They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Converting a project from SD to HD

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Converting a project from SD to HD

Postby Jayell » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:56 pm

I have a continuous video going of all the animals that I 'capture' on my property. I started it a few years ago .. and it will continue indefinately. As I get better footage of a particular animal, I replace older clips. It was started as an SD project, into which I am just beginning to bring HD footage. Somewhere along the way I will have more HD footage than SD and will want to convert it to an HD project. Other than saving to an AVI and bringing that into a new HD project (or bringing all the footage in again from scratch .. not likely!) .. is there any other way to convert it into an HD project?

.. AND for the time being, it's all being exported to FLVs for my Website .. so does it buy me anything quality wise (even a small amount) to make the conversion from SD to HD?
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Converting a project from SD to HD

Postby Jayell » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:42 pm

OK then .. I'm going to assume the answers are 'NO' .. and 'maybe' :-D
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:04 pm

I'm waiting for some of the more knowledgeable people to chime in about this. Maybe there is a way to upconvert from SD to HD but my guess is that the quality will suffer greatly.

You can put SD footage into an HD project it will not take up the entire screen. It would cover 720 x 480 in the center of the HD project.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:37 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Maybe there is a way to upconvert from SD to HD but my guess is that the quality will suffer greatly. You can put SD footage into an HD project it will not take up the entire screen. It would cover 720 x 480 in the center of the HD project.

Someone commented on the forum to the effect that you can't put pixels back where there weren't any to begin with. So HD is 1920 x 1080, SD is 720 x 480. Full 1080 HD has about six times as many pixels as SD. The only solution to producing the full output as HD will be to zoom in on the SD footage. The resulting quality of the 'zoomed in' footage will be reduced markedly. Now whether this makes a hugely material difference on an flv file I wouldn't know. My choice would be to use the SD footage at native resolution and use it in 'picture in picture' mode in the HD output.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Jayell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:28 am

I think I probably knew that .. but thanks, John, for walking me through it. Last nite I found that there weren't quite as many video clips to deal with as I thought, so starting from scratch in a new HD project might not be as painful as I was thinking it might. I don't mind the clips not filling the screen .. I always use a background anyway. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier way to get from SD to HD.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:53 pm

If you are interested there is a technique called 'super-resolution' which is able to enhance lower res images into higher res images using an algorithm to compare frames before and after the current frame. Search for the term and you may be surprised at the hits. Here is one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-resolution

I bought the app named 'Video Enhancer' which has a 'Super Resolution' mode - however haven't tried that mode. He wants $40.
http://www.thedeemon.com/VideoEnhancer/

This guy also makes a plugin for Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro for $99.
http://www.thedeemon.com/super_resolution/
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:15 am

My project isn't critical enough to spend much $$ on, but interesting to know what's out there and what can be done. Thanks Ken for the links!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:34 am

Yes, thanks for the links Ken, very interesting stuff :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ken Jarstad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:38 pm

Here is another interesting application on the TMPGEnc website if you are willing to spend a few bucks. Scroll about halfway down the page.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp_spurs.html
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Hi Def