They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HD on DVD from PRE 7 or 8

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Re: HD on DVD from PRE 7 or 8

Postby Paul LS » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:01 am

There appears to be some confusion here. cspitser what do you actually want to achieve?

It sounds like you want to burn high definition video to a standard DVD and play it back as high definition. This is generally refered to a "AVCHD disc"... if you do this then to play the disc back in HD on a HDTV you would need to use a blu-ray player or playstation. The way I do it is through my home theatre PC using a software high definition player (Cyberlink PowerDVD) via the HDMI port on my graphics card to my HDTV.

To create the AVCHD discs I export as high definition H.264 from PE7 and import this into Corel Moviefactory to burn the AVCHD discs. Unfortunately Moviefactory is no longer available, however, other software that can burn AVCHD discs are NERO, Cyberlink PowerProducer (or PowerDirector... this is a video editor with disc burning capability) or Corel VideoStudio.

But as mentioned above... creating the disc is not the problem... it is how you will view it!!!

Otherwise you can burn your high definition production to a standard DVD in PE7/8 in standard definition and this will play in a standard DVD player but it will not be in high definition on your TV.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:11 am

Well, just to clarify my statements, I play mine on a (one of the originals) Toshiba HD-DVD Player. I sort of jumped the gun before that format started disappearing.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cspitser » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Paul LS

Thank you for your explanation of 2/5/10

I am thinking of either getting PRE7 and Cyberlink Power producer, or Just getting Cyberlink Power director and forgetting PRE. Your advice on this???

Both cyberlink power director and cyberlink power producer have a “deluxe” and “ultra” version. The web site doesn’t say what the difference is. Can anyone comment on that?

If I stay with PRE, you say to export a file H.264 to be used by cyberlink. What type of file is this. Is there any conversion loss?

Can both “director” and “producer use this file? I am thinking that I would do all of the major editing like cutting out parts of clips, adding audio, inserting titles, etc in PRE, then creating the disk menu with cyberlink. Is that right?

Cliff
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:40 am

Regarding the difference between the various Ultra and Deluxe options see this comparision chart for Cyberlink PowerDirector
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/power ... en_US.html
There is a similar chart for PowerProducer:
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/power ... en_US.html
As you will see... one difference between the Ultra and Deluxe versions is the ability to author HD AVCHD and Blu-ray discs.

Cyberlink PowerDirector has a bunch of nice features plus the ability to burn a wider range of disc formats and it allows much more control over the DVD authoring. Premiere Elements has more depth in control of video effects and the editing process... if you simply want to create a movie with nice effects then go with PowerDirector. If you see yourself going on to more serious video editing then Premiere Elements is probably better but you will need to buy a DVD authoring software... like PowerProducer if you want to produce AVCHD discs on standard DVDs.

The H.264 format is similar to AVCHD, more highly compressed than MPEG2... Premiere Elements can export to this format. PowerDirector and PowerProducer can import this format without problem.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:35 am

I'm also trying to understand how this all works if there is a weak link in the chain. Because I'm considering purchasing an HD camcorder. So in order to get the highest quality results, one needs:
a high def camcorder
recorded to a blue-ray DVD
played by a blue-ray DVD player
on a high-def television
if any of those pieces is missing, the resulting quality will be reduced. Is that correct?
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:50 am

Well, you dont have to burn to Blu-ray disc... you can export a high definition movie from Premiere Elements (MPEG2, H.264. HD-WMV) and play it on your HDTV via a media center player. like this one Bobby is discussing here:
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=7231
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:51 am

Jayell, you could replace the second and third items on your list with a media player box such as the Patriot Box Office

http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/d ... 95&type=20

I just bought one myself. You create high def projects on your PC, write the appropriate files to a hard drive and take to the unit or stream through your network. No Blu-Ray required or needed.

See viewtopic.php?f=85&t=7231&p=64559#p64559
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Thanks, Paul and Bobby, I saw that post right after I posted mine. I guess that still confirms that all of the pieces along the way need to have Hi-def capability.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Jayell wrote:Thanks, Paul and Bobby, I saw that post right after I posted mine. I guess that still confirms that all of the pieces along the way need to have Hi-def capability.

Yes, I agree. You have to be hi-def from end to end. But, it's a Jones thing - you have to keep up :-D

- almost all camcorders except for the very low end are hi-def now
- almost all TVs are hi-def - at least 1080i - you can't even buy an old CRT set any more
- almost all TVs have HDMI input these days
- If you have a recent PRE you have the software necessary

The point being: if you are just keeping up at all with technology you will have most of what you need.

The only expenditure not in this list of Jones goodies is to buj the media box, and that is around $100 - not too bad an extra cost.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Bobby wrote:Yes, I agree. You have to be hi-def from end to end. But, it's a Jones thing - you have to keep up :-D
The point being: if you are just keeping up at all with technology you will have most of what you need.
The only expenditure not in this list of Jones goodies is to buj the media box, and that is around $100 - not too bad an extra cost.

Yes, that was the info I was after. I already have the hi-def TV .. was thinking of getting a new camcorder .. using PRE7. So that still leaves an additional purchase to have the whole package. Thanks again, Bobby!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby cspitser » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Paul,

I looked at the two links for director and producer. It looks like there is not anything that producer has that director doesn't have? Is that right? If so, due to the small difference in price, I should get the director. Do you agree?

Cliff
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:55 am

Hi Cliff, yes I would go with Director as well. The Producer has no doubt more DVD authoring orientated featues but it would be good to have features offered by the Director video editor. Make sure to get the Ultra edition if you want to do high definition work.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:51 am

Update on my above statement. I've now got DVD Architect Studio 5 as part of Vegas 10 Studio. It authors and plays back High Def footage on DVDs and you get all the the menu goodness that comes with DVDAS which is far more flexible that PE. They are structured like a Blu-Ray disk (my Blu-Ray player is quite happy with them) and windows 7 recognises them as such - however my XP machines don't see them and claim the disk is empty!

DVDAS is available as a stand alone product for about £25.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Paul LS » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:13 am

The Blu-ray disc structure is a UDF format. XP can not see this file structure. That said, XP can still play the discs if you have a software Blu-ray/AVCHD player.

This thread may be of interest to you Chris:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7865&p=70441#p70441
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:03 am

Paul LS wrote:The Blu-ray disc structure is a UDF format. XP can not see this file structure. That said, XP can still play the discs if you have a software Blu-ray/AVCHD player.

I have Windows XP and have installed Nero InCD Reader 5. That let's me view discs with UDF 2.5 format.

http://www.nero.com/redir.php?id=4550
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

PreviousNext

Return to Hi Def