They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Donation Refunds for the Help Jennifer Fund

Any updates to our site, contest information or noteworthy announcements will be posted here.

Donation Refunds for the Help Jennifer Fund

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:11 pm

Hello Everyone :)

Well we collected $340 to help Jennifer, that is a wonderful thing and a great testiment to the people here at Muvipix =D>

I am all for using the money we raised for its intended purpose, to help Jennifer's family. Anyone that agrees doesn't have to do anything.
If you would like your donation refunded just send an email to ron AT muvipix DOT com and it will be taken care of, no problem at all.

Thanks to all the great people here at Muvipix, I salute you all \:D/
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Donation Refunds for the Help Jennifer Fund

Postby Rockdoc » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:21 pm

Hello Everyone,
I am very happy to say that my cameras were returned in wonderful condition! I greatly appreciate all the effort that everyone has made to support me, and the genuine goodwill that has come out of this is extraordinary. \:D/

Since I am back up and running with my own video recording now, I would like to suggest another use of the funds that were generously donated - a Muvipix Scholarship Fund. I know from experience that just a little help at the right time can make a big difference for someone. When I was a kid, my school matched funds with me so that I could go to Space Camp, and it was a huge influence in my decision to become a scientist. So perhaps these funds could go to some people who could use a little help but can't afford it (a Muvipix membership fee, for example, or another kind of worthy cause). Who knows, maybe we could launch the next Spielberg right here!

Chuck, Ron, and Steve would manage this fund, and will select the worthy causes that could use a donation. Of course, this is strictly voluntary - if you would rather your donation be returned to you, please just PM Ron and he will take care of it.

I sincerely thank everyone for their kind wishes and genuine support. It has meant a great deal to me.

:::muvipix:::

Jennifer
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby cdeemer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:55 am

A great idea.
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Wheat King » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:43 am

I like it! The Rocdoc award. The candidates must all be valuable members of a community and exhibit a spirit of volunteerism. :-D
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:33 am

That is a wonderful idea and seems to be what everyone would like to do as well.
There will be an official announcement of the fund, there will need to be nominations made before a candidate will be considered.
Monitary amounts of awards can vary, but can never exceed the fund balance. Things like that all need to be considered.
The Moderators will help in determining candidates and awarding prizes/scholarships :)

This sounds like a lot of fun and a great use of the money.

Still, if anyone would like a refund please email or PM Ron. Whatever is left will stay in the fund to be awarded in the future.

If anyone knows of a worthy candidate please send a PM to any of the Moderators :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Clayton » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:02 am

I like it! :-5
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:29 am

How about putting it towards a moderators pension fund, when they get too old and senile, and can no longer keep up with the young "guns", it would help pay to put them out to pasture. They could enjoy their retirement years chatting about the good old days back in 2008 when PE4 was available... "now that is what I call a video editor!!!" :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:05 am

Paul are you nominating yourself for the first one? I don't think you are quite ready to be put out to pasture yet ;)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 am

Paul LS wrote:How about putting it towards a moderators pension fund, when they get too old and senile, and can no longer keep up with the young "guns", it would help pay to put them out to pasture. They could enjoy their retirement years chatting about the good old days back in 2008 when PE4 was available... "now that is what I call a video editor!!!" :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

Hey - watch it - I am ALREADY too old and senile :cry:
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:19 am

Well I feel old... and my wife definately thinks I'm senile... :-D
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:40 pm

Felt a tad old this morning, tripped going up brick steps and lost some skin #-o Think it was lack of caffeine.

For the fund, maybe a high school that could use the funds towards video equipment or software. I am sure there are lots of HS Bands or A/V clubs (still call it that?) that could use any amount. With even the most moneyed school districts struggling, the low income districts are in a tighter pinch.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:47 pm

momoffduty wrote:Felt a tad old this morning, tripped going up brick steps and lost some skin #-o Think it was lack of caffeine.

For the fund, maybe a high school that could use the funds towards video equipment or software. I am sure there are lots of HS Bands or A/V clubs (still call it that?) that could use any amount. With even the most moneyed school districts struggling, the low income districts are in a tighter pinch.

The only problem with that would be choosing one, but anyone can nominate anybody or group and we will decide if it is a worthy cause and what amount to give out of the fund :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Cinde » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:04 pm

The ideas submitted thus far have been top notch. Maybe I’m about to “put my foot in my mouth” but… I’d like to throw something else out. I’d like to see the funds go toward offsetting muvipix.com operating expenses. It takes a lot of money to run this site, hosting fees, prizes for our many contests, etc.

Being a volunteer with an organization that is often asked for money, I can foresee problems with a scholarship fund. If we were talking about thousands of dollars (that is replenished as it dwindles), with qualifying guidelines, and could be distributed over an extended period of time it would be more feasible. (If I ever win a multi-million dollar lottery, I’d fund a Muvipix Scholarship Fund… but first, I’d have to start playing the lottery.)

One problem I could foresee: Many new members joining the forum only to make a nomination for the total amount (or a portion) of the scholarship. I can also see many of those new members becoming irate if their nominee is not selected, or awarded what they consider a token amount. Then they disappear and start saying bad things elsewhere. I’ve seen it happen.

Now that I have started “putting my foot in my mouth” I’m going to finish “putting it all the way in” by stating my position of needing some more qualifying guidelines for our contests. But that’s a new topic so I don’t hijack this thread any further.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 pm

I don't have a better idea, but I agree with Cinde to the extent that I'd like to see the money somehow stay within the Muvipix world. Those that contributed assumed it was going to help someone in 'our community.' Funding a scholarship takes it outside .. and requires more work for .. someone. I don't think that was the intention .. and the folks around here do enough of that already.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby cdeemer » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:54 am

I vote for a Muvipix Rainy Day fund, saving it for things that come up down the road.
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Announcements