They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HD to flash

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

HD to flash

Postby Jayell » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:41 pm

This hi-def stuff continues to confuse me. ](*,)
I'm about to start a new project that will ONLY go to my Website as an .flv file. If I capture in HD .. process a HD project in PE7 .. but then share using the NTSC Flash Video 8 700K (640 x 480) option .. have I accomplished anything processing a HD project? Even though it's only 640 x 480, is it still higher quality than if I processed it as an SD project?
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: HD to flash

Postby Paul LS » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:17 pm

If your final export is to standard definition you will gain no increase in quality by working in a high definition project. Infact you could end up with worse quality... depending on how the video editor down sizes the video. If you intend to work in a SD project your best work flow is probably to downconvert in the camcorder and capture as standard definition DV-AVI ( assuming you have a HDv camcorder as I believe you have).
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:32 pm

Yes, my camcorder is HD .. and I always shoot in HD .. as I'm always mixing and matching pieces together (often at a much later time), and never know what the final product is going to be before I start shooting. So am I surmising that if I'm going to end up with a flash (flv) file as my end product, I should at least process as an SD project in PE7, not HD?
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:03 am

Paul LS wrote:If your final export is to standard definition you will gain no increase in quality....... your best work flow is probably to downconvert in the camcorder and capture as standard definition DV-AVI.....

Jayell wrote:....if I'm going to end up with a flash (flv) file as my end product, I should at least process as an SD project in PE7, not HD?

As Paul suggested, the best way is to carry on recording in HD (just in case you find a future use for your footage) but downconvert in camera to SD for those .flv projects.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Jayell » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:17 am

Thanks, John .. and Paul. Haven't done the downconverting process yet, but will check it out.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Hi Def