They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PAL and NTSC from same project/materials?

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

PAL and NTSC from same project/materials?

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:19 am

Created a wedding slide show for a friend using their slides. Almost done, but I have a question. They would like to send a copy overseas to their relatives. When burning the DVD can I select PAL and will PrEl make the necessary adjustments while rendering? I could try it, but thought I would ask since I do not have a PAL machine to test the output on.

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: PAL and NTSC from same project/materials?

Postby Briantho » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:04 am

I work in PAL. I did the opposite of what you're considering earlier this year and the feedback from the US was fine. After viewing almost two hours (on two DVDs) of a show I had filmed my contacts were even a bit surprised that I was concerned. Mind you, I don't know if working in NTSC and then producing a PAL DVD might yield different results - I'd say just go ahead! :-D
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:55 am

90% of the DVD Players in Europe will play NTSC DVDs just fine, you should be able to send them one of the NTSC DVDs. Steve has done this many times and they play just fine, no need to do a PAL version.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:14 am

Briantho wrote:I work in PAL. I did the opposite of what you're considering earlier this year and the feedback from the US was fine. After viewing almost two hours (on two DVDs) of a show I had filmed my contacts were even a bit surprised that I was concerned. Mind you, I don't know if working in NTSC and then producing a PAL DVD might yield different results - I'd say just go ahead! :-D

Brian,
Just to confirm your message. You took stills, video, and successfully completed both a Pal and NTSC DVD from the same content and project? Or did you have to create a separate project for PAL. In version 2.0 you needed to pick the project type first. I am not sure in 3.0 since I haven't done it yet. I would hate to create 10 copies and have someone hand carry them back only to find that they do not work. That would be very disappointing. Thanks for the insight.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:25 am

Chuck Engels wrote:90% of the DVD Players in Europe will play NTSC DVDs just fine, you should be able to send them one of the NTSC DVDs. Steve has done this many times and they play just fine, no need to do a PAL version.

Chuck,
Please excuse my paranoia. This wedding file will be going to Kuwait. I am not sure how that compares with England, France, et. al, but I want to be relatively sure that these will work or else it will be a FedEx bill for my friend. It is hard to say what level of technology a country has. I was surprised, in the year 2000, I was in high desert in Mexico and found that they had a fully functional cell phone network, with handsets too tiny to hold. It was a case that there was no infrastructure and rather than going through the expense of building towers and stringing wires, they used current generation satellites. Their implementation leap frogged us here in the U.S. because of our support of legacy infrastructure. Here I would have expected single poles, operating on a party-line, and yet they had state of the art stuff. So I am not so sure what to expect any more. Technology implementation is patently uneven, even here in the U.S. It has created the digital divide, a term you don't here much about these days, but still exists. Sorry for the long message, but any idea about Kuwait? Can Brian's approach work? It would seem like that is the lowest risk and the primary reason for including the functionality in the product. Otherwise I would guess that Adobe would sell a PAL version in Europe/Japan and a NTSC version for the U.S. Thanks again for all of your help.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:33 am

VernonRobinson wrote:
Briantho wrote:I work in PAL. I did the opposite of what you're considering earlier this year and the feedback from the US was fine. After viewing almost two hours (on two DVDs) of a show I had filmed my contacts were even a bit surprised that I was concerned. Mind you, I don't know if working in NTSC and then producing a PAL DVD might yield different results - I'd say just go ahead! :-D

Brian,
Just to confirm your message. You took stills, video, and successfully completed both a Pal and NTSC DVD from the same content and project? Or did you have to create a separate project for PAL. In version 2.0 you needed to pick the project type first. I am not sure in 3.0 since I haven't done it yet. I would hate to create 10 copies and have someone hand carry them back only to find that they do not work. That would be very disappointing. Thanks for the insight.

Regards,
-Vernon

No stills, just video with everything else imaginable. In 3.0 you choose PAL or NTSC at the burning stage so it's one project for both requirements. I had a separate folder for each and Nero just burned the respective contents as directed.

Cheers, Brian.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:31 pm

Briantho wrote:
VernonRobinson wrote:

Brian,

Regards,
-Vernon

No stills, just video with everything else imaginable. In 3.0 you choose PAL or NTSC at the burning stage so it's one project for both requirements. I had a separate folder for each and Nero just burned the respective contents as directed.

Cheers, Brian.

Brian,
Great. Just what I was hoping for.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Creating Slideshows