They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

muvipix Maintenance Scheduled

Any updates to our site, contest information or noteworthy announcements will be posted here.

Re: muvipix Maintenance Scheduled

Postby Jayell » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:04 pm

Ron wrote:A quick, down & dirty RSS FEED complete :blackeye:
Change the 25 to whatever you want as output. It's not formatted pretty, but it should do the trick for now.

25 is perfect, Ron! And it worked .. except I got everything twice. May be at my end. I'll play with it some more.

Thank you .. thank you .. thank you :!:
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gerry » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:42 pm

Ron wrote:"View new posts" left-hand side, top :) And don't worry, if you don't read them all, they'll still be new posts when you return next time. I'm particularly liking that feature as well.

Ok, but what I'm not getting is this: Let's say I only want to read 4 of the 20 topics with new posts. Not interested in the other 16. How do I get it so that next time when I log in, only the topics with new posts since my last visit are shown? In other words, if no one has posted on any of those 16 topics since my last visit, how do I make it so that they no longer show up as "new posts"?

Otherwise, those 16 topics will continue to show up as "new posts" ad infinitum.
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ron » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:53 pm

OK, read your 4 topics and right before you leave, click on "Mark all forums read" on the right hand side. When you return and click on "View new posts", the only topics that will show are the ones since your last visit.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bob D » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:04 pm

I'm with Gerry on this one. But I still haven't figured all the behavior out yet on the new forum.

There is no "mark all read" if you click into "View New Posts". From here I may read 4 of the 20, and in the old forum when I came back in I would just see the new ones since last visit. What I'm not positive about yet with the new forum is if I click on "View New Posts" if it really is giving me new post since last visit or not.

But I have learned to adapt and do find the look and feel of the new forum very nice.

Bob
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:19 pm

I think this is how it works;

Click on the 'View New Posts' link located between the 'Recent Topics' and 'Welcome' Panels. When you have finished reading all of the post you want to read and want to mark them all 'Read', so the next time you visit you will only see the new ones since the last time, click on the 'Board Index' link at the top left. Once you are at the forum main page you will see, between the 'Recent Topics' and 'Welcome' Panels on the right side, a link that says 'Mark Forums Read'. Just click on that link and it will mark everything 'Read' and the next time you come back you will only see the new items since your last visit. You must click that 'Mark Forums Read' link for this to work however.

Does that help? :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:54 pm

I've already addressed my concerns to Ron, so I don't want this to sound like I'm just beating the proverbial horse. Previously I had set up to receive a daily digest of all the posts in the past 24 hours. I just don't have the time to keep checking back repeatedly on the website to see what's new. I enjoyed being able to sit down in the evening and catch up on the day's posts all at one time in the digest. With the new software I now find that the digest option no longer exists. Ron says that an RSS feed is forthcoming, but that's not the same. Although I didn't do much posting I did keep up on things and learned a lot just by reading and seeing what everyone else was doing. When cold weather comes to Ohio I will have more time for editing and playing with my own projects. Unfortunately this leaves me out of communication and is a very disappointing development. :(
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Gerry » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:57 pm

There's something I'm not getting, then.

I logged in about 20 minutes ago, at 10:30pm, read the posts I wanted, and managed to find the "Mark All Read" link (wow... that's not easy to find!) and clicked it. I then got the full listing of all topics. I went off to another website.

It's now 10:55pm, and I logged back on, clicked on "View New Posts" and I got a list of about 15 topics, some of which said the last post was at 4:30pm or 5:00pm tonight.

Is there some minimum "waiting period" that has to pass before the "Mark All Read" kicks in?

(I'm using this smiley :albino: because I can't figure out why you'd ever want to use it for anything ever...)
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Jayell » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:53 am

I'm seeing some sort of similar issue to what Gerry's mentioning with the RSS feeds (same process?). Seems like they download .. I read them. Then a few hours later I download some more (but they're the same ones I've already read .. with NO new input). I think I may even have been seeing triplicates, but don't quote me on that.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ron » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:21 am

Hm, it's really hard to explain every feature so that everyone understands (mainly because everyone wants different features, and it cannot technically be done), but I'll do my best. I assure you that the board is working correctly in all aspects.

History : There were some folks that "complained" because the posts got read automatically when they left the forum and came back. Now that this feature is reversed (they don't get read unless you physically read them - similar to Adobe forum), Now I'm hearing that some don't like it this way. Both features can't coexist, sorry.

@Gerry - When you say "...logged in...", are you literally logging in each time you visit? Because it's not necessary. There's a check block to log you in automatically, if desired, underneath the login boxes.
@Gerry & Bob D - (follow me now ... again, harder to explain than actually perform these actions one you're used to it):

If you want brand new posts when you visit this forum, you must "Mark forums read" AND close your browser to end the session. In other words, if you perform any actions, then browse to cnn.com, look around there, then return to muvipix forum, your [browser] session is still active. New posts will still be new posts, they've just been read now (if you marked them read, they will still show up as new posts, just won't have the new post Image indicator) That being said, "Mark forums read", close your broswer (session ends), even for 5 seconds, open it again, navigate back to muvipix.com forums ---- absolutely no new posts (unless someone posts in that 5 seconds).
Now close your browser, watch your favorite TV show, come back in 1 hour. 2 topics have been posted since your last visit (during the TV show). Click on "View new posts" - only 2 topics show up with the new post indicator Image

@jayell - I just clicked the RSS indicator and received the last 25 topics posted. This is a wild guess, but it sounds as if you have cache issues. If you're on a broadband connection, make sure that your cache clears each time to close the browser. (That option is mainly for dial-up users who need the additional speed of loading old content/images).
Also, there are many ways you can subscribe to RSS Feeds - which feed medium, which browser or email client you're using will decide the performance. You could try switching to a different subscription viewer to see if the problem clears.

@Dave - again, can't please everyone 100% of the time. Believe it or not, you are a minority. Only 7 users (including me for testing purposes) out of 400 or so actually used the Digest feature with the former software. This current software is in "Release Candidate" status, meaning that it's close to being officially released as stable. Once this happens, more options will be made available and if a DIgest feature is created, you can bet I'll implement it again :)
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gerry » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:21 pm

Ron wrote:@Gerry - When you say "...logged in...", are you literally logging in each time you visit?

Nope. I'm leaving the forum and closing my browser.

Ron wrote:"Mark forums read", close your broswer (session ends), even for 5 seconds, open it again, navigate back to muvipix.com forums ---- absolutely no new posts (unless someone posts in that 5 seconds).

I understand. But that just doesn't seem to be the way it's working for me. Close my browser, open it again, come back to movipix.com and I see basically the same list of messages I'd seen 15 seconds earlier.

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Gerry » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Not to belabor this but to hopefully assist in troubleshooting...

Just to make sure I wasn't on crack, last night I went through the process slowly at home on my Dell PC -- I did the "VIEW NEW POSTS" then read a few, then "MARK ALL READ" then completely closed the browser down. I re-opened it, came back to the forum, did a "VIEW NEW POSTS" again and the same "new messages" showed up on the list.

To further test, I just did the same thing here at work on an OS X iMac -- same result.

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Gerry » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:25 pm

I forgot to mention: the PC test was done on Internet Explorer and the Mac test was done on Firefox.

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:28 pm

Gerry wrote:Not to belabor this but to hopefully assist in troubleshooting...

Just to make sure I wasn't on crack, last night I went through the process slowly at home on my Dell PC -- I did the "VIEW NEW POSTS" then read a few, then "MARK ALL READ" then completely closed the browser down. I re-opened it, came back to the forum, did a "VIEW NEW POSTS" again and the same "new messages" showed up on the list.

To further test, I just did the same thing here at work on an OS X iMac -- same result.

A new post is identified with the a different colour. (orange not white) is this what is causing confusion. I see the same thing that Gerry does but the posts that I have REad show a white icon. The posts I have not read yet show and orange icon.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:31 pm

But do they have a check mark? That means they are New posts.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Doreen L. » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:43 pm

One thing I noticed is if I'm following a topic via email, when I click on the link, I have to log on plus type my username again and get the do you want blah blah remember your information. With the old software, it just took you to the topic and last post (much simplier).
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements