They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

? Green stripe ? Waterlilies

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

? Green stripe ? Waterlilies

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:31 am

I noticed the green (sometimes blue) horizontal stripe going across the background in the title segment while editing but thought it would not be in the finished video. Anyone know why it is there? And more importantly, how I can get rid of it?

thanks,

Paz

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgZsRBoQ4gg[/youtube]
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: ? Green stripe ? Waterlilies

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:35 am

I've just watched this again and the YouTube version has 'jumps' in the footage while it was a much smoother flow in PreProCS 6.

Can I fix that?
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:39 am

Paz is this happening in the project itself or just the uploaded YouTube version?

If it is just the YouTube version it might be related to the file type that you created. Do you know if the file parameters are the ones that YouTube recommends?

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Sidd,

The green stripe is in the Premiere Pro CS6 (where I probably should have posted this) preview too.

The preview play is pretty smooth. It is only jerky via the YouTube version.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Paz from what I can see posted the green strip seems to coincide with the title. It seems to disappear when the title fades out. Could there be something on the title slide that is causing this? Did you create the title in Premiere? Not sure if you could change this with the title opacity setting.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:16 am

I agree with Sidd. That does appear to be an artifact associated with the title. How did you make the title?

The youtube playback is smooth for me.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:17 am

Played back smooth for me at the full 1080p. The green stripe appears to be connected to the title file.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:36 am

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I hope you enjoyed it.

It played back smoothly at 1080p early this morning. Perhaps my cable company was overloaded when I last tried to view it.

The entire project was done in Premiere Pro CS6.

Oh, I only worked on the bloomin' title for two days, 3 or 4 hours each day. Let's see what I can remember... I learned that some things on titles can only be adjusted by selecting - double clicking the title itself instead of through the regular Effects>Effects Controls route....

I created the title, then duplicated it. Put the Title layer on top, the Reflection layer under.

Renamed the dup to reflection, flipped reflection vertically and lowered the opacity to about 40%. Then I began to have trouble moving them about because the reflection word was above the title word on screen. Eventually got them both into place and both blue and green lines were showing in my PreProcs6 previews but I didn't expect them to show up in the rendered, exported product.

I guess I should try to do the title again. I'm sick of it!!!! :fg:
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:42 am

Wow that sure does sound frustrating. May I suggest the following. Temporarily replace the video footage with a white background. That way you will really be able to see if the title is causing the stripe. Then by process of elimination try removing one title at a time to see if you can isolate which text track the stripe is happening. That way you will at least identify where the issue is.

Or.... if you are tired of pulling your hair out.....

Just recreate the text in Photoshop and add the title as a Photoshop file. Sometimes Photoshop is just easier to use for text instead of rooting around in Premiere to try and do what you could easily do in Photoshop.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:36 pm

Looking at it again, I noticed that the line is initially not present when the title is displayed by itself. But, it starts fading in about the time you start fading in the background movie. Then, it fades out as you fade out the title. That suggests that it isn't in the title but may be an interaction between the titles and the movie. That's odd. Did you do anything else like use blending modes or apply an adjustment layer?

I tried to duplicate the problem in Premiere Pro CS6 and couldn't.

Try redoing the title. But, use this method:

1) Create the title.

2) Place the title on the timeline twice -- once on one track and again directly over the first but on the next track up.

3) Select the one that you want to be the reflection and apply the Transform Effect. In the effect properties panel, change the Transform properties as follows: Uncheck the "uniform scale" checkbox. Set Scale Height to -100 (this will flip the image). Adjust the vertical position setting to place the reflection where you want (place the cursor over the vertical position value, the cursor will change to a double arrowed cursor, scrub left or right to change the value). Finally, switch to the Opacity property and set the opacity to the desired value.

Do the lines still appear when you do it that way?
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:00 am

frustrating

Yep. Sometimes I wish I had never learned any of PreEl first. It is SO easy to use. But then, it should be possible to do so much more with so much more control in PPro. Having paid so much $$$ for them, I figure I really, really ought to learn to use PPro and After Effects so I'm wading through. My eyesight can't handle the tiny text in my books these days so I'm trying out one thing after another and trying to remember what they all do. ugh

Well, enough whining. Simply by turning off one layer, then another, it is clear the green stripe is associated with the Reflection layer of the Title.

I LOVE the Photoshop idea, Sidd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But for now I'm going to follow Bob's advice and try this again following his instructions to see if I can do better with PPro.

I'm pretty sure I'll want to do a Reflection Title setup again and again and with either PPro or AE it should be possible to animate the Reflection, following the amount of wave motion of the water. I didn't try to go that far with this one because the water surface is still but I think it could be done.

Oh, and I did try some blending modes, Bob, but came back to Normal. I also tried some effect that I thought might dim the Reflection at the lower edge, as if it had stronger opacity near the top edge and lower at the edge closest to the viewer, as a real reflection would. Maybe that messed it up. I think I wound up deleting that one or perhaps using it only in a very slight way as it didn't look good with this particular script.

thanks for the help, guys.

Back to work! - Bob, I assume you mean not only that the Title and Reflection should be on separate layers, identical length, but that there should be an empty layer between them, right? That's the way I'll try it.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:11 pm

Bob,

Which option of Transform?

Under at least one choice, the option of going negative in height was not viable. Picking Flip Vertically again, the title was flipped immediately and again, no option to go negative. I decided to leave the height of the reflection the same as the height of the title.

I realized while moving the Reflection that when the stripe appears it is along the top edge of where the outer edge of the video would be if the title did not have transparency - although the stripe does go all the way across my screen when I see it.

Then I thought I had figured out what caused the green stripe to appear in the first place. While moving the slider back and forth - it happens:

I found a number i liked, went back in history to undo all my actions, then typed the number in place, hit return, and the stripe was not there. I thought. I found a blip of a stripe in a dull brown in one frame, cut that frame out and then it was okay.

Next I stretched the title out to extend the length of time it would play, cut both layers into 3 segments, selected "Cross Dissolve" from the Video Transitions Effect and applied it to the beginning of the beginning Title and Reflection sections and the end of the ends, to leave the mid section at full opacity. But the fade in and out did no go the full length of the ends so I selected each of the four segments and stretched them out to extend the length of time of fade in and fade out and the green stripe was back.

With PreEl it is possible to choose a number for length of time for a transition to take place. Does PPro have this?
Is there a better way to fade a title in or out in PPro? I guess I'm asking is Cross Dissolve the way to go?

:-k
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:24 pm

From the screen captures you posted, it doesn't look like you applied the Transform Effect. Use need to use that as the scale in the Motion properties will not allow negative values. Just adjust the properties for the Transform Effect including Opacity.

I don't like to use the cross dissolve transition for fades. The Fade In and Fade Out options in Premiere Elements are really just presets for opacity. You can easily keyframe opacity yourself to achieve the fades and I feel it's a much better way to do it. For convenience, you can create presets to do this in Premiere Pro. I don't know why Adobe doesn't include these by default. I'm attaching a zip file with a fade-in and fade-out preset that you can load into Premiere Pro. Extract the file from the zip file. Then, in Premiere Pro, switch to the effects panel and right click on the presets tab to select Import Presets. Locate the file in the import dialog. You can apply the presets individually or select both and apply them at the same time if you wish.

fadePresets.zip

Rather than go into a long confusing description, how about I just give you a sample PrPro CS6 project. The project has a main sequence and a nested title sequence. Select the nested title sequence tab in the timeline and look at the effects controls for the title on track 2 to see how I set up the scaling and opacity. I also added a slight wave effect. I applied the fades to the nested sequence in the main sequence.

SampleProject.zip

sampleCapture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:04 am

Checking in...

I've been working on this more since supper and figured out there are at least two 'Transforms' in PPro.

The one I've been using is:

Effects> Transform> Vertical Flip... then to Effects Controls and adjusting options. Neither Vertical Flip nor any of the other selections under Effects>Transform would allow a negative scale height.

I think the Transform you meant, Bob, was:

Effects> Distort> Transform...and then to Effects Controls. YES! Uncheck Uniform Scale, Reduce Height to -100 and the image flips vertically!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :exc:

It is just midnight here. I'm going to bed and I'll check out your tutorial tomorrow. Thanks so much for taking so much effort to help me.

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:39 am

Yes, effects>distort>transform is the one. If you enter "transform" in the effects search box, that's the only one that will show up.

The Transform Effect has an opacity property and I suggest that is what you should adjust to reduce the opacity of the reflection. That frees up the opacity property under Motion for use in setting a fade-in and fade-out without interference. Sometimes the length of the reflection will not match the height of the object being reflected. For example, the reflection of an object leaning toward you will be longer than the object while the reflection of an object leaning away from you will be shorter. You can mimic this by using a value other than -100 for the vertical scaling.
Bob

Next

Return to Showcase