default transition between "slides"

Seamus,

Maybe you should expand on that comment. You can choose a default transition when you first create the slideshow and as I recollect that Steve's Tip article does include an example of that. You also choose the default duration when first creating the slide show and again the Steve's Tip will show you an example.

Or maybe you were thinking of doing something that is "custom" rather than a provided transition. If you explain in more detail then perhaps Steve or someone else can help.

I totally agree with your comments that the Photoshop Elements slide show is very, very limited with audio. There is almost nothing you can do. So that does favor the use of Premiere Elements for any audio that you wish to add.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Creating Slideshows