They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

A note to Adobe beta software testers

Any updates to our site, contest information or noteworthy announcements will be posted here.

A note to Adobe beta software testers

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:49 am

Adobe wants to remind any beta testers of Premiere Elements or Photoshop Elements that, despite the release of the software, they remain under the non-disclosure agreement. Part of that NDA includes your not revealing that you are or were part of the beta testing team.

You also may not discuss bugs, features or other discussions revealed during beta testing.

I urge you all to cooperate with this agreement and limit discussions of the software to experience with the release version only.

Thanks, all. Although this forum is a free marketplace of ideas, we do feel it is important to respect our legal agreements and the business and personal relationships they represent.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: A note to Adobe beta software testers

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:16 am

Thanks.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:22 am

Steve, Do you think I should go back to my posts and delete those comments.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:27 am

I think you will be ok RJ, and now you have the final release version so you can report anything you want on that :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gooder » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:00 pm

Adobe, I'm scared =;
I think everyone should bloody well stand up!

Looks like Adobe has something to worry about if they are using that kind of tactic. Well I am not a beta tester and I say "Adobe fix your software or your customers could go and purchase other software".

Now what if I get my hands on some beta software, and I am not a beter tester. If I had the time and energy I would but this really makes me laugh :lol:

Later, much later...

Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:29 pm

Don't worry, Gooder. Adobe hasn't been using any strong-arm tactics on us. But, in all fairness, some of us have been kind of pushing it, as far as non-disclosure goes. And it's not about Adobe being embarrassed. It's just good business practice to keep works-in-progress under wraps until it's done.

We're all very much free to criticize the software both here and on the Adobe forum. Nobody is going to censor you for that.

But, in fairness, beta testers are taken into a certain confidence when they're allowed access to the program while it's still in development, and it's simply not ethical to betray that trust. I can respect that.

But once the program hits the market -- well, at that point speak freely and boldy.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gooder » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:40 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:But, in fairness, beta testers are taken into a certain confidence when they're allowed access to the program while it's still in development, and it's simply not ethical to betray that trust. I can respect that.

But once the program hits the market -- well, at that point speak freely and boldy.

Very nicely said, Steve! :-D

Yes, of course one must respect the rules. I really do agree with that and it is nice to see that we are speaking our minds like I always do. I'm sure that part has been noticed!

I like to get by teeth in to something and when I do, I do not let go! :mad:

Cheers,
Lee :-D
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Gerry » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:52 pm

But it sort of does beg the question, "Why have beta testers if you're not going to listen to them?"

I think Adobe's done a magnificent job with all of its products. But it's just such a shame that they have to be caught on the "upgrade treadmill" with everyone else. You'd think that, if they released a really rock-solid version of video editing software for consumers, that word of it would spread. And rather than having to rely on dollars from upgrades, they could rely on dollars from converts from those other, unstable programs.

Hmmm... what color is the sky in my world?
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:58 pm

Gerry, I think it is the pink clouds in your sky that are causing confusion.

Oh no! Wait. Those aren't pink clouds. They're flying pigs! :lol:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:05 pm

Well (in fairness again) it depends on how you define the role of a beta tester.

If your job is merely to test drive the car on a variety of road conditions, General Motors isn't expecting you to tell them you don't like where the wipers are located.

By the time software gets to the beta phase, it's functionality has already been locked down. Beta testing is just a chance for a wide variety of people, in a real world environment, to try it and see if there are any unforeseen problems.

Software, though, is a strange beast, (less so on Macs, which are produced, hardware and operating system, by the same company) PCs offer an endless variety of configurations. You're never going to get it to work perfectly on everyone's machine all the time.

But, as you software people on this forum know, even if you can't get every little bug out of it, you do have a certain responsibility to make sure the final release of the software you're releasing doesn't actually damage your customer's machines or files. And that's where I've got a problem with version 4, if the reports from those who've bought it are correct.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:07 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Well (in fairness again) it depends on how you define the role of a beta tester.

If your job is merely to test drive the car on a variety of road conditions, General Motors isn't expecting you to tell them you don't like where the wipers are located.

Oh, I agree. But in this case the Beta Testers aren't saying, "Gosh, I don't like where you put the 'Preferences' button." They're saying to General Motors, "Gosh, whenever I take the key out of the ignition I can't start the car ever again." Big difference.

If indeed the "functionality" of the software has been proven by beta test stage, then alpha test must not have been very comprehensive or thorough, because this is a basic functionality problem.
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:18 am

Adobe wants to remind any beta testers of Premiere Elements or Photoshop Elements that, despite the release of the software, they remain under the non-disclosure agreement. Part of that NDA includes your not revealing that you are or were part of the beta testing team.
What?! #-o You can't EVER reveal that you WERE a beta tester? :-#
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:04 am

Ken Jarstad wrote:What?! #-o You can't EVER reveal that you WERE a beta tester? :-#

Terms of the non-disclosure agreement vary by company, but Adobe's is fairly typical. Terms may vary greatly. I've encountered some from other software companies that are far more restrictive.

Now that I'm retired, it's been a while since I beta tested any Adobe products, but, if memory serves me right, on those we were allowed, after the product was released, to mention that we were beta testers. But, we were not allowed to discuss problems or performance tests regarding the beta software. That's generally reasonable as the release product will typically have undergone optimization and refinement subsequent to the last beta release -- the shipping product is generally not identical to the last beta release. Since my memory isn't what it used to be, I'll play safe and not mention the specific products I've tested. :-$
Bob

Postby Ken Jarstad » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:29 pm

Sounds like some of the EULAs I've seen. If you break the seal on the software package it is not returnable.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby larryjd1 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:45 pm

With the EULA being on the inside of the package they just broke the seal to open... :-D
larryjd1
New User
New User

Next

Return to Announcements