They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

I sold this to the local news, and it's gone viral

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

I sold this to the local news, and it's gone viral

Postby StuOS » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:36 am

Hello everyone,

I'm afraid I don't get back here very often because, mercifully, I have been busy. I still drop by every now and again, though, to see some of the outstanding work on here.

I thought some of you might be interested in this. I shot it between 8:00 and 8:30 or so in the evening from the NW side of Flagstaff Mountain in Boulder, Colorado. As you'll see, it's a time lapse. As I write this, it's getting about 1100 hits per hour on YouTube, but that will tail off shortly as the Boulder fire leaves the news. It has been an interesting viral ride, though, and one I doubt will ever be repeated. It's number one if you type in "boulder" on Facebook, and it was on the first page of google yesterday. Don't know if it still is.

CNN wanted to air it, but for free. I respectfully declined. I find it quite annoying that a multi-billion-dollar company wants people to shoot with tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, on their own time, then give them the product for free.

For those of you into technical details, this was shot on a Sony XDCAM PMW-EX3 with 9db of gain, pretty much wide open (approx. 1.9-2.0 fstop), at 5600k white balance, and an extended shutter of 32 frames. I went ahead and shot it straight instead of in interval/time lapse mode, then removed frames in post to get the time lapse effect. It's horrific, yes, but strangely beautiful as well, I think.

Hope you enjoy it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfXIqbfehxs[/youtube]
StuOS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: I sold this to the local news, and it's gone viral

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:39 am

That's amazing footage, Stu. Too good to just give away!

The time lapse makes it look almost like a volcano!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:16 pm

Awesome Stu. Are the little tiny spots of light artificial light (homes?), or are these part of the fire?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby StuOS » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:38 pm

The tiny spots are fires. The moving lights in the foreground, against the black, are emergency vehicles on the winding, mountain roads.
StuOS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Some really incredible footage... as you say horrific in one respect but also quite beautiful.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Very cool Stu, amazing footage. Congrats on all the publicity :)

There are so many people out there now with cell phone video and small video cameras that are willing to give stuff away to the networks and tv stations. Some of the quality I've seen on tv lately is terrible, don't know why they would even broadcast that stuff.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:33 pm

Amazing video! Saw some of the coverage on last night's news. Very sad. We lived in Denver a few years and spent many a day in Boulder & driving up the canyons.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Terrible situation .. but great footage!!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby StuOS » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:There are so many people out there now with cell phone video and small video cameras that are willing to give stuff away to the networks and tv stations. Some of the quality I've seen on tv lately is terrible, don't know why they would even broadcast that stuff.

Well, I can see it if it's a news event and no other footage is available. For instance, the Rodney King beating is terrible video, but it's like the MacGruder tape -- there's only one, and it's the important one.

Maybe it's budget cutbacks. Fewer people of your own means relying on stuff others will give you for free.
StuOS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby tiny » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Wow. Very nice indeed. Good job on not taking the first offer, especially since it was zero. :lol:
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ed » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:05 pm

I saw this video. Congrats!
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Showcase