They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Newbie here

A place to introduce and tell a little about yourself.

Newbie here

Postby Wildcat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm an honest 65 year old virgin when it comes to video editing so I ask a little understanding if I totally misunderstand some of the things on here. I thought video editing was beyond me but I plan to be taking several over seas trips and bought a new Panasonic Lumix FZ-300 camera hoping to shoot some 4K videos and put them on DVD's for the family to watch. I will be asking tons of beginners questions.

I live out in Western Kentucky and just bought a new PC and Photoshop Elements 15 & Premiere Elements 15. I also ordered Muvipix Guide to Premiere Elements 15. I hope to learn how to turn my home videos into a better video than I did when I was in my 20's and 30's before PC's were common.
Wildcat
New User
New User

Re: Newbie here

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi Wildcat, Welcome to the friendliest, kindest, greatest forum on the internet. we have nothing but patience and understanding :meet:

I will turn 61 this year, if I can do it I know you can too ::C

To start with, 4K video is great but you can't put it on a DVD. At least not at the same quality :)

We are here to help so ask away and we will do what we can. We also have a lot of other resources available. Be sure watch our free basic training videos, created by the author of the Muvipix Guides Steve Grisetti himself.

Premiere Elements Basic Training

There are also many more resources that are for subscribers, subscriptions help to allow us to keep doing what we do and help folks like you. At $70 per year or less the price and quality can't be beat.

Muvipix Subscriptions

Happy Editing !! I know you will love it here at Muvipix :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Wildcat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Thanks, now I've learned something on my very first post first post.

What about AVCHD? Will they work with DVD's? Ever BluRay DVD's?
Wildcat
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:04 am

:wcm: Good to have you here Wildcat!
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:00 am

Welcome aboard, Wildcat! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:53 am

Wildcat wrote:What about AVCHD? Will they work with DVD's? Ever BluRay DVD's?

DVDs are basically made for standard definition video. You can take any of your footage and put it on a DVD but the quality will be standard definition quality.

Blu Ray discs are high definition but you need a Blu Ray burner and Blu Ray player to burn and play them.

There are now 4K Blu Ray burners and players, you can then create 4K discs but won't look awesome unless they are played on a 4K TV.

Basically it depends on your audience and how you want to distribute your movies. Many people are just putting the video onto a flash/thumb drive and playing it through the USB port on a smart TV. There are lots of options for playback of your edited movie that we can cover. If your audience does not have 4K TVs then 4K doesn't really matter.

I do hope you have a very powerful computer as editing 4K video is a very intensive process and takes a lot of computer power to edit without issues. I think that before worrying about how to deliver the final product it would be good to get to know the software and get past all of the initial challenges first.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, Wildcat. Don't be afraid to ask as many beginners questions as you need. We remember what it was like when we were first learning video editing and we are very patient and understanding.

Premiere Elements should be able to handle all the resolutions your camera records and create DVDs, Blu Ray disks, or video files for distribution and viewing depending on what you want to do with your finished edited videos. You don't need to shoot in standard definition to make a DVD -- Premiere Elements will make the conversion for you. 4K ultra high definition footage takes a lot of computer power to process. You may want to shoot some test videos at the various resolutions and see how well your computer handles them (and compare the visual quality) before you take your first trip.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:12 am

Welcome.

Depending on your system you are using, trying to record your source video in 4k is not a bad way to go. My system is a bit less robust that I would prefer so shooting in 4k means that it is just a much slower process. I usually render my 4k videos overnight because they take so long.

But I have noticed a difference that video I record in 4k and output to 1080p seems to look sharper than video recorded at 1080p

One of the good things about Muvipix is that there are a variety of ideas and 99% of the folks appreciate your interest and want to help you by providing strategy options to help you on your way.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:18 am

Hi, Wildcat. and welcome!

When I first started taking video, I approached it like I did photography:
I took as many shots as I could, didn't worry if they were all usable, and figured that there would be enough good ones. I though that I could fix the bad ones in post if I didn't get the shot properly recorded.

Well, I was in for a surprise. Camera work does matter. You can fix a lot less in post with video than photos.
So, my piece of advice is to practice using that camera and think ahead about camera settings and plan how you want to frame your video.
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Welcome Wildcat to Muvipix! You have come to a great community to learn. I joined over a decade ago and was computer illiterate. I asked lots of questions, watched the tuts here, and read Chuck & Steve's books.

Take test clips with your camera before your trip and edit and export. You can fine tune your camera settings that way and check out how you framed your shots. Panning....however slow you think are going go slower. Leave some heads and tails on the clips to help in editing later (shoot extra video before and after the shot you wanted). And like Peru stated think about framing.

With 4k video you have options. If you want to burn to DVD, edit your 4k video in that timeline/project setting. Export by down converting to SD. Save a 4K edit of your project to your computer. You could join Vimeo and place your file in a private album and share with friends and family. They would also have an option to download in various sizes. Another option to share is to transfer the completed HD project to a thumb drive.

Congrats on your new camera! Happy shooting and editing!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:07 am

Nothing to add to the above except top say that we were all beginners once and we all remember well the help and support that we received from this community.

Welcome to Muvip[ix; you'll like it here. :meet:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:23 am

One thing to add: extra batteries. Higher file sizes will drain your battery fast. Again take some tests. :-D
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Introductions