They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help Us, Help Jennifer (Rockdoc)

Any updates to our site, contest information or noteworthy announcements will be posted here.

Re: Help Us, Help Jennifer (Rockdoc)

Postby Ted » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:40 pm

Or..dare I say it...

Theme from Rocky Horror Picture Show (including "The Time Warp" of course) :)

or anything from...

*cough*

The Rolling STONES.

*dodges tomatoes!* =;
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:51 pm

Now that this thread has gotten a little off topic :)

All donations, 100%, will go straight to Jennifer to help replace her stolen equipment.
We will accept donations for as long as it takes but lets get at least $1000 together, thats only about $1 per member.

Any amount you can afford will be appreciated and helpful I'm sure.

Muvipix will also be donating as a way of saying thank you for all you do Jennifer :)

Once we have all of the donations we will transfer the whole thing to Jennifer's PayPal account,
give what you can but please give something. [-o<

Totals so far:
15 donations totaling $195 USD

Keep them coming and keep up the great work Muvipix :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Maxine370 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:07 pm

Don't know what happened to my earlier post. Guess I din't hit submit again.

ANyway, Jen sorry to hear of your theft. That's really rotten. Hope you still know there are more good guys out there than bad. Our Muvipix community is proof of that.

Chuck, what an amazingly thoughtful thing to do and I am happy that I can help Jen to recoup some of her lost equipment.

Hope to hear you get it all back and are back shooting award winning footage again soon.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Don Whitten » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:41 am

Sorry to hear about your cameras getting stolen Jen. I would hate that. I went and got insurance on my items after reading the post. Made me start thinking how much I invested over time on my stuff.
Heartbreaking to hear how people will steal from others. But all good will come from it, no doubt.
Don

Asus Laptop F3jp T7200, 160 gig 7200 rpm HD, 2 gig ram, ATI X1700 graphics and various other stuff
Don Whitten
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ridon127 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:42 am

I am so very sorry Jennifer.. That is so frustrating to work so hard to get stuff and then some inconsiderate perosn violates you.. I t is an unnerverving feeling...I can relate somewhat to your experience... About a year ago a 21 yr. old crack addict broke into our house along with 6 other houses in our neighborhood. He disconnected my laptop and had gone thru my camera bag and laid it all out in my recliner, sorted thru what jewelry I own and all the cabinets in the house...He didn't take any fo my stuff except the girls medication.. I was so blessed....I did contact the insurance company and found out real quick it would have only covered a small portion as jewelry, cameras, computers, etc are not fully covered. I was told I need to get another policy for that.. I haven't done it yet but I did install a security system....The funny thing about this is he was caught with several inexpensive point and shoot cameras but nothing of real value.. The police were shocked he didn't take my Nikon and laptop.. I am alot more aware about how dishonest some people are.... I still don't sleep good at night when my husband is working..

Like Maxine said, there are a lot of great and honest people out there like the group here..
Donna
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:46 am

Thank you all so much for your generosity :)

Current totals:
Donations = 17
Total Amount as of 10:30 Eastern Time Saturday July 26th = $270.00 USD

A New HV20 costs about $900, refurbished is about $600 (at Amazon) and used is about the same.
An HV30 new at NewEgg (and Amazon) today is $780.

We are almost half way to the refurbished price of the HV20 but still have a little way to go, and still have a digital SLR that needs to be replaced as well.

Keep up the good work everyone, every dollar helps and no amount is too small :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:23 am

Beth - Absolutely there are more good people out there than bad. Muvipix is a great example of that. Just the postings here have made be feel so much better about the whole thing. :)

Don - I am glad that my post helped you decide to do that. Hopefully you will never need to make a claim. See - something good came out of it already! :-D

Donna - Oh my gosh, that must have been so SCARY!! :-8 I really hope that you were not in the house at the time (I have a friend whose house was broken into while they were sleeping upstairs). I am amazed they didn't take your Nikon and laptop too - easily pawnable stuff (which is probably what happened to my cameras). We have a security system on the house too, and I still hate it when my husband is gone, especially now that there are kids in the house. Our shed in the other house was broken into while my husband was deployed. I think they were going after the tools, but somehow got interrupted - they left everything open, and some stuff pulled out of place, but we couldn't find anything missing. I didn't sleep well for a while after that either.

Fortunately, they didn't break into my house to steal my bag - I think people are often more desperate when they do that, like your crack addict, and bad things can happen so easily. I am immensely relieved that no one was hurt, and only replaceable stuff was stolen. I don't like the way it made me feel, but there could have been far worse things than that.

I thought I would tell one more story, as I think this group can really appreciate it - I was moving from Texas to Florida before my wedding, and my husband (then fiance) and I were packing up my stuff. I had picked up my wedding dress from the seamstress that morning, and hung it behind the passenger seat in the moving van. We loaded up all my stuff, but it was evening before we finished, and with a 10 hour drive ahead of us, locked everything up and spent the night at a friend's house (she had beds).

When we came back in the morning, the dress was gone. Nothing else (it was all padlocked in the back of the truck), but no wedding dress. The police kept asking me if I was SURE I had locked the cab of the truck, and I kept saying "It was my WEDDING DRESS, of course I locked it". I had locked it because it was important to me, not because I thought there was a market for already-altered wedding gowns. :-8 Anyway, about 3 weeks later, the police called and THEY HAD FOUND IT!! Pulled a guy over for a traffic violation, he was acting hinky, so they searched his car. Came up with stolen laptops, textbooks, and my dress. Why he stole my dress and then kept it for 3 weeks, I can't explain. But the cost of my dress with the other stuff bumped it up to felony level, and he went to jail. I wore the stolen dress at my wedding. It had history then, I just had to!
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:59 pm

Sorry Jennifer to hear about your stolen equipment. And the wedding dress story, Wow! That is one to tell the future grandkids!

Donna, sure would feel strange to know that someone had gone thru your things. Wonder if he was scared off and didn't have time to take the cameras.

Just this week added my daughter's laptop to our articles insurance policy. Have the lojack on her computer and will also get a steel cable with lock that she can attach to her desk at school. Hopefully we have all the bases covered. Sad day when thefts are common in residence halls.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:12 pm

Trying to keep this topic up toward the top so no one misses a chance to donate :)

17 donations so far out of over 900 members :(

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:58 pm

After two days of our fundraiser we have 18 dontations totaling $280 USD :)
Keep up the great work Muvipix =D>

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

The evolution of theft

Postby cdeemer » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:24 pm

Re changing times ... I can remember when typically in small western towns, you didn't lock your door and you left the keys in your car.

A half century ago, a buddy of mine got a bank loan for college in a small town in Idaho. A banker went to school with his mother, it was a done deal. I went with him as he picked up the check. As we came out and reached his car with the check, the banker came running out and handed him something: "Dick, please fill out this application so we have it for our records."

I can remember when I lost my wallet. Three days later it was returned by someone who found it. The money, about $50, was still in the billfold. (This was before you carried credit cards, but they would have been there, too.)

We call it progress, don't we?
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ted » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:35 pm

Just BTT
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:53 pm

Charles, That is so true, and some great stories.
My mother saved a letter that was sent to me by the local newspaper when I was about 12.
I found a bag of money that a paperboy had dropped and returned it to the newspaper office.
They were very kind, gave me a small reward, and sent a wonderful letter.
That's just the way we did things then. I know there are still many good people, lots of them are right here :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:55 pm

Ok Ted, I've looked but can't find anything that really seems to fit.
What does BTT stand for? (showing his old age and lack of texting knowledge :oops: )

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cdeemer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:43 am

I don't know what BTT stands for either!
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements