They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What format?

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

What format?

Postby csgaraglino » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:02 pm

I know, I know, I really should know this, but I don't - so call me a moron!
The thing is, I don't know how to get find out?

I have been struggling for 6 months or so with quality and it seems that it is all coming down to format in and format out.
If these are not the same, I am always going to get crap out, and I have a bucket load of soft videos.

Up till today I have been shooting with a Nikon P6000 and a JVC Enviro.
And now I have just bought a Sony HVR-A1U and I have yet to pull any data from it. As a matter of fact I will be shooting it for the first time tomorrow.

I have also struggled with still image formats... I just found our a couple of days ago that a 720 x 480 video requires a 1280 x 720 still?

So I guess I don't really know what I have, I don't know where to start, and I don't know what to do to get it out?

Editing software (I use Premier Elements 8) I can edit with. It seems that it is getting it from cameras to PRE then out of PRE that is killing me. Is there a primer on this aspect of the video post processing?
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios On Web || On Flickr || On Vimeo
csgaraglino

Re: What format?

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi Chris, no morons here and we realize that no one knows everything :)
Welcome to Muvipix :meet:

We all started somewhere and the folks here remember where they came from.

Don't know who told you that
a 720 x 480 video requires a 1280 x 720 still?

not really true, you only need a 720 x 480 image. In Fact a 640 x 480 image will work just fine too. Now if you want to zoom in on the image then a higher resolution will be helpful but not necessary.

What are your goals for output, DVD, Blu Ray, Web?
Lots of folks here with plenty of experience to give you a hand. Let us know what you are trying to accomplish and we will help you get there :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby csgaraglino » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Thanks...

I'll see if I can make explaining my existing issue simple?
I have a video at: http://coloradotrailrider.com/2010/03/14/lessons-in-stoping-with-your-seat/
In the beginning of the video I have three images I took with a Nikon D700 Full-Frame DSLR and pristine glass.
These are very sharp & crisp, that is before it went to video.
These are 1100 x 732 and a pixel ratio set to 1.22 for Widescreen (so I have a little room for moving/zooming), however, no matter what I do I can not get them sharp in PRE.
Now I know that video is to going to be as sharp as my D700, but I should be able to get better than what I have.
I also know that the compression out of PRE and the transcoding that WordPress applied will degrade the video some, but when I export the best AVI PRE will do to my hard drive, the IQ of the photos is horrible!

Edit: Added link below.
Here is a link to the JPG version of one of the files used in this video.
http://www.outdoorstudiosphotography.co ... 5972-5.jpg
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
csgaraglino

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:35 am

Hi Chris and welcome to Muvipix.

I downloaded your jpeg and created a short video of the one image, exporting as NTSC widescreen and I couldn't fault the output.

Could you try a video with just the image? and let us know the workflow that you used and what the result was like?

EDIT: I used the NTSC DV preset. To maintain the quality in an HD video I would re-edit the original still image and make it 1920x1080 or slightly larger if you wish to do some panning and zooming.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby csgaraglino » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:35 pm

Thanks, I'll try this with just images and nothing else and see what I get.
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
csgaraglino

Return to Hi Def