They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

pre Wedding slidshow

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

pre Wedding slidshow

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:55 pm

When making a compilation slideshow of birth to present, what is the best way to organize the photos? The photos will come from:
1. scanned photos
2. CD
3. files on the computer, but not in the PS organizer
4. PS organizer

On #3, the files are not mine and there are 1,000+ photos that I do not want to bring into the organizer. Maybe copy the ones I want to a folder and then bring into PS? As for #1 & #2 I can put in its own folder. And item #4 copy those to a folder. All folders would be in a project folder. Then resize from there? Want to sort pics in each folder before I bring into PE3 that way I am looking at a group of photos at a time by folder and not a massive amount jumbled up.

Read on another thread it is best to resize and then crop. But, if you want to cut out for 3D effect wouldn't it be better to do that on the original sized photo(since you can zoom in to fine tune?) and move the image to a blank transp. 1023 x 768 file? The cut out would then be resized since it was placed on the smaller file?

What works best: early years separate and then both together for the dating years. Or early years intermixed? What is a good length for the slideshow? The audience would be the bride and groom and family & friends. NOT shown at the reception.

Not sure why I am taking this on, too many other things to do for the wedding (M.O.B.) ](*,) So any suggestions would be helpful. Thanx.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: pre Wedding slidshow

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:04 pm

When I do it, I usually do the bride (with her "theme song"), stopping just before she meets the groom; then I do the groom (transitioning to his theme song); then them together (with THEIR theme song), up to the present. The one I did last year was especially effective because her theme song was so girly ("Where are you going, my little one, little one") and his was so guy-y ("I won't back down, no, I won't back down").

Of course, I only dealt with a dozen or so photos of each of them, so they were pretty easy to manage. (This was a preamble to the wedding video itself and not its own separate feature.) I can't imagine dealing with 1000 photos!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Thanks Steve. But, no...not 1,000+ pics! Daughter has that many or more of their dating time period, 7yrs, for me to choose from. The most time consuming of the project is hunting for the pics, scanning, organizing. Don't think anyone would sit thru a 1,000 pic slideshow :shock:

It is a Cubs & Cards marriage, so will do a short segment on that. Haven't thought much on music, will check that thread and thanks for your music suggestions.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:44 pm

For the weddings I have been doing the company allows for 30 pictures, 10 of her growing up, 10 of him growing up and 10 of them together. The same song is used throughout the whole slideshow, I usually use Better Together. The Bride and Groom supply the images that they want us to use.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Maxine370 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:27 pm

I'm here to chime in with music suggestions (some for the growing up part, some for the together part):

Blessed Brett Dennen
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) The Beach Boys
Time of Your Life Greenday
Secret O' Life James Taylor
Donovan - Sunshine Superman
Stevie Wonder-Stay Gold(Outsiders Th
Secret O Life
Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) Original Soundtrack
Beautiful Day U2
All the Young Dudes Mott The Hoople
Growin' Up Bruce Springsteen
Once In A Lifetime Talking Heads
Memories Can't Wait Talking Heads
Golden Slumbers Ben Folds
Beautiful Boy Ben Harper
Having Wings Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals
I Got a Name Jim Croce
Carry Me On My Way James Taylor
Praise You Fatboy Slim
Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season) The Byrds
Only The Young Journey
No Such Thing [5.1 Surround Sound and PCM Stereo] John Mayer
As Time Goes By Jimmy Durante
At Last Etta James
Beautiful Alex Lloyd
Better Together Jack Johnson
Billy Joel - Have Yourself A M
Brighter Than Sunshine Aqualung
Crazy Little Thing Called Love Michael Bublé
Crazy Love Van Morrison
Curtis Stigers - Never Saw a Miracle
Elvis Presley - Memories
Everything Michael Bublé
Falling In Love At a Coffee Shop Landon Pigg
Father of the Bride Soundtrack - Tod
I Love You More Today Than Yesterday Stevie Wonder
I Will The Beatles
James Taylor-Your Smiling Face.mp3
Knock Me a Kiss Louis Jordan
L.O.V.E. Nat King Cole
Love And Marriage Frank Sinatra
Loving You Paolo Nutini
Makin' Whoopee Dr. John Feat. Rickie Lee Jones
My Idea of Heaven Leigh Nash
Natalie Cole - This Will Be (An Ever
Rat Pack - Dean Martin & Frank Sinat
Something The Beatles
The Best Is Yet To Come Frank Sinatra
This Is The Time Billy Joel
Today Joshua Radin
We Are In Love Harry Connick, Jr.
We Got Love Ryan Shaw
You and I Michael Bublé
You and Me Alice Cooper
You And Me Lifehouse
You Take My Breath Away Eva Cassidy
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby mark hansen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:49 pm

I have always mixed the bride and groom growing up by alternating and trying to show some parallels - when I could. For example, my son riding a horse at a fair when he was 6, and her riding a horse at about the same age in some sort of riding event. (she is a country girl so we had lots to choose from). On my daughters show, we had video of them dancing and doing crazy things as kids at about the same age, so those went back to back too. As my daughter and my son-in-law grew up over seas (both military brats), it was great to show pictures of here on London Bridge and him in front of the Greece ruins. Her at a castle and him at some other Greek place.

I always thought it was cute to show the baby pictures together. Then to the school years and on to dating.
I always thought it sort of showed converging paths until they met... then pictures of them dating.

Mine have been from 9-12 minutes with each picture about 4-5 seconds and times to the music. I wanted to stress the picture, not the transition or the other creative stuff I could have done, so most (not all) used a simple dissolve transition. I didn't want people think what the next transition would be rather than thinking about the photos. I did some stuff creative stuff like bring in some of the the school yearly photos two at a time so they could compare what they looked like at about the same time. Not all but a few were like that.

At 4-5 seconds per photo, I had lots of photos of each and most had to be scanned. So I sorted the paper photos in the order I wanted them and when I scanned, they were in that order by file name. I scanned at a high resolution as I didn't know which I would zoom in on until I put it together. I got away with the high resolution as far a rendering and lock ups. My first and second show was made with Pinnacle, when it stopped capturing video mid project, I switch over to PE3 and its only has gotten better as far as what I could do. (or course this board helps too)

Just my thoughts
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:43 pm

Hi Cheryl,

I agree the biggest job is making the decision about what your going to use. I did a pre-wedding vid from my bro and sis in law in the fall.
Some things that I did to organize is once all the pictures were scanned I created a tag for every picture so I could get to them all with one click, then I went through them and rated them (using the star system) 5 = yes, 3 = maybe, 1 = no. I was working with about 600 photos and a bit of video. One thing I would suggest is sitting down with the bride and groom and going through the pictures... There were a bunch of pictures I had rated as no's but ended up using. for instance, there was one picture of my Sis in Law holding a ministereo up she got for Christmas, it looked like just an ordinary photo to me, BUT I found out that she SOLD that ministereo the day after Christmas to pay for my brother's Christmas present! Plus if you get them talking you will really pick up a lot of tidbits that might spring other ideas. The extra time it takes might be worth it.

After getting them narrowed down I created collections (called albums now in ver. 6) and started further breaking them down from there. I separated it into three sections. Section 1 was the growing up pics. I used the same method that Mark described. The tricky part is keeping it balanced. I had waaaaay more pictures of my brother to work with. Section 2 was family and friends (wedding party) They are a fun couple and have lots of friends and wanted a section that was dedicated to just close friends and immediate family. The last section was a pic of them that I cropped tight on their faces and then used a couple of filters on to give them the same look and feel. I then finished it off with a morph of the two of them. This was the big hit in the audience. (I wasn't completely happy with how it turned out for the amount of work it was) but the Bride and Groom were happy and that's all that matters in the end. :) I know you've seen this before, but thought I'd share the last section. I got permission to share the last section.

_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Cinde » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:28 am

Jamal, I love the ending morphs. I'm so glad we can share our creations here and get ideas from each other.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:05 am

momoffduty wrote:
Read on another thread it is best to resize and then crop.

I normally carry out all of the edits, colour correcctions, other adjustments, crops etc. on the original sized pics. Then in Photoshop (I use CS3) go to File>Scripts>Image Processor and complete the resize task, placing the resized pics in a new (sub) folder.

Then if I decide I need to go back to the original sized pic for any reason it is still available in the 'edited but not resized' folder.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:12 pm

Wow, lots of tips...a very big thank you!!!! Trying to get organized before the project this time. With the tennis pics, I did batch resize into sub folders and brought them in to PE3 by folders. But, should have deleted the ones I knew I wasn't going to use first and were mixed up. Thanks everyone for all of the sorting tips. Good idea to delegate the hunting for pics to the bride and groom.

That is quite a music list Beth! They both like country, thought about Keith Urban Somebody to Love. Will show your list to daughter.

Excellent job Jamal, did show daughter the video a while back and she loved the feel of it and the song.

Thanks again everyone. And Mark still using your file structure on the digital photos. Starts with 08, too bad the last 7 years of pics are scrambled.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:15 am

Jamal, liked the pace of the morphing. What was the time set at for the morph and the time of each pic? Know you used Fantamorph.

Anyone using WinMorph? I tried a sequence using the default setting. Had problems using the customize, any tips?

The pics I used are cutout in photoshop and added photo on top of photo to get the scale and location, then saved each layer as its own psd. Any other tips?
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Wheat King » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:56 am

Cinde wrote:Jamal, I love the ending morphs. I'm so glad we can share our creations here and get ideas from each other.

Thanks Cinde!

momoffduty wrote:Jamal, liked the pace of the morphing. What was the time set at for the morph and the time of each pic? Know you used Fantamorph.?

I'll have to check when I get home to be exact, but after I created the morph I exported a file sequence of Tif's to maintain the transparency. then I imported all the files into premiere elements. Once in Elements I used the create slide show feature with all the Frames in the exported sequence to generate the slideshow.

momoffduty wrote:The pics I used are cutout in photoshop and added photo on top of photo to get the scale and location, then saved each layer as its own psd. Any other tips.?

If there's an interest I could write up all the steps I did start to finish in detail. I learned quite a few things along the way that may help others. Might take me a few days to get it done...
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:25 pm

Jamal, which Fantamorph do you use? Went to their site and there are several. The standard was $29 and on up to pro, etc. Is this a stand alone? You make the project in Fantamorph and then save the sequence in TIF's...then what in Elements?
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Wheat King » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:47 pm

momoffduty wrote:Jamal, which Fantamorph do you use? Went to their site and there are several. The standard was $29 and on up to pro, etc. Is this a stand alone? You make the project in Fantamorph and then save the sequence in TIF's...then what in Elements?

I went with the Pro version because it includes the multi morph feature. Multi Morph lets you add multiple photos into one project. Normally, one project would only include a morph between picture a and picture b. You could get away with just creating multiple projects but I went for the Pro version. Deluxe had some additonal stuff that would have been fun to play with but figured I'd never get to those features. Yes the program is stand alone but you can export in many different formats that Premiere Elements can use. (Attached is a screenshot of the differenet export options including a nice description of where and how to use them.)
fantamorphoptions.jpg

The Sens changed their logo this year here's a quick little morph I did recently when testing out version 4
SensMorph2.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:14 pm

momoffduty wrote:Jamal, liked the pace of the morphing. What was the time set at for the morph and the time of each pic? Know you used Fantamorph.?

I'll have to check when I get home to be exact, but after I created the morph I exported a file sequence of Tif's to maintain the transparency. then I imported all the files into premiere elements. Once in Elements I used the create slide show feature with all the Frames in the exported sequence to generate the slideshow.

The morph was set up to 15 frames per second and I had 19 pictures in my multip morph. So when I use the image sequencer it exported a tiff for every frame of video ended up being 285 individual tifs. Then you Import all the frames into your PRemiere Elements project. But to add them to the timeline using the create slideshow feature but set the image duration to 1 frame.

I should mention that the reason I used Image sequence is to maintain a nice clean transparency for the Tif. However, for my finished video I ended up using just an off white background. I had planned on using some other time lapse footage as the background but I wasn't happy with how it looked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Creating Slideshows