They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

"Birdie, Birdie"

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

"Birdie, Birdie"

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:51 pm

Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: "Birdie, Birdie"

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:23 am

Truly one of the sounds of spring, Paz! Great footage!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:36 am

Paz that was really nice. I agree with Steve, one of my most favorite sounds is birds in the springtime. Even though we are in the city there are lots and lots of birds that have early morning conversations around our neighborhood. It always reminds me that Spring is here.

I am guessing you used your G4 to record this bird? The color and DOF are really nice. Well done.

Sometime ago I had heard (I think on NPR) that urban birds actually sing at a higher frequency to be heard through the urban wall of sound.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:43 am

Getting those kinds of vids is tougher than it might seem. I really enjoyed this Paz. The colors are very natural looking, not over-saturated. The early morning birdsong began 3 days ago here. Spring is coming for sure! :TU:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:03 am

Thanks for the compliments, guys. :-D

G4 to record this bird? The color and DOF are really nice

DOF: Would you believe f/16? Birdie is about 60 feet away.

GH4, Canon 100-400 @400 = 800 x 1.4 Kenko = 1120. Don't breathe!

Getting those kinds of vids is tougher than it might seem. I really enjoyed this Paz. The colors are very natural looking, not over-saturated. The early morning birdsong began 3 days ago here. Spring is coming for sure! :TU:

I'm glad you enjoyed this little slice of spring, Dave. Good to hear the colors and presentation look natural. I've decided I want to slow down his motion as he turns around the last time. I tried capturing a freeze frame and inserting it but that didn't look natural. I don't know why I didn't think 'slo mo' the first time!

We have many plants in bloom and I don't seem to have enough time to get out to catch them before they fade. I have gotten some nice daffs, Carolina Jessamine, camellias, saucer magnolias and peach blossoms. Today we have rain. Tomorrow we're going on an Audubon field trip if we don't get rained out.

Oh, I "thought" I had some great footage of this little guy - he had picked up a sunflower seed from the feeder and he took it up to a Y branch in this tree. He perched with one foot on each side of the Y and with the seed in his beak, hit it repeatedly against the junction of the limbs until he got it open. I was thrilled!!!! Until I realized it was just another of my many times when I think the GH4 is recording but it isn't.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:29 am

Until I realized it was just another of my many times when I think the GH4 is recording but it isn't.

Is that not the curse or what... :) And yet I can have endless amounts of footage when I thought the camera was off but it was on, and there is absolutely long periods of just talking and footage of the camera swing about...

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:35 am

Oh yeah, I think we've had this conversation before! The Canons have a red record light and green when stopped. Never made any sense to me. :pull:
Or is it the other way around? :ha:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:42 am

sidd finch wrote:
Until I realized it was just another of my many times when I think the GH4 is recording but it isn't.

Is that not the curse or what... :) And yet I can have endless amounts of footage when I thought the camera was off but it was on, and there is absolutely long periods of just talking and footage of the camera swing about...

Sidd

That happens too often for me. If outside in bright sun it is hard to see the record icon on the back screen.

Wow, f16? Would never had guessed. Very steady video. Did you use a microphone? Nice clear chirps.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Yep.

Oh yeah, I think we've had this conversation before!

Yep.

The Canons have a red record light and green when stopped. Never made any sense to me. :pull:
Or is it the other way around? :ha:

The GH4 has a little red dot on the view screen - that does NOT transfer via HDMI to my larger screen - The little red dot blinks for a while. Sometimes a few seconds. Sometimes a few minutes. And then it goes away.

So you cannot look at the screen and KNOW that you are recording. I've searched the internet. Read the short manual. Read the long manual where there was a hint that this was planned on purpose to prevent burn in on the screen...

And I called Panasonic to be absolutely certain that I have not missed some way to keep the blinking red light turned on.

They said the camera was not intended to be a video camera. It is a still camera that happens to be able to take video.

They do not see this as a fault or any kind of problem.

I suggested the nice lady could pass along the idea that the GREEN light on top of the camera that is always pulling battery current when the camera is ON could perhaps be set to blink - blink - blink when recording is happening. That way there would be no possibility of it burning in on the viewscreen and their customers would always be able to tell if the camera was recording or not.

Silence.

Panasonic does not see this as a problem.

Nor do they apparently, see it as a problem that sometimes you push the RECORD button and it begins to record. Sometimes you just have to press it twice.

ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH! ](*,)
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:05 pm

Wow, f16? Would never had guessed. Very steady video. Did you use a microphone? Nice clear chirps.

At such a high magnification it seems to work like being in macro mode. I have to be at at least f/11 to be able to get feathers in focus on the same bird.

Tripod, no mic. I was videoing on one side of a french door, our oscillating fan was on the other side of the door. I ran the audio through Audacity three times. The first time I selected roaring noise. That got out most of the fan. Still bad, I selected an airplane and ran noise removal again. Still bad, I selected the gurgling noise of the fish tank. That's where it is now. Unfortunately other birds' voices were deleted except for one slight finch song that got through. The GH4 does a better job of recording audio than other videoing cameras I have used.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Showcase