They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

First Pilotfly H1+ Tests

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

First Pilotfly H1+ Tests

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:08 pm

After seeing Sidd's great results with his 3-axis stabilizer I decided to take the plunge, so I ordered a Pilotfly H1+ 3-axis gimbal stabilizer. It arrived a couple of days ago and I have started to play with it.

I must admit that this process isn't as easy as I had hoped it would be. The "SimpleBGC" software used to program settings into the stabilizer is definitely NOT simple, and the documentation that came with the Pilotfly is very weak. However, YouTube videos and a Facebook forum are helping a lot.

Here is a test I put together this weekend. I tested my GH4 with 12-35mm f/2.8 lens as well as my Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye lens. Of note is the fact the 12-35mm lens has image stabilization and the 7.5mm lens doesn't, but I think both lenses do well in this test. I tried the 12-35mm lens both with and without IS. You can see just a little more shake in the "no OIS" version, but the Pilotfly helps there too. I used a fisheye removal plugin with the 7.5mm footage.

I'm glad I got this and am confident it will let me take my videos to a new level, but I have a lot to learn...

Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: First Pilotfly H1+ Tests

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:53 pm

Congrats, Ron! It looks good. I like the footage better with the stabilizer turned on.

Am I right in thinking this is a 35mm size digital camera? Sorry, I'm not familiar with all the camera model numbers.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Thanks Patrice! The GH4 is an interchangeable lens, mirrorless "micro four thirds" camera so it is quite a bit smaller than a "traditional" DSLR. It still has the same general form factor though.

The GH4 body weighs 560grams (19.75oz) and the 12-35mm f/2.8 lens weighs 305grams (10.76oz), for a combined weight of 865grams. For comparison, the Canon 5D Mark III weighs 806grams body only!

The Pilotfly H1+ can work with up to 1200grams and is thus limited to cameras like GH4, A7S, GoPro, point-and-shoot, smartphone, etc.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:40 pm

All the shots were smooth. The GH4 is a very nice camera. What is the weight limit on the Pilot Fly?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:41 am

Ron the footage looked really good. I personally think that the brushless gimbal is the way to go. I am betting that it is also a lot lighter on the arm too. Does your stabilizer have the ability to add an extension pole? I have found that to be a pretty good way to get those boom shots and low shots (aka: the mom foot cam shot :)). I think I need to add just a bit of a counter weight so the thing is not so front heavy.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks Mom and Sidd!

Mom, the Pilotfly H1 weight limit is 1000grams (I think), but the H1+ weight limit is 1200grams.

Yes Sidd, I can add an extension pole to the handle, thanks for the idea! I'll have to try that next. A monopod will connect nicely to the 1/4" thread in the Pilotfly handle and that will let me get the camera very close to the ground. I just tried out the "invert mode" for those types of shots, and it works well.

Hopefully I'll get more "flight time" before our upcoming beach vacation as I'd love to use it there.

Sidd, do you plan to use your stabilizer with some sort of camera strap for "around town" filming? I'm asking because I'm debating taking the Pilotfly on a business trip next week to Europe and my Rapid Strap could be handy with it.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Ron I do have an upcoming business trip that I think I am going to take it with me. When using out and about I try to keep it visible and keep the camera LED's on so as to make it clear that it is not a weapon. The comments I have read regarding flight is to keep it handy to show TSA and keep the batteries in it so if asked you can demonstrate that is works.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Showcase