They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The Muvipix.com Guide to PSE & PE-7!

Any updates to our site, contest information or noteworthy announcements will be posted here.

Re: The Muvipix.com Guide to PSE & PE-7!

Postby holotrope » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi Steve.

I very much appreciate the free information you have provided online both at Muvipix and at Adobe forums; your posts have helped me work with Premiere Elements 7. I have Adobe's Classroom in a Book for Elements and Premiere Elements 7, but there is so much they don't address in it that you address in your posts and in your books on the software.

I came this close to ordering your Muvipix dot com Guide To Adobe Premiere Elements 7 from Amazon today when I saw that you now have a guide to both Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 7 in one volume, and that it is available for only a little more money than your standalone guide to Premiere Elements 7. Using Amazon's "Look Inside" feature, I compared the table of contents for your guide to both books and I also compared a few passages by using the "Search Inside This Book" feature, and it appears as if your Muvipix dot com Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 7 includes the contents of your Muvipix dot com Guide To Adobe Premiere Elements 7. Is that the case? I want to know before buying, because obviously it would not make sense for me to buy both The Muvipix dot com Guide To Adobe Premiere Elements 7 and The Muvipix dot com Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements 7 if buying the latter would provide me with the contents of the former.

I used to live in Milwaukee (technically Shorewood), now I'm in rural western Kentucky but I visit Wisconsin (Milwaukee and Madison) often as I have family there. I recently turned my son-in-law on to Muvipix dot com; he is a professional photographer who also works full time at a marketing design firm with offices right across from the capital building in Madison, and he was pleased to learn about the site and you.

All best,

Jim
holotrope
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:43 am

Yes, Jim, the guide to Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 includes everything from the Premiere Elements 7 book (including some updated information and illustrations). So, if you get the guide to both programs, there's no reason to buy the other book.

And how nice to meet a fellow Milwaukeean! (Even if it's been awhile since you called it home.) Please do feel free to let me know if you're ever in town and want to grab lunch or a cup coffee. (And that goes for any of my Muvipix family.) It's always a joy meeting face-to-face with the wonderful people I meet on this forum.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:32 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:And how nice to meet a fellow Milwaukeean!

Steve, here is what I remember about Milwaukee: My friend Chris and I were having our first "liberty" from navy boot camp in nearby Great Lakes.

We were celebrating that we both had accomplished our goal of having the navy send us to learn a language at the Defense Language Institute, which is located at the Presidio of Monterey in California. I seem to remember that the celebration involved imbibing something called "Milwaukee's Finest."

After graduating boot camp in early 1968, we started our trip to Monterey at the spot where Route 66 then began in Chicago.

:TU:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:20 am

Sounds me to, George, like you definitely got your kicks on Route 66!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:09 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Sounds me to, George, like you definitely got your kicks on Route 66!

The truth is that we stopped only very briefly for food, gas and a few photos; we took turns driving while the other slept, because we were so excited to get to California that we could hardly bear the thought of stopping even for food and gas. And because our pay was a grand total of only $20 every 2 weeks, we were trying to save some of the money that the navy had given us for travel.

A few years ago, my wife and I took a trip along the part of Route 66 that has been preserved in Arizona. There is an American Indian who owns a one-man barber shop in a small town, called Seligman, along the road. He was born there about the time Route 66 was completed, and the only period he has ever been away from Seligman is when he went to barber school in Pasadena--so he has LOTS of stories to tell, and he is only too happy to have a visitor sit in his chair while he tells them. (Besides him, there are only a few dozen other people left in Seligman for him to talk to.)

He sells Route 66 memorabilia. My wife and I bought a poster of that famous B&W shot of Route 66 that was shot in Seligman by Andreas Feininger and published in Life magazine. The title says it was taken in 1953, however, the barber says that a small wooden building that can be seen in the photo burned down in 1947, therefore, 1947--the year I was born--is the latest possible year the photo could have been taken.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:04 pm

I think we, too, stopped in Seligman on a cross-country drive about 15 years ago! The movie "Cars" reminded me of it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby holotrope » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:10 pm

Steve -

Thanks for the fast reply, Steve, and for answering my question. With Amazon Prime delivery I should have your Guide to PSE & PE-7 in hand on Tuesday.

I will get in touch sometime when I'm in Milwaukee so we can do lunch and/or coffee.

Jim
holotrope
New User
New User

Postby DonP » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Steve..when will Amazon.ca have this book available?????
DonP

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:58 pm

I'm sure international sales is based on how successful domestic sales are, Don.

But meantime, as I've said, I'm glad to mail you off a copy myself if you get tired of waiting. Just write me at steve at muvipix.com and we'll work out a deal.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby DonP » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:24 am

I'll do that Steve..it sounds like a good book.
DonP

Postby holotrope » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:59 pm

UPS delivered a copy of Steve's new book to me today (The Muvipix dot com guide to PSE & PSE-7, which I ordered from Amazon) and I'm impressed. Physically, it's tightly bound and solid, attractive, and a good size, IMO. I find some software how-to books too large for my liking.

I'll write a review of the book to post at Amazon after I've spent some time with it, but for now I want to note that Steve's (hi Steve) writing is consistent with a quote I have taped above one of my computer monitors:

"Write with the assumption that your reader is a companionable friend with a warm sense of humor and an appreciation of simple straightforwardness. Write as if you were actually talking to that friend, but talking with enough leisure to frame your thoughts concisely and interestingly."

I don't recall the author of this quote at the moment but know I have the book somewhere! It's from a book on writing that I believe was published in the seventies. (Steve has posted the author's name in the post below this one; it's John Trimble, and the book is Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing, 1st edition published 1975.)

Some software how-to books are too dry, and some seem to be written by wannabe comics who aren't as funny as they seem to think they are, in which case their attempts at humor may come off as lame or puerile and detract from the quality of their books. IMO, Steve writes in a down-to-earth, human, friendly and at the same time thoroughly professional tone.

I look forward to digging into the book and using it first and foremost to help guide me through some areas of difficulty I've had with Premiere 7. Secondarily, I recently purchased a photo scanner so I can scan a great many family photos, some from as far back as the 1930's, and I will naturally want to use PSE7 to work with them and I'm sure Steve's book will help guide me during that project.

The book looks great, Steve, I'm glad I now own a copy!

- Jim
holotrope
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:10 pm

Thank you so much for honoring me with your John Trimble quote, Jim! I can't think of a greater compliment.

I so appreciate hearing that the books are helping people. Like this site, the books are a labor of love, with our goal of making video editing with programs like Premiere Elements accessible to all.

Have fun with the book, Jim! I hope it takes you far!

And thank you for continuing to support Muvipix.com!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:12 am

holotrope wrote:Some software how-to books are too dry, and some seem to be written by wannabe comics who aren't as funny as they seem to think they are

I also find that most software manuals seem to be written by folk who possibly wrote the original software. So they inadvertantly make assumptions about what the novice, trying to use the software, knows.

For example: when using widget 'x' be sure that 'y' has been set to the 'z' value - but they don't tell you where to find 'y', it is passively assumed that you know. :???:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby JohnnyO » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:49 am

Steve - I just ordered this book. I was going towait to see If I were going to purchase PRE and PSE 8. But I have decided to not upgrade.

I read some very nice reviews, and I was also impressed with the sample pages. It looks like a reeal big one. Almost as big as a Harry Potter book :)
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Well, the combined Photo/Premiere Elements 7 books clocks in at over 400 pages -- but the original version 7 book is pretty compact.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements