They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Talkin' 3D

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Re: Talkin' 3D

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:46 am

Chuck Engels wrote:I already wear glasses, don't want to wear another pair to watch a movie.
Just old school I guess.

It's really true, and only those of us who are severly myopic will understand the problems associated with looking through more than one layer of lens or shield.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:56 pm

I suppose you could try to find someone who will make a set of prescription glasses with clear polarizing set to the proper angles. Good luck on that second part though.

Before the advent of photosensitive coatings, I used to have prescription polarized sunglasses. That worked great until everyone started switching to photosensitive lenses and the labs apparently forgot how to properly apply the polarizing coating. I was always amazed at how often they got the angle(s) wrong. Usually, both lenses were the same rotation but set at the wrong angle so the glare wasn't being removed. Sometimes each lens was set at a different angle so you got glare in one eye and not the other. It got so I bad that I had to bring a polarizing filter from my camera and my old pair of glasses with me when I came to pick up my new glasses to show them exactly what was wrong and have them remade. I eventually gave up and switched to photosensitive without polarizing.
Bob

Postby Bobby » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:26 pm

I wear a pair of those big over-sunglasses for when biking or beaching. A bit cumbersome but they do the job and are polarized.

In my case, my prescription being so extreme, the early prescription sunglasses (solid, before coatings) were thinner in the middle and therefore much lighter in the center. Hated those too.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:52 pm

...thinner in the middle and therefore much lighter in the center

I had forgotten about those! Best left forgotten, IMHO. The other downside was that was before polycarbonate lenses. Remember how heavy those glasses were? And, how thick the rims were?
Bob

Postby Bobby » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 pm

Yup - I have been wearing glasses for 60 years, and have seen it all! I actually did well on hard contact lenses, but just couldn't get the wearing time up long enough to last me through a 9-10 hour working day and then the commute time, so I eventually dropped them. Tried the astigmatic soft lenses, but just couldn't keep them in the correct rotational position. Back to glasses...

Or, back to 3D? I also think it is going to be a short-term fad at this level of technology, but it will sure garner a lot of press time this year. BTW, my wife took the grandkids to Avatar and went about an hour out of her way to see it in 3D. She enjoyed the 3D effect but not sure if it was worth the extra ride. She did comment that the screen was not bright, but I am not sure if this was a local projection issue or a 3D issue.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:53 am

Bobby wrote:Yup - I have been wearing glasses for 60 years, and have seen it all!

Probably unintentional I know, but that made me laugh :CS:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bobby » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:46 am

As they say, no pun intended!!!!!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Clayton » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:07 am

Bob wrote:I'm nearsighted and can't wear contact lenses.

Wow Bob with those peepers of yours, it would take a BIG pair of contacts! :-
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:37 am

Clayton wrote:... BIG pair...

standard for me... :lol:
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:20 pm

Thought this might be interesting reading for anyone following this thread. It's a short thread from another forum:

http://www.highdefforum.com/upcoming-di ... -demo.html

He sure did like it!
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Previous

Return to Hi Def