They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Mexico Silces 5 - Tulum & Akumal

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Mexico Silces 5 - Tulum & Akumal

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:04 am

The latest adventure in Mexico. The Mayan archaeological site in Tulum sits on the coast. The site is surrounded by 10 to 12 foot deep walls on 3 sides. The Eastern side has a natural barrier of cliffs. There is a beach area entry, but is closed now to protect the turtles. Stairs were built on the cliff to access the beach. We visited Tulum over a dozen years ago and the first time I entered the site it took my breath away. Standing and walking the paths that an ancient civilization walked just numbs the mind and we are just a speck in time. We arrived when it opened at 8:00 am and it was hot, hot hot by in short time. The big buses started to arrive around 10:00 am. This was our second trip with our private guide. His rates are comparable to the big bus tours. I like touring on our own schedule and beating the crowds.

Akumal bay is beautiful and you can swim with the turtles in their natural habitat. You are not allowed to stand on the grassy feeding area or disrupt the sand or coral. A life jacket or floaty to snorkel is required. There is a lifeguard standing on a paddle board. Akumal bay appears to be slightly smaller than Half Moon bay that is just North a bit.

aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Mexico Silces 5 - Tulum & Akumal

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:18 am

You're killing me, Cheryl!

I'm way overdue for an exotic vacation, and your videos are making me long for sandy beaches, craggy hills and balmy breezes.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:57 am

All I can say is WOW that was great. I think one of your finest pieces yet. I echo Steve's comments. It makes me want to go to Mexico. Everything looked great. I especially enjoy watching video of old things when it looks deserted and no tourists are in the shot. I am hoping that there are more videos to this adventure.

I liked the speed up of Mr Mom walking It was a nice touch. and the smile and peace sign was a home run... :)

I am always looking forward to your travel adventures because they always inspire me to go out and get recording... AWESOME

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:57 am

Steve, go have an adventure! Use that speck of time :)

Sidd, I love the time-remapping in PrPro. I tried to get shots of no tourists. The time-lapse was all set up and no one around. It took me about 15 minutes to adjust the settings (manual & raw) and no one around except the beach. Just as I press record, a few people arrived. I explained my time-lapse, but no English. German maybe? The place was pretty packed when we left the site.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:17 pm

That was really well done. Were all of the shots (except for the time lapses) hand held or did you use a monopod or tripod?
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:37 pm

That was wonderful.

Did you see that huge lizard? I think the land of the lost dinosaurs must be somewhere near.

You should do the destination getaway ads for Wheel of Fortune. That puts theirs to shame.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks Bob (Peru) and RJ! I'll have to check out Wheel of Fortune.

All shots handheld. I used the Joby Gorilla pod for the time-lapses. I did stabilize a few shots with the Warp Stabilizer, no motion. A few shots were slowed to 80%, which gives a more stable look. The walking thru the wall shots, I walked very slowly and the warp stabilizer smooth motion helped.

For panning I planted my feel where I wanted to end up and then twisted at the waist for the start of the shot. The first inside pan shot adjusted the speed with time-remapping. I was a little too fast at the beginning and tried to match up the speed through out the pan. Played with it quite awhile and still not too happy. I think it was Steve or maybe Chuck that said however slow you think you are going go slower.

The little Sony RX100iv is lighter than a DSLR yet it does have some weight to it. It is heavier than a point and shoot. The weight is just right for me and the grip is good too. I have a case on it and use the strap as a tripod. The case flips 2 ways. I unsnap the front and let it dangle behind. I have the strap cross body and pulled out in front taunt and my feet are about foot apart. It helps to hold your breath.

The case:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... e_for.html
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:43 pm

That was really fun! Some of it was gorgeous and some of it was mysterious. I understand what you mean about walking those paths. As always, your editing made the difference between a good vid and a great one. Thanks for sharing. :TU:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:11 am

I wonder if that Russian website just got some new material to post... :conf:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks Dave, gorgeous and mysterious was my aim. It truly is an awe inspiring place especially before the throng of people arrive big buses. :-D

sidd finch wrote:I wonder if that Russian website just got some new material to post... :conf:

Sidd

:hyst: I'll have to keep an eye out! Hey, you didn't notice the absence of feet unless you count the turtles. :cool:
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:32 am

You are right...no feet. something is up then...

I had a hunch that there was trouble in paradise, but I did not want to say anything. I knew because I did not see Mr. Dad's face until 1:27 into the movie. At that point I knew he was going to have contract renewal issues. Especially when I saw that the pesky tourist was in the shot at 1:18. For some reason the studio must have been showing his backside as a metaphor to stop trying to second guess Mom on shot selection. The studios are tough but you cannot fault them as they just want to put out quality movies for knuckleheads like me to enjoy and read silly things into that do not exist in reality.

I am hoping that some extra lawn mowing, maybe planting some new flowers around the house and a nice romantic dinner might help smooth things over. Come on Mr. Dad we are rooting for you.
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Just a quick FYI. Tulum & Akumal are near the Chicxulub impact crater -- just across the peninsula. This is the asteroid strike associated with the Cretaceous–Paleogene boundary mass extinction event that occurred around 66 million years ago. The crater is huge (180 to 300 km) but is buried so you can't see it. It's surrounded by a ring of Cenotes which occurred when water dissolved the fractured limestone around the impact wall.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Sidd, your creative writing is getting away from you :) Mr. Dad does like to be in the shots and I have to specifically tell him not to walk in frame. He was super excited to use the GoPro snorkeling. The guide he was with had one too and helped get some shots.

Bob, thanks for the link. I had no idea that the impact was on the tip of the Yucatan. That looks to be Merida. There are lots of expats in Merida. We did think about visiting sometime, but it is not on the coast. I saw a TV show recently on the limestone in Florida causing the sinkholes. The Yucatan must be the same way only they call them cenotes. I did discuss this with our guide. The owner Rod is very eco conscience and we get a bit of education on the tours. I'll have to ask him about the impact up north.

This is a recent article on a possible new Mayan site. It was discovered by a 15 year old using the stars and lining things up. There was a vast "highway" system with the Mayans all through the Yucatan.
http://www.sciencealert.com/a-15-year-o ... al-america
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:32 am

MOM, were you able to see the paintings located in some buildings in Tulum? When we visited there 40 years ago those paintings were still quite vivid but I suspect they may have faded by now.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:07 pm

We did not see any paintings. You are not allowed in the buildings and have to stay behind the ropes which are about 10 or more feet from the buildings. It was that way 10 years ago when we first toured. Maybe 40 years ago you were allowed?

You are no longer allowed to climb the pyramid in Chichen Itza. I think that was stopped a few years ago due to wear and tear from the tourists. The only one that you can climb is at Coba, but that is rumored to stop at the end of this year.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Next

Return to Showcase