They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Tutorial Suggestions Requested

Any updates to our site, contest information or noteworthy announcements will be posted here.

Re: Tutorial Suggestions Requested

Postby Briantho » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:35 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Hi Brian,
Most of that is Adobe Flash and I am not very good with that program yet.
There are probably tons of tutorials for creating Flash Banners all over the internet :)

I'm sure there are but you guys do it so well!! :-D

This is a background project from my point of view and so I'll try a few things and see what happens. As a tutorial I'm now thinking that maybe it's a bit too specific so I'll just come back with specific questions as they occur to me.

One thing though, could you just confirm please, Chuck or anyone else, that eventually I should be able to produce a little Flash banner movie using the Premiere/Photoshop combination - or have I totally misunderstood things?

Thanks!
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:25 pm

I would suggest organizing the tutorials into beginner, intermediate, and advanced. There appear to be interests in all areas of the spectrum and maybe it would make it easier for Muvipixers to identify their need. Beginners would not feel so overwhelmed and advanced could concentrate on advanced aspects.

Hey I think I just coined a new phrase: Muvipixers.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:27 pm

You can import many video formats into Flash, so yes, you are on the right track.
At least what you are doing is one way to achieve a flash video banner.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:03 pm

Would like to see a tutorial on L & J cuts, dissolves, etc. This was mentioned on a recent thread and have been wondering about this for awhile.

Finished a graduation video so too late now, but here are some examples:

The procession was about 15+min. long. In the video, edited down to about 5 min. of clips of daughter & some of her friends. Between each of the clips used a clock wipe and this showed the lapse of time and since it was hand held could clearly see that is was different clips.

During the handing out of diplomas there was a long pause waiting for the next group to exit and line up behind the staging area. During this time I turned the camera off to save tape plus would have edited those parts out to keep the DVD at 1 hour or less. The camera was on a tripod at this point. When editing it looked strange between the clips without a transition and ended up using a cross dissolve. Since the camera was on a tripod, there was not a clear definition using the dissolve but it looked better than nothing.

From what I understand a cross dissolve signifies a lapse of time. Would like the tutorial to give examples and some rules of thumb on the edits of L & J cuts. Are these called 'jump cuts'?

Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:21 pm

A jump cut is an erratic or sudden cut between two shots -- like a shot of you reaching for a doorknob suddenly cutting to a shot of you out the door.

L and J cuts, on the other hand, are terrific tools for telling a story. An L cut is essentially the opposite of a J cut.

Imagine video of a news reporter standing in front of a burned out building, talking about a fire. As he continues talking, we cut away to old footage of the fire. That's an L cut. (The reason it's called an L cut is because in more primitive days of single-track editing, going from video and audio to audio only with different video, sort of looked like an L.)

A J cut is the opposite. We start with the "B roll" footage and the reporters voice and then cut back to the reporter speaking live to the camera.

Sometimes L cuts and J cuts are used to mask some cutting, which is sort of what you want to do. So if, in between your video part 1 and your video part 2, you tossed in footage of the crowd watching the presentation, no one would notice that you left out half an hour between shots.

Make sense?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:28 pm

Great idea for a tutorial Cheryl, until then there are some really great examples of L and J cuts in the Premiere Elements 2 In A Snap book :)
Page 143 - 145, it has more to do with the audio than anything else.

In an L cut the audio continues while the scene changes, so you may see and hear someone talking but the scene changes to show the person that is listening, while you still here the same person talking.

In a J cut you might see someone walking in a park and the audio is of a dog barking, the scene then switches to the dog and the audio continues.

The graduation video is much like a wedding, and the best thing you can do is let the camera roll through the whole thing.
It is much easier to edit that way and you are sure that the camera does not change positions during the switching on and off.
It is a little more on the editing side but well worth the effort.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:12 pm

As usual thanks for all of the info. Have made the L & J cuts and didn't know it :) On Teddy's gift, when I am talking to the dog, I switched the video to another clip's video but kept the first video's audio.

As for the graduation video...camera is on tripod facing the stage and turn camera off for 3 to 4 min. Even if I edited the dead time out would have the same problem. Last frame of clip A is the same as first frame of clip B only with different people crossing the stage. So by adding any transition the two frames are almost identical and no clear definition. Thought about adding a dip to black but that didn't look good. Maybe should have zoomed in on the last few frames of Clip A and then the dissolve would then clearly show a lapse of time to clip B. Make sense?

Will pull out the snap book. Read it way too many times & surprised I don't remember the L & J cut section.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Previous

Return to Announcements