They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

My First Bumblebee of 2015

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

My First Bumblebee of 2015

Postby theOZer » Thu May 14, 2015 10:59 pm

Bombus (Thoracobombus) fervidus (Fabricius)
My first bumblebee of 2015. Bumblebees are Total Koo!
Date filmed: MAY-14-2015 Length: 00:04:13 Size: 494 MB Format: AVCHD
Camera: Sony HDR-PJ440 Handycam
Video Software: Sony Movie Studio 13 Suite, PlayMemories Home
Video FX: NewBlue MSPPS Color Fixer Plus - OpenFX
Transitions: Movie Studio Platinum 3D Blinds
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KARtHfpGU80[/youtube]
120V 4-slot toaster running Windows 11 Home Edition
theOZer

Re: My First Bumblebee of 2015

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 15, 2015 9:09 am

More bees! (You know, you're really helping me appreciate the beauty of these little honey-suckers, OZer.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Fri May 15, 2015 9:48 am

Welcome to Muvipix, Oz!

I've been away for awhile. I'm not going to comment on each of your videos individually. I've enjoyed them all.

My cousin, who lives across the road from me, has recently added beehives on his farm. I'd like to video the bee Waggle Dance and he has agreed that I may, but neither of us know enough about bees to know how to go about it.

Is the dance done inside or out of the hive?

If out, then I can set up a motion activated camcorder. If not, Mr. B would probably be willing to build a hive with a glass wall so we could see inside, but we have no idea how deep within the hive we might need to be able to see. Any thoughts or suggestions?

More importantly, you say your bees seldom sting you and I'm glad to hear that - but have you EVER been stung while wearing the bee suit? I'm allergic and don't fancy going into anaphylactic shock again. Ever.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby theOZer » Fri May 15, 2015 6:40 pm

_Paz_,
Hello.

To answer your question about bee stings: I have not been stung while wearing a torso suit with attached bonnet and gloves.
As far as bee stings go...Bee stings are no laughing matter.
I get stung occasionally and always the cause is my error, not a bee just attacking me. I am not allergic to bee stings, and I actually seem to be acquiring an immunity to the full impact a bee sting can have.
Anaphylactic shock needs being taken seriously. If one has an allergic reaction to a bee sting then by all means where full body bee-related protective wear. At least wear a bonnet. If not also a torso suit then make sure your shirt is tucked into your waist band. And, nice to also: 1) have gloves, 2) tuck pant legs into socks, and 3) avoid loose clothing.

About the Waggle Dance:
The waggle dance is done in the hive. A glass wall on the beehive sounds like a good idea.

Love Bees,
theOZer
theOZer

Postby sidd finch » Sat May 16, 2015 9:19 am

It always looks like those bees should not be able to fly. We get a lot of carpenter bees that seem to enjoy our lemon tree blossoms. They are fun to watch because they move a bit slower than the honey bees. It is also noce to enjoy the smell of the blossoms while watching the busy bees.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Sat May 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Thanks, Oz.

It's disappointing to hear the waggle is an indoor event. I'll have to learn more about how the stretchers are placed inside a hive. I suppose there has to be an empty place for dance performance. Getting enough light inside for filming and a camera in and out could prove difficult. My smallest camera, the GoPro doesn't last long on a single battery. It is possible to add an electric cord but I haven't done that yet. My next smallest camera would take up more room than I think would be inside there.

This may be one I'll pass on. We'll see. I don't want to give up the idea yet, but I can see this won't be easy.

I film bees all the time. I'm not afraid of them and try to stay calm to be sure they won't 'smell fear' on me. I also have my EpiPen with me and an adrenaline ampule in the refrigerator, just in case.

I'm counting down the lives I have left so I'll definitely be careful. My cousin has an extra bee bonnet and I understand about the waistband, pants in socks, long sleeves with sleeves tucked in gloves. Buy why not loose clothing? If the bee is outside the clothes, wouldn't something loose make it harder for the stinger to reach skin?

Once when I was washing down a dog which had rolled in something horrid, I kept feeling a little tap, tap, tap on the leg of my jeans. The fact that they were loose prevented that little rattlesnake I was standing on from reaching my leg.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby theOZer » Sun May 17, 2015 9:39 am

_Paz_,
Was that a wasp on your ankle? Wasps can repeatedly both bite and sting you.

Borescope camera may be an approach to use. I got one to mess around with; I use it to do non-invasive beehive checks. Placement of the scope is dependent upon the type of beehive.
Langstroth (the 'square' box, stacked up type) and top-bar (look like foot lockers on wooden legs; the type of hive I use), the two most popular beehive types, have different comb layouts/set ups.

Loose clothing is clothing that is not directly on your skin, right. And loose clothing offers an opportunity for a bee to find itself in your clothing, feeling trapped, and trying to get out. Put a bee between a shirt sleeve and your skin, then add panic. Any pressure on the bee, say one is in the inside fold of your arm and you simply fold your arm up, and "Bang!," you're stung. That is just how I just got stung yesterday. My error, as always, when I get stung. My bees have never 'just stung me' for no good reason. That is not the nature of bees.

If you can, make that fear of exuding "fear" (you do, like bees, also give off your own individual pheromones) into feeling you "resonate," that you exude a calm one feels around close family, and you then become one with the bee colony. Its an unique feeling to be amongst my girls, my bees, and realize fear is NOT needed around bees. Love is, love and wonderment.

Love Bees, theOZer
theOZer

Postby Bob » Sun May 17, 2015 2:31 pm

In which state are you located, Ozer? Here in Southern California, Africanized bees have pretty much replaced the docile honey bees we used to have. I take it you don't have Africanized bees where you are, it that correct? I haven't had any problems with them. While foraging, they act like pretty much every other bee except they seem to be more sensitive to perfumes/colognes and more apt to go after you if you disturb them. Around the hive, they are super aggressive and quick to attack though.
Bob

Postby theOZer » Mon May 18, 2015 9:40 am

Bob,
I added my location to the post; I live in the Pikes Peak Region of Colorado.
Yes, you did describe an africanized bee; and those traits africanized bees adopted then adapted have kept them alive (in Africa) for millions of years. They are noticeably more protective of the beehive, the colony.
In our hives, our bee species is called "Golden Italian," known for their docility. Docile they are unless you mess with them and then, like all bees, they defend their territory.
Love Bees, theOZer
theOZer

Postby Bob » Mon May 18, 2015 6:04 pm

That's a beautiful area. I've been to Denver, but haven't been able to make it to the Pike's Peak area. I was hoping someday to ride the cog railway to the summit, but that probably won't happen.
Bob

Return to Showcase