They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Toy Tornado

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Toy Tornado

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:53 pm

One of my kids received a "toy tornado" from his grandparents a few years ago. I've always liked the colors the toy produces, so I decided to create a video about it. Originally I tried "green screening" it but that didn't work out the way I wanted, so yesterday I filmed the toy in total darkness and the colors came through very well.

I shot the video with my GH4 in 4k 24fps and edited it on a FCPX 1080p 24fps timeline. For exposure I used spot metering on the tornado, not the background, and I think the exposure turned out well. (Lens was wide open at f/2.8.) I increased saturation in post to make the colors more vivid. Music is "Life of Riley" from Incompetech.com.

The video is barely a minute long. Let me know what you think of it.

Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Toy Tornado

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:16 pm

What cool visual effects, Ron! Very creative use of a 99 cent toy!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:17 pm

Toys make for some interesting subject matter. I could see it with a triptych effect. Very cool

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:27 pm

Very cool experiment Ron! The total darkness looks great and the exposure was spot on. Sidd's triptych idea is interesting. Will the lens focus closer? Would the light inside reflect something from the background? I was thinking a piece of scrap book paper behind the toy. If you can't get closer then you could crop the sides in post to hide the edges of the paper. Maybe a strip chevron in multi colors. The kaleidoscope effect may produce interesting results too.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:40 pm

It sounds very, very well and I have liked how you had centered the revolving object in the black background and panned vertically the bubbling one.
The essential arrangement makes the sound present (I don't know if the word in English fits as well as the Italian "presente", which means also perceivable without any distraction and preeminent) and so is the unique object, according with the introduction.
My compliments!
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Showcase