They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HV30 DV out

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

HV30 DV out

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:30 pm

There are several threads on downconverting in the camera vs. HDV project & PrPro downconverting to burn a disc. The latter being the better. I have a large project and thought it would be easier to work with SD project in Pro & AE since the output is SD. Normally I have an HDV project to widescreen SD and wanted to try the other approach.

In the HV30 changed the playback setting to DV Lock. Captured the video and was surprised that this is not widescreen. Things don't quite look like they should. Is this correct? Do I need to change another setting in the camcorder?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: HV30 DV out

Postby Bobby » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:00 pm

It sounds like you need to right click in the organizer and select Interpret Footage, and then use the 16:9 setting (my editing PC is not fired up right now, so can't be positive). I have to do that with PE7.

I went through the same decision process, but finally decided to go with using an HD workflow, and then outputting to whatever resolution is appropriate (i.e. SD for DVDs). I found no difference in quality of the SD, but of course have the HD when I want it.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks Bobby! The Interpret Footage worked. Yes, lots of decisions on which way to edit. Have only had 2 HD projects with the HV30 and went the edit in HDV and burn SD. If this was only video project then that route would be best. I plan on making a slideshow montage and using AE for segments and wanted to reduce the AE megafiles. Hopefully the MBQL will work as good on SD. I still have to resize my gradient wipes from SD to Widescreen. Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Captured 3 tapes (3hours). Odd thing is the first 2 tapes had to interpret footage and the last tape didn't except for the first clip.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bobby » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:47 pm

That is odd. But it is still OK to use Interpret Footage as it (in this case) just tells the program to interpret the pixels as rectangular (yielding 16:9 ratio) instead of square (yielding 4:3) - same number of pixels, no loss of resolution.

My experience so far (I think) is that 100% of my files needed IF.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Hi Def