They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Using PE23 project (*.prel) files in PE22

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2023

Using PE23 project (*.prel) files in PE22

Postby fm3001 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:38 am

Forgive me for I am new......

First a short background so you know where I am coming from: I started shooting family videos in 1987 when we were stationed in Iceland with a then very expensive Panasonic VHS camera. Since then we have accumulated over 90 2.5 hour tapes. This project has been to convert all of them to DVD. I made the first master in 2012 using Roxio Creator 2011 Special Edition. But I was and still am learning DVD authoring so this master is not up to the standards I have developed today.

Since last year I have remastered all the tapes and am now into phone videos and most recently *.MP4's from a 4K Panasonic HD camera :-D .

A little about the Roxio mess: I build all our computers and had to transition from the excellent Win7 to Win10 to allow using the newest processors. I can get Roxio 2011 to work in Win 10 but it has some "instabilities". So I went for Roxio NXT 6 (never could get it to work). Then more money for NXT 9 which does work. But of course Roxio like Adobe and the rest of them do stupid things in newer releases of there software. In this case up to Roxio 2012 the authoring part MYDVD allowed multifont unlimited chapter thumbnail captions, many templates, the ability to add text anywhere, and to move everything around. With the NXT series they decided to take almost all this excellent functionality away. So I have been using a slow 2006 Laptop with WinXP and small hard drive to run Roxio 2011. I have since gotten into the higher resolution phone videos and the program has slowed down & been screwing up so much that I have given up on it :ha: . I need a new good Disc Authoring program.

I have been using Adobe Photoshop elements since it (and Roxio) were coming bundled with Adaptec SCSI controllers back 20 years ago. Gained a lot of experience using elements and later full Photoshop CS2 in creating thousands of images for our online business. Photoshop is the best that I know of. I got PE23 so I could streamline the mastering process by creating one *.mpg or *.mp4, plugging that into Roxio 2011 and create the DVD through there. It worked OK until I got to anything past VHS tape resolution. I did not know that PE's ever created DVD's (poor marketing by Adobe I guess). So I waded through the increasing amount of internet BS and found out PE22 was the last DVD authoring video editor by Adobe.

....and to the subject: I want to go back to the discs I created after the tapes and redo them with PE22. But PE22 won't take the *.prel files I created with PE23 :eek: . Is there any way around this? Thank you.
fm3001
New User
New User

Re: Using PE23 project (*.prel) files in PE22

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:50 am

fm3001 wrote:Forgive me for I am new......

You are forgiven! :hyst: (Sorry, couldn't resist that ).

I am no expert on PrEl - switched to PPro after PrEl version 2.

The advice given here on Muvipix has been consistent over all of the versions and that is to finish your project in the version that you started it with which implies that the .prel files have differences as the versions advance.

Having said that someone else might come along here with some info that will help.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:33 am

I second John. Never try to open and old project in a newer version of Premiere Elements. It nearly always leads to corruption and instability.

You also can't go backwards. A version 2023 project won't open in version 2022.

I highly recommend finishing any project in the same version of Premiere Elements you started it in.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby fm3001 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:33 am

Thank you for the help. Fortunately creating projects in either version is easy ::C
fm3001
New User
New User

Return to Premiere Elements 2023