They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

miniDV Recording

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

miniDV Recording

Postby csgaraglino » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:40 pm

Today I got out and shot my A1U for the first time. This is also my first time with tape.
funny thing, I was out for 6+ hours and only shot 20 minutes of tape; but I did get every shot I needed.

My questions is, do I keep recording until the tape runs out and the rewind/record or do I rewind and record now (over this 20 minutes)?
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios On Web || On Flickr || On Vimeo
csgaraglino

Re: miniDV Recording

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:32 am

Hi Chris. Bearing in mind the realtively low price of tapes I think that most of us here that use tape tend to use it once and when it is full, file it. This is especially important (IMHO) when recording in HD as used tapes will be more prone to dropouts.

Equally important is to select one brand of tape and use it to the exclusion of all others. The reason here is that diferent tape manufacturers use different tape lubricants and there have been reports of the lubricants interacting and gumming up the works. This may now be a problem that has been solved but speaking personally I don't take the risk.

By the way, I have the same camera as you. How are you finding it?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:12 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote: Bearing in mind the realtively low price of tapes I think that most of us here that use tape tend to use it once and when it is full, file it. This is especially important (IMHO) when recording in HD as used tapes will be more prone to dropouts.

That's exactly what I do, use the whole tape, capture the tape, and file them away.

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Equally important is to select one brand of tape and use it to the exclusion of all others. The reason here is that diferent tape manufacturers use different tape lubricants and there have been reports of the lubricants interacting and gumming up the works. This may now be a problem that has been solved but speaking personally I don't take the risk.

Excellent advice John :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:19 am

I've got a drawer full of old tapes -- most of which I've only used a fraction of the footage from in past projects.

Every once in a while, I get one out at look at the outtakes. There's some great "lost" footage of our family in there! I'm glad I didn't record over any of it!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby csgaraglino » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:12 am

Ok great, I'll take that advise.
So, what is relatively inexpensiveness?
Right now I have two and of the Sony 63DM Digital Master Tape and I can get them locally for just under $20

Being new to Video, I see hours and hours needed to learn this exciting art, so.
For general projects is there a tape that will better meet the needs of a beginner?
Is there a better resource than BestBuy? (I don't have a local video shop within 100 miles of me)
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
csgaraglino

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:59 am

You can get a 5-pack of Sony miniDV tapes for about $10 on Amazon, Chris.

But even if you pick them up at Best Buy, you shouldn't pay more than $4-5 a cassette. (They sell a 6-pack for $30.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby csgaraglino » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:33 pm

I saw that BestBuy does have miniDV tapes for very reasonable prices, but none of these state that they are for HD.
Can I use the standard tapes? Are there any disadvantages to using a tape that does not state HD on it?
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
csgaraglino

Postby Peru » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Read this thread for more discussion about tapes:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6154&p=55307#p55307
Peru

Postby csgaraglino » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:24 pm

That helps a lot... Thanks