They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Taiwan Odyssey

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Taiwan Odyssey

Postby rtk1958 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi all,

Finally finished a video of my wonderful trip to Taiwan last summer. It was a beautiful and friendly place to visit with lots of good food. The video footage is from my Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone and the photos are mostly from my Olympus digital camera. Some photos are from the smartphone. The video is in three segments, the first of which uses photos and images from the internet. The last two segments contain photos and video I took during the two weeks touring parts of the country. It was a great experience. Hope you enjoy.

Todd

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmLwtnmoJpo[/youtube]

p.s. Make sure the Youtube video is playing at max resolution, 480p. I've seen posted Youtube links open and play at lower resolutions, not sure why.
rtk1958

Re: Taiwan Odyssey

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:55 am

Awesome Todd! That's as close as I'll ever get to Taiwan. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The music was great, and the syncing with it was very well done. That was an interesting "reveal by thirds" that you don't see very much. This wasn't a two-wheel adventure was it?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:37 am

A beautiful homage to a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing it, Todd! Great job!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:46 pm

Todd that was great! The pacing to music was perfect and I loved how the sequence of shots at the end moved left to right, it was as if you were moving your head to the right and looking at all of those images. I also liked the sequence that zoomed into each image. Did you notice the woman crossing the street with the mask on? And I had no idea waves could crash like that!

It would have been nice if there were some text in lower third area to indicate what the viewer is looking at. You remember it I'm sure, but someday you might not.

Did you have the S4 in a case, or is it waterproof?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:02 pm

It was a pleasure to watch. Perfect timing of music and video. Wonderfully smooth transitions. Great job of using dip to black between video and music changes. :tup:
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:28 pm

What a memorable trip! The streets were very crowded. One photo had someone pushing a person in a wheel chair. Wonder how they manage through the crowd. Enjoyed seeing the food vendors. Did you eat at the vendors? Any favorites? Nice edit to the music!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:05 am

Todd that was a really nice video I really enjoyed watching it. I like watching your footage better than the internet pics as they were too "perfect" I like to see the real deal. Your smartphone did a pretty nice job with the video.

I will never get to Taiwan so this is a great chance to see the other side of the world. Very well done. I agree with Ron cause I was wondering what some of those places were. But still cool...

I bet their eyes would pop if you came riding along on your big bike. :)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby rtk1958 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks all for taking the time to watch and post comments. To answer some of the questions:

It was not a two-wheeled adventure, although there is an American motorcycle rider who moved to Taiwan several years ago that offers motorcycle tours of Taiwan. May have to give that a try next time.

While definitely in the minority, you see people wearing the little face masks almost everywhere you go. Perhaps a hold over from the Asian bird flu scare several years ago? I was standing on a street corner taking video of traffic and people passing by and along comes a woman wearing a mask running across the street in my direction. Included it in the final sequence of the video.

I definitely did a lot of eating, but avoided many things too. Like the "Pork Large Intestine" and "Pigs Blood Soup" shown on the sign of one of the food vendor shots. Favorites were the fried pork and chicken, wheel cakes (round waffle like cakes with cream, chocolate, bean, or taro filling in them), and both the fried and steamed pork dumplings.

The S4 was not in a waterproof case, nor was the Olympus digital camera. Both, along with myself, got wet in the scene with the crashing waves that got a little too close. Luckily, after meticulously wiping each of them down, both continued working okay. Think being splashed with water isn't as damaging as being submerged in it. Needless to say, I positioned myself a little further back for the remainder of the shoot. In case anyone wondered, I used a GoPro Hero2 for the white-water rafting shots. That was the only time I used the GoPro.

Like the idea of captioning some of the shots. May have to go back in and add a few.

Thanks again for all the comments, really appreciate it.

Todd
rtk1958

Return to Showcase