They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

My son did it again!

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

My son did it again!

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:14 pm

My son is in Iceland again and, though I didn't get to go this time, it got me reminiscing about our trip nearly THREE YEARS AGO. Wow, time flies! I never posted a link to the finished video...

With the hot weather we've had this summer, Iceland's waterfalls, glaciers and gale-force winds make me feel cooler - I hope they help you, too!

videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: My son did it again!

Postby Peru » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:22 pm

I liked the music.
That rainbow at the end was spectacular. :tup:
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:45 pm

:TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Another beautiful piece, Sherrin!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:59 pm

Gorgeous! And the music fit perfectly. ::CLAP:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:28 pm

Wonderful Sherrin!! Loved all of the waterfall video. Liked the keyframing at the beginning too. I remember you saying the gale force winds, but the video is stable for the circumstance. :TU: :TU:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:11 pm

Thanks for the nice compliments - I appreciate them!

Peru wrote:I liked the music.

Dave McElderry wrote:Gorgeous! And the music fit perfectly. ::CLAP:

The music is "Long Road Ahead" from Kevin Macleod at incompetech.com...not sure how i first learned of that site (I'm betting it was from someone at muvipix), but I can always find great stuff there. Funny thing is...my sister went to New Zealand last year and she was trying to put her video together. She told me she had some suitable music for the misty, moody section...yep...same piece!! haha - clearly we sisters think alike, right?

Peru wrote:...That rainbow at the end was spectacular. :tup:

My son actually has a still with TWO rainbows at Skogafoss...i guess i was standing at the wrong angle and only saw one. This beautiful 200' waterfall was used in "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" that was in theaters shortly after we came back. I saw it in the trailer and got teary...LOVE those waterfalls...couldn't wait to see MY Iceland on the big screen. I went to the theater and when Skogafoss appeared the storyline made it out to be in Afghanistan (guess they had to make do with footage from Iceland, since no one is going to film in Afghanistan!!).

momoffduty wrote:Loved all of the waterfall video.

The very windy waterfall at the beginning is Seljalandsfoss...you can actually walk behind it - didn't even attempt it when I was there - wayyyyy too much water flying around. At times, when the winds settle a little, you can see it is really only a few ribbons of water that create the falls (at least at the time of year I went). Chris sent me a cellphone photo of it this time around and the wind was very calm...it looked so puny...the wind really makes this a GREAT waterfall.

momoffduty wrote:Liked the keyframing at the beginning too.

Cheryl, funny you mention the keyframing...my original of this did not include that opening with the waterfall and the blowing words. Before I posted the link, i swapped out the version that's been on vimeo for the last few years with this version (which i created a few months after the original because it seemed to convey the whole "windy-ness" of the trip). Glad you liked that!

momoffduty wrote:I remember you saying the gale force winds, but the video is stable for the circumstance.

I only included the steadier shots. ;) At one point I remember standing near a metal railing as I shot. A sudden gust (GUST) of wind shoved me right against the railing. On another occasion, i was leaning into the car to get something from my camera bag when the wind closed the door against me. I could see my son, some distance away, looking at me, wondering why i wasn't coming. I had to wait for the wind to shift until i could push the door away and get going. I remember it was at that point that the swirling wind sucked the fleece cap I was wearing from my head. Never saw where it went...just gone! By the time I got home, I had several bruises and no fleece cap but some of the most spectacular memories ever!!!

Muvipix meetup in Iceland perhaps?????
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:22 am

I've been looking for an excuse to go to Iceland!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:12 am

I really enjoyed that video. Watching the ocean always reminds me how immense the world is. I try to imagine what it must have felt like for the early explorers who discovered some of these places must have felt. Where we are looking out to the sea...They must have been thankful to see dry land.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:54 am

Whenever I see Iceland on TV, I think of your gale force adventure :-D There are things that do not translate in video like how cold, cold it is when shooting the footage. Or your case how windy. Just like my Mexico videos do not translate how hot, hot, hot!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby videovillageidiot » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:03 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I've been looking for an excuse to go to Iceland!

And, Steve, Icelandair flies from Chicago...2 free bags...and you can even do a roundtrip to Europe and, at no additional airfare, include a multi day stopover in Iceland.

So, seriously, there is NOOOOOOO REASON not to do it!

Cheryl would have a great time too - Shooting feet on glaciers, feet on black sand beaches and feet standing in Europe and North America at the same time!!!!!

Let's get this planned! :-D

sidd finch wrote:I really enjoyed that video. Watching the ocean always reminds me how immense the world is. I try to imagine what it must have felt like for the early explorers who discovered some of these places must have felt. Where we are looking out to the sea...They must have been thankful to see dry land.

Sidd

You're right Sidd...after months at sea - wow!!! Land!!! Of course, in some parts of Iceland, seeing the land and getting there safely are 2 different things. My son drove us to the spot where a ship broke into 3 pieces in 1988 and its rusted remnants can still be seen on the rocky breakwater.

momoffduty wrote:Whenever I see Iceland on TV, I think of your gale force adventure :-D There are things that do not translate in video like how cold, cold it is when shooting the footage. Or your case how windy. Just like my Mexico videos do not translate how hot, hot, hot!

That's funny - 'cuz that is pretty much the one thought I do have when I see anything from Mexico - hot, hot, hot - in summer it's easy to "feel" it. In winter, footage from hot places just makes me colder, because I see people in shorts and no jacket and i start to imagine being dressed like that in winter....brrrrrr. Of course watching winter stuff in summer makes me feel hot 'cuz I think how uncomfortable to be dressed in a down jacket in steamy summer weather! haha

I debated about toning down the sound of the wind, but since it was SUCH a part of the experience I pretty much let it howl!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Showcase