They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hello from another Novice

A place to introduce and tell a little about yourself.

Hello from another Novice

Postby ramlin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 am

Hi,

My name is Derrick. I have dozens and dozens of mini DV tapes and old vhs tapes - I have never put them on disc or edited them as I have been too technology phobic to do this. I have an aging Sony camcorder I bought 6 years ago called (if I remember correctly) the TVR 33 which is on its last legs and, from time to time, needs to be hit to work.....I love photography and have a canon 450 (XSi) with a large collection of lenses. I mainly take pictures and film the family and holiday events. Like films, I have been somewhat wary of procesing photos (although I shoot in raw and will process via Canon's DPP - beyond that - I am lost).

So I have just bought PSE8 with the Premiere Elements 8 bundle - bought a couple of books - feel somewhat agog at the task before me and have decided to join this forum.

I have a number of short term projects - they are to transfer a number of old vhs video tapes (such as the wedding video) to DVD. I have a canopus advc 100 which hopefully will help and I am about to go to the capture forum for assistance there. I also want to transfer the dozens of mini dv tapes I have to dvd and I want to buy a new camcorder (around the GBP 400 mark).... I would also like to solve all the world's problems but that's for another forum ;)
ramlin
New User
New User

Re: Hello from another Novice

Postby Bobby » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:56 am

Hello and welcome ramlin. Sounds like you have quite a task ahead of you, but you came to the right place - lots of help here. Just start posting questions...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:05 am

:wcm:

Glad to see somebody else on the same mission. While I have almost all video in digital form now (but only some edited), I have many hours ahead of me scanning old photos and negatives. I've been procrastinating because it's more tedious than capturing video.

It sounds like you've done some good research on the topic. I agree with Bobby, "you came to the right place . :TU: "
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:23 am

And I'll add my welcome. You'll find that there are a lot of us here who have taken, or are taking, on projects like what you have in mind. There's a tremendous resource here of very technically capable people who are more than willing to share and problem-solve. I can guarantee you won't find a friendlier or better place to participate for these needs. And I have no stake here, just a satisfied member. Enjoy, and good luck!
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby ramlin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:02 am

Just a short note to thank all those people who have welcomed me.....yes, a huge task but I hope (children, wife and work willing) I'll have the time to master the art!
ramlin
New User
New User

Postby momoffduty » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:11 am

Welcome to Muvipix Derrick! There are many knowledgeable people here that can help with your tasks ahead. :wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:33 am

Welcome Derrick. As you are quoting camera prices in UK£s I assume you are in the UK(?) :wcm:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:48 am

ramlin wrote: I would also like to solve all the world's problems but that's for another forum ;)

You would be surprised at all we accomplish here Derrick ::wav::

Welcome to Muvipix :wel2:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, ramlin!

And let us know if there is something you have a specific question about. We've got some great tutorials -- and lots of wise, friendly people on this forum!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ted » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Derrick, please feel welcome here!

You seriously will NOT find a forum where the people are as eager and willing to help... add to the fact that they have the patience of Job, you've hit the gold mine here. :)
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Introductions